PDA

View Full Version : Lake Conroe

nova454
04-04-2005, 06:03 PM
Anyone go to lake conroe? Moving out thare this summer and looking for info and cool people to meet. Can't wait to put the boat in! :rollside:

wrenchdaddy
04-04-2005, 06:24 PM
I live in college station, I'll be out there a few times in the summer but Im mostly gonna be hangin out at Somerville, its a real popular lake for the hot boats. What kind of boat do you have?

nova454
04-04-2005, 06:35 PM
How ya doing I have a 23' wellcraft nova with a 454 through hull brovo1. looking forward to moving to Texas from NJ some ware just below lake conroe arond july .tell me more. Thanks :idea:

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-05-2005, 03:13 AM
not alot of jetboats or low profile ***boats go to Conroe. Conroe get ROUGH being that it is completely surrounded by bulkheads. alot of BIG boats on conroe with BIG wakes. I tried once with my jet and never even made it to the main part of the lake. you should be alright with your 23' boat though
Omega

taylormanss
04-05-2005, 07:15 AM
I'll be at somerville this year! I'm gonna try and get both my boats over there!

wrenchdaddy
04-05-2005, 09:27 AM
Nova454, where exactly are you moving to? I used to live in Huffman which is right on Lake Houston, which is by the way a pretty sucky lake, lots of trash and a crappy bottom, its like 20 minutes away from humble. Lake somerville is not too far from conroe, its about 2 hours way from Huffman where I used to live.

Greaser
04-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Wrenchdaddy...... Did you ever bring your boat to college station, or is it still in Houston?

wrenchdaddy
04-05-2005, 06:19 PM
greaser, i haven;t got it up to CS yet but I plan on going and getting it next weekend. I've been trying to get my truck running with the new trans so hopefully I'll have all the bugs worked out by then.

nova454
04-05-2005, 07:39 PM
Wrenchdaddy we are looking in magnollia-montgomery not to far from the lake. I drove around lake houston did not look to good. Do you know if thare is a size or speed limit on lake conroe? what is lake sumerville like? what you got in your jet boat how fast? looks like a lot a fun. Im looking to get a bigger boat faster cant get enough of that speed thing. :)

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
04-06-2005, 08:12 AM
Wrenchdaddy we are looking in magnollia-montgomery not to far from the lake. I drove around lake houston did not look to good. Do you know if thare is a size or speed limit on lake conroe? what is lake sumerville like? what you got in your jet boat how fast? looks like a lot a fun. Im looking to get a bigger boat faster cant get enough of that speed thing. :)
I can answer your questions about Lake Conroe. I live pretty close to Magnolia also. Lake Houston is flat out nasty.......conroe is LITTERED with big boats (think 24ft-44ft boats) and I mean littered with em. the north end of Conroe has alot of stumps.... Conroe is just way to over crowded on weekends. No speed limit on Conroe but if you are in anything smaller than a 24ft you won't get anywhere fast.
Now Sommerville. Corp of Eng. Lake......sandy bottom.....shallow in spots but not too bad. great beaches.....nice campgrounds......good launch ramps.....less crowded.....most boats in the 16ft-24ft range. great folks usually hang out there.
to get to Sommerville from Magnolia is a breeze. head west on 2920 past 249 (heart of Tomball) and you will eventually run dead smack into 290 (around Praire View if memory serves me correct) get on 290 west......when you get to Brenham head north on 36 approx. 10 miles you are there. It should take about an hour to get there from Magnolia.
Omega

wrenchdaddy
04-06-2005, 01:01 PM
nova454, Lake houston is nasty, theres stumps and trees everywhere plus crap comes floating down the river after it rains. I always went to Somerville when I had a jet ski and now that I live in college station its even closer. My boat has a 468 chevy, I just bought it last year and have only had it out once. It supposedly runs 68-70 mph. I haven;t had it up that fast yet but it is VERY quick.

nova454
04-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Omega and Wrenchdaddy thank you very much for the info you guys are very cool.Texas is a great place I can't wait to move.I am thinking of selling my boat insted of halling it all the way to TX and stating over. Jet boats seam very popular thare. none in nj to many restrietions but i found one in PA a 196? slickcraft kellison 18.5' with chevy 350 crom pipes rebuilt vdrive dvbrc and parts does 70mph for $4300. sonds good and my truck yill tow that no problem. the misses is ok with that as long as we get a famly boat for conroe 3kids and us.to sped some weekends in. I took a 18' 4 banger io out on lake george NY a big lake with lots of big boats and it was a joke we got beet up. I am looking at a 28' cigerett with twin 350s I can swap my boat for to much boat for around hear. IT a 1972 all rebult ready to go but Im told it is about 8000lbs good boat for conroe but it will cost me a texas load of money to ship it.If i get the jet boat i will only have $6000 to play with for a conroe famly boat that wont get me out of the cove. TORN tell me what it is like to do 70 in a flat bottom boat sonds dangerus but fun! :eek:

wrenchdaddy
04-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Depends on what you want to do. If your gonn abe out at conroe a lot more get the cigarette, I've always wanted one of those. But a jet boat is just plain fun. Wouldn;t be too much of a family boat unless you got a bigger one.