PDA

View Full Version : First day out, Diverter gets banged hard

manuel
04-04-2005, 06:10 PM
First day out this this season, perfect weather, not too many boats out on a Monday, depth gauge shows 12' where I was just idling around, then the wakes from a passing boat lifts me and drops me on something, WHAM!,WHAM!,WHAM!, real ugly sounds, I go check it out and the bucket is just flopping up and down and I can feel the cable is broken and mounting arm is hanging down, sheared the 3 screws, bent the ram, finished the day with a bungee holding up the bucket and no trim but still a great day, bottom of diverter is not even scratched, all the damage is on the right side, weird !,http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/950100_0190.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/950100_0191.JPG
Could be worse :rolleyes:

wrenchdaddy
04-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Man that really sucks!! I wonder what you hit? or hit you?

victorfb
04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
if you were just at idle (trolling) i bet it was a giant cat fish. they like shiney things. lol
just had to put a little funny into a disaster like that, sorry. that totally sucks man. were was this, in the middle of the lake or going through a harbor? some of them harbors have all sorts of crap in em. maybe it was a pole or something. id sure like to know. very weird break and damage. hope you get it fixed soon.

manuel
04-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Right in the middle of one of our lakes is this small rocky island, people jump off of it (water still too cold) but I wanted to get some pictures of the boat from it, one side shows 33', there were geese with their young and a couple of great blue herons on it and we were taking pictures of them and the boat and some vid clips and all seemed fine, I think it might of been a stray boulder or something because 10' away the depth was 25', the sheathing on the cable is gouged bad and you can see the bare metal on the diverter arm and the bolt that holds the heim is roughed up too, but like I said the bottom looks brand new, if it had hit the bowl I'd be upset but if we can E-Z out the broken studs I'll be ok, and a new cable won't be much, but I'm almost scared to see what the ram will cost :cry:

cruser
04-04-2005, 11:39 PM
The ram should be about $80. Sorry to see your damage.

roostwear
04-05-2005, 05:16 AM
Now is when your wallet is glad you own a jet :D

superdave013
04-05-2005, 05:39 AM
Now is when your wallet is glad you own a jet :D
A really really torn up prop costs about 100 bucks to repair. I'm seeing that much damage there on a quick guess.
Sorry to see that man. Bummer way to start the season.

roostwear
04-05-2005, 05:57 AM
See how v-drive guys are? I was thinking of the damage an I/O would likely have sustained. A v-drive wouldn't have sustained ANY damage (gotta get off the trailer to do that) :D

superdave013
04-05-2005, 06:34 AM
I was talking about an IO or OB. Most of the carnage you see in the v drive forum is broken engine parts.

flat broke
04-05-2005, 07:15 AM
Good luck getting those stainless bolts out of the diverter. Make sure you have some good extractors. The last thing you want to do is bust off a POS extractor inside the hole in your busted screw. Also, if you have a drill press at your disposal I would probably pull that section of the diverter off, get it cucked up in a vise because trying to drill out the stainless with a hand drill is less than fun... Believe me, I broke 2 bolts off at the CBBB. All I had to work with was a cheesy cordless drill and some Wal Mart Black and Decker bits and extractors in the parking lot. Luckily the ghetto rigging force runs strong with myself and my brother and inappropriate use of other tools allowed the removal of the offending screws. :D
Take your time, pull the f'er appart so you can work on just that piece, if you don't have a drill press at least get it squared up in a vise at a comfortable working level, use good bits, lots of lube and make sure you center your hole as best as possible.
Oh and as for the Bimba cylinder, if you know the stroke and dimensions, you can probably pick up a replacement outside the marine community for a little less than the $80 quoted. If you are in So. Cal. Call Industrial Liquidators in Lawndale CA. They usually have a good selection of used ones laying around.
Good luck,
Chris

victorfb
04-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Industrial Liquidators....... i love that place. feel like a kid in a candy store in there. they have a couple in san diego aswell.

moneysucker
04-05-2005, 02:30 PM
Industrial liquidators is a great place for Earls fittings and hose too. In that place, Even If you can't find what you are looking for, yyou will have found a bunch of things that you can build crap with.

manuel
04-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I called Place Diverter, $95. for the ram, screws and gasket including shipping, still need to go get a new shift cable, but it's going to be 79 and sunny Sunday :cry: I might file/grind/sand the rough spot on the cable bracket and have it re-powdercoated while waiting for the parts to get here.

MudPumper
04-09-2005, 05:02 PM
The last thing you want to do is bust off inside the hole get it cucked up in a vise because trying to drill out with a hand is less than fun... Believe me, I broke 2 off at the CBBB. All I had to work with was a cheesy Black in the parking lot. Luckily the ghetto rigging force runs strong with myself and my brother and inappropriate use of other tools allowed the offending screws. :D
Take your time, you can work on just that piece, , use lots of lube and make sure you center your hole as best as possible.
Good luck,
Chris
Wow Chris. :D :D :D

Hallett19
04-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Believe me, I broke 2 bolts off at the CBBB. All I had to work with was a cheesy cordless drill and some Wal Mart Black and Decker bits and extractors in the parking lot. Luckily the ghetto rigging force runs strong with myself and my brother and inappropriate use of other tools allowed the removal of the offending screws. :D
These are the kind of guys you need around when things go wrong with your boat....
....use good bits, lots of lube and make sure you center your hole as best as possible.
These are not the kind of guys you want around when things go wrong with you boat... (especially in an area where people cant hear you scream) :D