PDA

View Full Version : Nascar Ford Blocks ???????

ONAROLL
04-05-2005, 12:15 AM
OK, Ford big block guys, can someone tell me exactly what contitutes a "NASCAR" block? is it an early, high nickel 385 series block with screw in freeze plugs or something more? I have what I was told to be a "NASCAR 540" with iron heads, I have not torn it down yet but Im curious about this old fords origins. thanks.... Vic

OkieDave
04-05-2005, 05:40 AM
Vic, I doubt if there's any such thing as a "Nascar" big block Ford.

ONAROLL
04-05-2005, 06:00 AM
Dave, the guy I got it from is somewhat of a bullshitter, but the screw in freeze plugs?, think they just ran an 1 1/4 tap and threaded them? did the old factory stock cars in the early 70's run stroked big blocks?....Vic

steelcomp
04-05-2005, 06:11 AM
I'm not familiar with anything designated as a NASCAR block, but I wouldn't put it past Ford to come up with a few one off castings back in the days they were running the big motors. Trouble is, I think most of them were the "shotgun" 429's, which were the Boss hemi's and the blocks are a little diferent from the 429 SCJ. You should be able to identify the block as such. There were two Boss blocks, an S and a T. Ons was a "street" Boss, and the other a race version. I think one could interchange between the standard heads and Boss heads, and the other couldn't without some modifications. There were push rod notches in the tops of the Boss blocks that I think could be used to tell the difference, but I really dont remember the distinct differences between the two. To say you have a "NASCAR" block, could mean you have one of the Boss blocks, converted to standard heads. Screw in freeze plugs alone don't mean anything. Someone on the boards like LakesOnly will surely chime in and tell you exactly how to identify what you have. My old Ford books were all sotlen, so I can only go by memory.
Good luck!! :coffeycup

steelcomp
04-05-2005, 06:15 AM
Dave, the guy I got it from is somewhat of a bullshitter, but the screw in freeze plugs?, think they just ran an 1 1/4 tap and threaded them? did the old factory stock cars in the early 70's run stroked big blocks?....Vic
You're right about the freeze plugs...anyone can do that, and no, the NASCAR guys didn't run strokers. Weren't alowed to, but they did run the Boss 429. You could try and contact Bud Moore Racing, and he could tell you exactly what to look for.

04-05-2005, 08:47 AM
Ford did make "NASCAR" blocks, they are higher in nickle, screw in freeze plugs, 4 bolt mains on all 5 caps. They were limited to 7 liters so there were no strokers. The B-429 was a "dry deck" engine. [no head gaskets, only 'O' rings and a sealant.] The NASCAR 429 should have a 3.59" stroke steel crank with a smaller snout than the std 429/460. B-429 also had extremly heavy rods with 1/2" bolts and pin oiling, they weighed about 1100 grams if memory serves. The 429 was used from mid 1969 [the 427 FE was used early 69] thru about 1971 when NASCAR started their shift to small block engines and Ford got out of racing.

LakesOnly
04-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Vic, get the casting numbers off the block and heads. Pic's would be nice too, but not a must. (You sure it's not an FE-series engine?)
The 385-series block casting number is just behind the starter motor. There is some chance that you just scored a C9AE (Boss-429) block, but any block can be converted to screw-in freeze plugs for $8 in parts and a 1 1/4" NPT tap. Could be an A-460 block too (which would make a 540 with ease), but that is by no means an "early" block.
LO

ONAROLL
04-05-2005, 03:58 PM
OK, hated to post this question without casting numbers, I've got one more shift here at work before I can get to the shop, I'll get the numbers and jerk the pan off to look at the mains, if it "special" I'll post pics sunday,
thanks, all of you........Vic
p.s Paul, no its not an FE