PDA

View Full Version : Fog light?????

djunkie
04-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Anyone use their foglights at night with their headlights? Is it legal? I was driving through the desert on my way to Havasu last weekend and I had my low beams on as well as my foglights on my '05 2500 hd. A lot of on coming traffic kept flashing their lights at me as if my high beams were on. Just wondering if I am in the wrong for having them on? I use them because they seem to help view the lines on the road.

goneboatin
04-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Your fog lights can remain on only with your low beams and not by themselves. The reason people were high beaming you is probably your fog lights are probably pointed up instead of out. I personally don't like driving with my fog lights on the open road because it concentrates the light close to the front of the truck, not way out where I need it. But that's just me. :messedup:

Beer-30
04-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Is your truck raised? Usually, it is lack of a re-aim after lift kit.

Lightning
04-05-2005, 08:27 PM
Is your truck raised? Usually, it is lack of a re-aim after lift kit.
This is what I was thinking. I get the high beam flash at night because of this, need to get them readjusted. Add a boat on the back and it's even worse. I have had people flip me off when behind them at night.

Beer-30
04-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Exactly. I am lowered, and raised trucks come up behind me and the beam of the headlights or fog lights are shining on my dash. Running fog lights is legal in conjuction with low beams.

victorfb
04-06-2005, 10:58 AM
here in so cal the latest fad is the "pre runner style" lifted trucks, were the front is lifted higher than the rear. now i can understand the owner of the truck not realizing what they are doing to other drivers at night because they just have the lift installed and are all excited when they go to pick up the new lifted truck without knowing. but these friggin installers should get thier lazy ass heads out their butt and finish the install which means readjust the head lights. it shouldnt be left to the owner to do this. now were it is a definte inconvenience to have these lights shining in our eyes, its also extremely dangerous. ill try and keep this short but i have to tell this story.
while driving toward eachother, two friends were coming upon eachother, one in a lifted truck , the other in a car with his girlfriend. with a bend in the road just after they crossed eachother the headlights from the lifted truck blinded the driver of the car and he missed the curve, hit the guard rail and rolled into the small creek. the driver of the truck didnt even realize as he is now going in a slightly differant direction. no direct rear veiw of the creek. the two in the rolled car were injured but were able to walk a few hundred feet to a pizza place were i was with some friends. we called emergancy services, and as we waited, the girlfriend explained what happened. the male driver died from internal injuries on the way to the hospital. (not sure what happened to the girlfriend). the driver of the truck found out what had happened the next day and was devistated. a short time later that driver of the truck, not being able to live with the guilt i guess, committed suicide. two lives lost. they were both in thier late teens.
i havnt told this story to many and get sick to my stomach when i do. i still see that poor kid in my mind and see his eyes close for proabably the last time.
that said....please adjust your headilghts. it may seem great being able to see further ahead of you on those dark highways, but your killing the other drivers. litterally.
thanks for reading....victor

djunkie
04-06-2005, 11:40 AM
My truck is bone stock. It is only a couple months old. Just seemed kinda weird cause I never had this problem in my old truck and it was lifted pretty high and I had those super white headlights in it.

Beer-30
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
There are some (maybe alot) of people that think "auxiliary" lights are for adverse conditions. Late model oem fog lights generally have the same 9006 headlight bulb (51w) as low beam. Unless they are out of adj from factory or you are towing something that squats you, they are probably just angry people. I am getting ready to add long-range lights for those late night hauls along 40. Pulling a 30, I want a little more warning of things ahead.

djunkie
04-06-2005, 03:03 PM
There are some (maybe alot) of people that think "auxiliary" lights are for adverse conditions. Late model oem fog lights generally have the same 9006 headlight bulb (51w) as low beam. Unless they are out of adj from factory or you are towing something that squats you, they are probably just angry people. I am getting ready to add long-range lights for those late night hauls along 40. Pulling a 30, I want a little more warning of things ahead.
On my old truck '97 chevy I had those super white bulbs. Well I wired it so that when you click on the high beams instead of the the low beams clicking off and high beams clicking on, they all stayed on. It was like daytime when they were on. Gonna do the same with this truck. Really helps in seeing the road. Just don't forget to click them off when cars are coming.

Beer-30
04-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Yeah, I've considered that too. Could put the 100W superwhite 9005s in the highs, get the "Hi-4" wiring kit, and do the same as additional lights. Maybe I'll try that first. Thanks for reminding me.

SeaSlut
04-29-2005, 05:00 AM
I have always run the Per-Lux fog lights. They are the ones you see on the big rig with the louvers in them.
The louvers keep the light pointed down on the road, out of oncoming traffic and from reflecting back from fog, snow or rain.

cc322
04-29-2005, 05:42 AM
I had the same thing happen traveling on the 95 heading into Havasu big rig coming my way and I was running with my low beams on and my fogs on and he kept flashing his lights at me? couldnt figure out why.

Give Me Some Slack
05-02-2005, 05:47 PM
My bro has a 2004 Chevy 2500 HD that does the same thing. The problem is that they aim up instead of straight out. And they are bigger then the ones on the older trucks. I don't know how to fix it. Maybe there is a easy way to adjust it. :rollside: