PDA

View Full Version : Boat wax?

bfab33
04-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Who makes the best boat wax?

Mrs.Racer277
04-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Contact Warlock25 here on the boards. I use Spray Frenzy Wax. It is easy and makes the boat look great. :D He has great products.

CBLavey
04-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Mother's works great and Rejex is even better... :cool: :cool:

BoatFloating
04-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I like the Driven stuff from the boat show..... ;)

voodoomedman
04-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Contact Warlock25 here on the boards. I use Spray Frenzy Wax. It is easy and makes the boat look great. :D He has great products.
Yes PM him. The stuff is great. I just used the waxing frenzy and it rocks. My boat is meticulously clean all the time but when I waxed with this stuff it pulled out dirt that we didn't even know was there. I also bought the spray wax too but haven't used it yet.

phebus
04-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Yes PM him. The stuff is great. I just used the waxing frenzy and it rocks. My boat is meticulously clean all the time but when I waxed with this stuff it pulled out dirt that we didn't even know was there. I also bought the spray wax too but haven't used it yet.
That will be the best wipedown/wax you have ever used. Takes waterspots right of effortlessly. Great stuff, and smells good too!!. :D

BadBahner
04-06-2005, 07:46 AM
I use this stuff on my boat and it is amazing...
Flash Wax Web Page (http://www.flashwax.com/)
I don't work for them or anything like that but my neighbor at the river turned me on to it and it is the best stuff I have ever used.
Eric

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-06-2005, 07:50 AM
we use frenzy.. we love it. he also has a spray wax we use on the water to wipe her down in between waxes. :)

Essex502
04-06-2005, 08:22 AM
Waxing Frenzy for me too. I use Aero Wash WaxAll for wipedown though. I like it better than the Spray Waxing Frenzy. I have some of the Driven but haven't tried it on the boat. It works well for cars though.

jbtrailerjim
04-06-2005, 08:26 AM
I like the Driven stuff from the boat show..... ;)
I'll second this. Driven works really good.

WaTchTheGelCoat
04-06-2005, 08:28 AM
I use this stuff on my boat and it is amazing...
Flash Wax Web Page (http://www.flashwax.com/)
I don't work for them or anything like that but my neighbor at the river turned me on to it and it is the best stuff I have ever used.
Eric
Definatly good stuff, easy on, easy off.

I Feel the Need...
04-06-2005, 08:37 AM
Hands Down Adams Polishes, http://adamspolishes.com/
This kid grew up across the street from me and used to detail my cars, He will be the next Maguires...

dicudmore
04-06-2005, 08:46 AM
I've been using Eagle One "Wax as-u-dry" as I pull the boat out but
the product from attn to detail is prob my next move :D

kevnmcd
04-06-2005, 08:53 AM
I'll second this. Driven works really good.
Driven is great stuff. Waxed my boat this weekend with it. Went on easy and wiped off easier! :rollside:

Cole Trickle
04-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Do you need to use a different product on gel-coat than you do on a car?
If you use a wax thats clear coat safe is it going to hurt my boat?
Brandin

Jbb
04-06-2005, 03:37 PM
http://www.collinite.com/inslatr0.gif
Collenites insulator wax (http://www.collinite.com/industry.htm)

TCHB
04-06-2005, 03:48 PM
I like using a teflon based products for the boats. With normal car wax the water wants to bead up which will cause water spots. There are marine products made by Dupont and Mequires that use the teflons.

TCHB
04-06-2005, 03:52 PM
Carnauba wax vs gel coat sealants,
which is better?
No one debates the need to seal and protect gel coat finishes but there is disagreement over how best to do it. Many "old salts" will only use a natural carnauba wax but boat manufacturers are increasingly recommending only gel coat sealants. There are a number of valid reasons for this. While carnauba waxes may be fine for fresh water, sail boats, their durability is very limited in salt water, especially on power boats. Combining the corrosive effects of salt water and the abrasion caused by the hull cutting through the water limits carnauba wax durability to 60 days or less. Above the water line is not much better. Carnauba waxes start to melt around 150 degrees f. Direct and reflected UV and thermal radiation is literally melting the wax off the finish.
Synthetic sealants on the other hand, have better bonding characteristics than carnauba waxes, better abrasion resistance and melting points in the thousands of degrees. Synthetic sealants will outlast carnauba waxes and will typically produce a brighter shine. Sealants should last 180 days, even in salt water.
So why the debate? In the early days of recreational boating, enthusiasts often applied over-the-counter, automotive sealants to their boat's gel coat. Many of these sealants contained strong petroleum solvents and/or coarse abrasives which actually accelerated gel coat oxidation. These enthusiasts were applying a "protective" sealant to their boat only to have it quickly turn a dull, chalky white. No wonder sealants got a bad image among early boaters!
Rule No. 1: Don't use automotive sealants or polishes on gel coat finishes. There are exceptions but if the manufacturer doesn't specifically recommend their product for gel coats, don't us it! Use only polishes and sealants that are designed for gel coats.
Another problem shared by both carnauba waxes and automotive sealants has to do with the very nature of gel coats. Gel coat is porous. Seen under a microscope, your boat's flat, smooth gel coat surface is millions of tiny holes! These holes, or pores, fill with microscopic grime, marine scum and salt crystals which promote gel coat oxidation. Think of this oxidation as "plastic rust". The contamination in the pores is eating away the gel coat from the inside, filling the pores with a dull, chalk. As the chalk fills more and more pores, the entire gel coat surface will take on a dull, whitish finish. Carnauba waxes and automotive sealants do not remove pre-existing micro-contamination in the pores. Worse, they seal the contamination in place where it continues to oxidize from the inside, under the protective wax.
Rule No. 2: Select a gel coat sealant that has some kind of micro-fine, cleaning or polishing agent (not a coarse abrasive) to remove existing contamination in the pores. Removing this debris and then sealing the surface with a gel coat sealant will greatly retard the oxidation process and add years to the life of your boat's finish.

Perfect Mixer
04-06-2005, 07:10 PM
I haven't tried the Waxing Frenzy, I like the Driven to Perfection, but my all time favorite is called Der Shiney Stuff, the more you use it the more it shines. It ain't cheap. I buy it from an automotive paint dealer.
www.dershineystuff.com
I was wondering if this was still around. I've used it on show cars for years, but never on a boat. Of coarse I've never had a nice enough boat to try it on yet. I used to get it at Denaults, but I think that they stoped selling it. The DerVynilstuff is awsome too!