PDA

View Full Version : What can make a sharper turn?

SPECTRA77
04-05-2005, 08:02 PM
I had a discussion with a freind, he said that a tournament ski boat (Ski Nautigue) could make a faster turn than an I.O. of the same length.
I said that a I.O. could because the outdrive was turning, and a direct drive only the rudder was turning.
What do you think???

Havasu Hangin'
04-05-2005, 08:05 PM
Tournament boats have a fin on the bottom that allows them to turn on a dime.

XtrmWakeborder
04-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Deffinately a tourny boat..ive seen a video of one turning inside of a a swimming pool!

HEDJUG
04-06-2005, 07:51 AM
I have a 18 I/O and I have a buddy with a 18' Mastercraft. The I/O will turn better at idle speeds, but the Mastercraft with its skegs whoops it at higher speeds. It will turn 3x faster & not loose much speed.

dicudmore
04-06-2005, 07:57 AM
agreed....those tourney boats can u-turn like no others :D
they get a lot of practice going back for the victim on the wake-board

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-06-2005, 08:00 AM
I say Mr V .. he makes a great U turn in the sheets. :D :D

Racer277
04-06-2005, 08:17 AM
I say Mr V .. he makes a great U turn in the sheets. :D :D
Mrs. Vee, you made me laugh on a shitty morning!
Thanks! :D :D :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Mrs. Vee, you made me laugh on a shitty morning!
Thanks! :D :D :D
LOL!! your welcome honey.. :D

RiverDave
04-06-2005, 08:23 AM
I had a discussion with a freind, he said that a tournament ski boat (Ski Nautigue) could make a faster turn than an I.O. of the same length.
I said that a I.O. could because the outdrive was turning, and a direct drive only the rudder was turning.
What do you think???
Tourny boat hands down. Some of the older ones (pre step bottoms and funky designs) You can actually spin in their own wake like a sea doo. ;)
RD

deltarat
04-06-2005, 09:27 AM
I can tell you from experince my buddies Stoker can turn sharper and at a higher rate of speed than most comp boats.

jackpunx
04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
I can tell you from experince my buddies Stoker can turn sharper and at a higher rate of speed than most comp boats.
I was just getting ready to say something like that..lol..
Looks like you guys have never ridden in a stoker? :D

dicudmore
04-06-2005, 09:38 AM
I was just getting ready to say something like that..lol..
Looks like you guys have never ridden in a stoker? :D
JP....that's haven't ridden in a Stoker yet :D
and I'll pay for a demo any time

hoolign
04-06-2005, 09:43 AM
What can make a sharper turn?
Tom Brown entering a washroom stall after the all you can eat at " The Chili and Branery"

jackpunx
04-06-2005, 09:44 AM
JP....that's haven't ridden in a Stoker yet :D
and I'll pay for a demo any time
LMAO.. Im not much for brANES but I shure gots a purdy smile :D
thanks for the english lesson.. Your demo ride will be extra..lol :D
J/k

speedneeder
04-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Interesting. Most tournamnet boats dont reach a high rate of speed.

RiverDave
04-06-2005, 10:40 AM
I would respectfully disagree.
RD

jackpunx
04-06-2005, 10:48 AM
I would respectfully disagree.
RD
I would repectfully disagree to your disagreement..
maybe in special cases.. Well.. maybe your right.. but for arguments sake.. lets just say your not :D

speedneeder
04-06-2005, 10:53 AM
While stoker is a great boat you can not compare the two turning radius's. most approved tourneys tap out in the low 40mph range and years ago I remember guys skiing and swinging outside of the tournament boat as their boat pulled a 180 degree turn. those same skiers did not want to attempt those manuevers in the stoker.

RiverDave
04-06-2005, 10:59 AM
While stoker is a great boat you can not compare the two turning radius's. most approved tourneys tap out in the low 40mph range and years ago I remember guys skiing and swinging outside of the tournament boat as their boat pulled a 180 degree turn. those same skiers did not want to attempt those manuevers in the stoker.
Stoker is a great boat, and at a high rate of speed they turn better then just about any tunnel out there (or most) but a tourny boat can turn so hard that even if your holding on they can on occasion surprise you enough to put you on the other side of the boat. Tourny boat is basically just a flat bottom with turning fins, and on smooth water a stoker isn't going to touch a flat in terms of how many G's it can pull in a corner.. (Hence circle racing boats) only thing that turns harder is an outboard Tunnel, and from what I can recall they pull more G's then anything on the planet.
My personal experiences are coming from back when I used to drink heavily.. LOL A couple of my friends had Tourny boats, so one night.....
RD

Moe_Havi
04-06-2005, 11:11 AM
I own an 84 Ski Eliminator with an Indmar 454 direct drive with skegs. In its day ( I don't push it too hard now) it would top out at just over 50 on the dual Airglide speedos and could turn completely around in it's own wake as fast as you want to go. The hull would stay perfectly flat in the U turn with no roll at all. The boat has 700 hours and still runs great. I also have a 230i Chaparral and it is hard getting used to all the slop in the steering and throttle. Eliminator still tight as a drum.

uclahater
04-06-2005, 11:15 AM
The superstock sprint boats turn 2 to 3 g's in the turns :D
the Outboards tunnel (circle boats pull 5 to 6 g's in the turn) making only a fighter jet that pulls more.
RD something we agree on :D :hammer2:

Trigger
04-06-2005, 11:25 AM
As someone who has driven the Tourny Ski boats it is absolutely the fastest turning boat. At wide open you can crank the wheel, the nose grabs apoint and the a$$ end will completely go around you while your nose does not move. We would pull skiers and have them do a 360 all the way around the boat. Hard plant 180 gets the skier whipping and then when boat settles, drive back from the direction you did the 180 at. Skier settles back behind you as you drive away facing the way you originally were going. simple manuver with the ski boat. Would not try it with any other boat except maybe the jetski boats (but they are too light for the whip).

RiverOtter
04-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Tourny boat hands down. Some of the older ones (pre step bottoms and funky designs) You can actually spin in their own wake like a sea doo. ;)
RD
I've done that! It's quite a rush! :D

I Feel the Need...
04-06-2005, 11:36 AM
Tournament boats have a fin on the bottom that allows them to turn on a dime.
I used to own one, I could turn in a 10ft radis...

Moe_Havi
04-06-2005, 11:44 AM
They're good to have if your skiing in the San Gabrial flood channel between Long Beach and Seal beach. You can run way up by the 405 and do a 180 with a skier while dodging sunken shopping carts, rocks and other assorted floatsum and jetsum as well as every other piece of polluted scum that would float down that shit hole. The water was always glass though. Tough to have a good run in Marine stadium on a Saturday afternoon.
Moe

Wakker
04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
only thing that turns harder is an outboard Tunnel, and from what I can recall they pull more G's then anything on the planet.
RD
I agree...

RidinRed
04-07-2005, 05:20 PM
fastest turning boats would be Outerlimits GTX or Skater 46. Both can turn at >150 mph. lol

Wicky
04-07-2005, 10:46 PM
90 mph and I pulled a U turn in 30 ft!!!!
Have the scars to prove it!!!!

V-DRIVE VIDEO
04-07-2005, 11:14 PM
fastest turning boats would be Outerlimits GTX or Skater 46. Both can turn at >150 mph. lol
Fastest turning boat is an unlimited hydroplane! They go into a turn at nearly 200.
I've ridden in and driven several tourney boats, a prostock flatbottom circle racer a stoker sport tunnel with a rude and many Io's. The flat bottom and the stoker turned wayyyyy harder than the tourney boats or any IO's I've rode in.