PDA

View Full Version : Equalizing Hitches?

Essex502
04-06-2005, 08:12 AM
We are ordering our new boat and since it is a much larger boat than the last one (28' versus 21') and heavier I am pondering the use of a weight distributing or equalizing hitch versus a standard one. What are some opinions on these? Are the worth the money? My normal tow is but a few miles but occasionally want to tow 300-400 miles.
Opinions?

HavasuDreamin'
04-06-2005, 10:53 AM
It depends on what you are pulling it with. If you have a dually, or a diesel truck that is set up right, I wouldn't spend the money. If you are using a half ton truck, a tahoe or something that isn't as beefy as the above mentioned, an equalizing hitch can significantly help the handling of the vehicle on longer hauls. I would definately recommend them in this situation. The only drawback in my experience has been trying to navigate tight situations. The set-up I used had brackets that bolted to the trailer. The bolts would bend in a sharp turn. Perhpas there are newer models out now.
Good Luck.

Havasu Hangin'
04-06-2005, 12:26 PM
I bought the Reese Titan system. If you have alot of tongue weight, and don't want to put bags on, it's a great system. You can feel the extra weight on the front tires...I'm sure it's easier on the truck suspension.
Like HavasuDreamin' said, the bars will pop off in a tight turn, so you just leave them off around the ramps.
For a couple hundred punds of tongue weight...it might be overkill.

bohica
04-06-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't think you can use weight distributing hitches with trailers that have surge brakes. With the bars attached, how would the coupler be able to move forward and back. Most are used on trailers with electric brakes.

Havasu Hangin'
04-06-2005, 05:03 PM
I don't think you can use weight distributing hitches with trailers that have surge brakes. With the bars attached, how would the coupler be able to move forward and back. Most are used on trailers with electric brakes.
I've heard you can (bars are attached with chains to allow side to side movement), but I think it depends on the surge system.
Mine are electric.

HavasuDreamin'
04-07-2005, 11:43 AM
The system I had worked on my trailer which had surge brakes. You probably want to verify that with the system you purchase. :chi:

gnarley
04-07-2005, 12:48 PM
There is a system made where the bars are not a static lenght and sit in a channel and slide when necessary for surge brake applications

Essex502
04-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Good points - all. The system I am looking at claims it works with surge brakes. The truck I will be towing with is a 2005 Dodge 2500 Heavy Duty Cummins with the 8' bed. Should be stout enough to tow. I am just looking for the best method for towing long distances across I-40 for example that can get unexpectedly windy on occasion.

BLOWN HOWARD
04-08-2005, 09:52 AM
That truck will handle a 28ft boat no problem with out any special hitches!!!! Just make sure you run a class 5 or titan and it will be fine.