PDA

View Full Version : Anyone stay at Pine Knoll campground at Nacimiento?

tamalewagon
04-06-2005, 09:02 AM
How did you like it? Convenience/location to the lake/restaurant/lounge etc.
What part of the campground is the best to try get a site in? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Tamalewagon

tamalewagon
04-06-2005, 12:59 PM
bump...anyone? hello?

Phat Daddy
04-06-2005, 01:56 PM
What part of the campground is the best to try get a site in? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Tamalewagon
Hey Tamalewagon, I stay there every year (annual) trip from May 9th-14th. That is the one trip that does'nt come soon enough. We go with a pretty big group (approx. 20 +) and we stay right under the big Ficus trees next to the bathroom/ showers. The store is close enough to walk to. Its cool to bring a mountain bike to get around. The boat goes in the water when we get there and stays there till we leave. Not a real big party place except for the big weekends. You will love it if you've never been and it will be on your list of top spots... just my 02 :D

Red Eye
04-06-2005, 03:16 PM
There isn't a better campground on that lake then Pine Knolls. The lake is almost at capacity so the water is right next to the campsites. Try just below the playground. There's room enough for 15-20+ people.

tamalewagon
04-07-2005, 08:49 AM
Hey Tamalewagon, I stay there every year (annual) trip from May 9th-14th. That is the one trip that does'nt come soon enough. We go with a pretty big group (approx. 20 +) and we stay right under the big Ficus trees next to the bathroom/ showers. The store is close enough to walk to. Its cool to bring a mountain bike to get around. The boat goes in the water when we get there and stays there till we leave. Not a real big party place except for the big weekends. You will love it if you've never been and it will be on your list of top spots... just my 02 :D
Thanks! I used to go there as a kid with my family, but don't remember it. Sounds like a great place to go. Especially during the June, July months when the river is much too hot for the little ones. Thanks again for your .02. :D

tamalewagon
04-07-2005, 08:50 AM
There isn't a better campground on that lake then Pine Knolls. The lake is almost at capacity so the water is right next to the campsites. Try just below the playground. There's room enough for 15-20+ people.
Thanks Red Eye. How long of a drive do you think it would be from San Diego?

redneckgirl
04-07-2005, 09:22 AM
SD is a 6 hour drive for us!!! If your towing I would guess 7 hours??? just a guess though!
RNG

tamalewagon
04-07-2005, 01:08 PM
SD is a 6 hour drive for us!!! If your towing I would guess 7 hours??? just a guess though!
RNG
Thanks RNG. I take it Atascadero is fairly close to Naci? I can't wait to see the lake..I'm sure I'll remember it more when I see it all again. :cool:

Red Eye
04-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Thanks RNG. I take it Atascadero is fairly close to Naci? I can't wait to see the lake..I'm sure I'll remember it more when I see it all again. :cool:
When are you going up? I'll be there Apr 20-24.

redneckgirl
04-07-2005, 01:38 PM
We are about 30 minutes south if Naci!!!! :D :D We went out on Saturday... It is about 5 feet from spilling!!!! It is awesome... but there was alot of logs floating :2purples: Have you been on their website yet to see the pictures. Naci (http://www.nacimientoresort.com/) I took some pictures last weekend. I will download them and post any good ones.
RNG

tamalewagon
04-07-2005, 02:41 PM
We're not going to be up there until mid July sometime. Our kids are 2 and 3, so the river is just way too hot.

Red Eye
04-07-2005, 03:48 PM
We are about 30 minutes south if Naci!!!! :D :D We went out on Saturday... It is about 5 feet from spilling!!!! It is awesome... but there was alot of logs floating :2purples: Have you been on their website yet to see the pictures. Naci (http://www.nacimientoresort.com/) I took some pictures last weekend. I will download them and post any good ones.
RNG
RNG I'd like to take a look at those pics you have for the lake? How bad was the debris when you were there?

redneckgirl
04-08-2005, 07:31 AM
The debris was the worst I have seen it... we must have seen at least ten 6 foot + logs!!!
Here are some pictures from our trip on March 12 and last Saturday!
Dam on 3-12 it is up a few feet now.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1405DCP_0006.JPG
Campgrounds
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1405DCP_0002.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1405DCP_0004.JPG

redneckgirl
04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
If you are coming in July you should come the weekend of July 16 for the Naci Boat Bash (see thread on Hot Spots West)
Heritage Lanch Ramp
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1405DCP_0008.JPG
Heritage Ranch
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1405DCP_0007.JPG
Marina
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1405DCP_0041.JPG
Las Tablas Party Spot
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1405DCP_0038.JPG
For more pictures check out my gallery. There are pics from last year and this year... What a difference!!!! :rollside:
RNG (http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/showgallery.php?ppuser=1405&cat=500)
RNG

tamalewagon
04-08-2005, 07:49 AM
A huge thanks for providing the pictures RNG! How are the temps in summer? I know the lake is fairly close to the ocean, so I'm wondering if it stays fairly cool due to the "June gloom" effect. ???

redneckgirl
04-08-2005, 08:00 AM
A huge thanks for providing the pictures RNG! How are the temps in summer? I know the lake is fairly close to the ocean, so I'm wondering if it stays fairly cool due to the "June gloom" effect. ???
We have great weather in summer!!!! It varies normally around 100 during the day but can cool down to as low as 50 at night!!! Great for peaople who camp without air conditioning. :D :D
This was taken on 3/12/05... Something you won't see at Havasu...Ocean fog rolling over the mountains.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1405DCP_0045.JPG
RNG

BarryMac
04-08-2005, 08:33 AM
We're not going to be up there until mid July sometime. Our kids are 2 and 3, so the river is just way too hot.
tamalewagon, when you get a firm date let me know, that may be worth bringing the boat back from the river and taking an extra week off to drive up for, I will be in Minneapolis from July 2nd thru July 7th so if it is at least a couple of weekends later we may be able to do it, if you are wanting a little extra company.
We have great weather in summer!!!! It varies normally around 100 during the day but can cool down to as low as 50 at night!!! Great for people who camp without air conditioning.
It looks like a pretty large lake, how is the water temp in the summer? We would probably be in a cab over camper w/out a/c so it sounds like we would be okay. Thanks, the pictures that you posted are great. BTW, is the lake JetBoat friendly??? Roost Up... :D :D :D

redneckgirl
04-08-2005, 08:55 AM
tamalewagon, when you get a firm date let me know, that may be worth bringing the boat back from the river and taking an extra week off to drive up for, I will be in Minneapolis from July 2nd thru July 7th so if it is at least a couple of weekends later we may be able to do it, if you are wanting a little extra company.
It looks like a pretty large lake, how is the water temp in the summer? We would probably be in a cab over camper w/out a/c so it sounds like we would be okay. Thanks, the pictures that you posted are great. BTW, is the lake JetBoat friendly??? Roost Up... :D :D :D
It is a big lake here is the info:Naci (http://www.nacimientoresort.com/)
lake levels (http://www.mcwra.co.monterey.ca.us/Agency_data/ReservoirData/CurrentReservoirData/d&r_current_n.htm)
Yes it is jet boat friendly...we actually towed one in last weekend. He lost his diverter!!!! :D :D
RNG

tamalewagon
04-08-2005, 08:59 AM
GJB, that would be great to have you guys along. I'm thinking the 19th-24rd. (tues-sun). I understand they may allow a jetboat or two on the lake if you're a good boy. I've got my "wacka" so if anyone actually wants to ski...they can! Oops...did I say that? :D :D

tamalewagon
04-08-2005, 09:05 AM
RNG...if you guys are free that week, c'mon up too! :cool:

BarryMac
04-08-2005, 09:32 AM
It is a big lake here is the info:Naci (http://www.nacimientoresort.com/)
lake levels (http://www.mcwra.co.monterey.ca.us/Agency_data/ReservoirData/CurrentReservoirData/d&r_current_n.htm)
Yes it is jet boat friendly...we actually towed one in last weekend. He lost his diverter!!!! :D :D
RNG
Wow, losing your diverter sucks... :D :D :D
GJB, that would be great to have you guys along. I'm thinking the 19th-24rd. (tues-sun). I understand they may allow a jetboat or two on the lake if you're a good boy. I've got my "wacka" so if anyone actually wants to ski...they can! Oops...did I say that?
That may just work, we probably wouldn't be able to do the whole week, I was thinking maybe leaving the 21st early and coming home on the 24th as lata as possible. Man, I hope that I can make this happen, my wife says that we need to explore more than just Martinez, I agree, Naci looks like it would be a lot of fun...

Red Eye
04-08-2005, 10:05 AM
It looks like a pretty large lake, how is the water temp in the summer? We would probably be in a cab over camper w/out a/c so it sounds like we would be okay. Thanks, the pictures that you posted are great. BTW, is the lake JetBoat friendly??? Roost Up... :D :D :D[/QUOTE]
The lake temp is fine. It's not snow runoff so it's not freezing. If you go in July, you'll definately want to "check the prop" a few times as RNG said it gets aroung 100 degrees. Jets are fine BTW.

tamalewagon
04-08-2005, 10:40 AM
Wow, losing your diverter sucks... :D :D :D
That may just work, we probably wouldn't be able to do the whole week, I was thinking maybe leaving the 21st early and coming home on the 24th as lata as possible. Man, I hope that I can make this happen, my wife says that we need to explore more than just Martinez, I agree, Naci looks like it would be a lot of fun...
There will be no mandatory schedules. Never is! :D
Come when you want to come...leave when you want to leave. My wife and I are also of the same mind as your wife, wanting to explore more than just the river. There's some great lakes in the Sierra foothills like New Hogan, Comanche, Camp Far West etc that also need looking into. :idea: :D

BarryMac
04-08-2005, 10:49 AM
There will be no mandatory schedules. Never is! :D
Come when you want to come...leave when you want to leave. My wife and I are also of the same mind as your wife, wanting to explore more than just the river. There's some great lakes in the Sierra foothills like New Hogan, Comanche, Camp Far West etc that also need looking into. :idea: :D
I am sure that she is going to be down for it. Looks like there are some spots that you could put a couple of RV's on, maybe we could share one???
The lake temp is fine. It's not snow runoff so it's not freezing. If you go in July, you'll definately want to "check the prop" a few times as RNG said it gets aroung 100 degrees. Jets are fine BTW.
Thanks Red Eye...

redneckgirl
04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
GJB, that would be great to have you guys along. I'm thinking the 19th-24rd. (tues-sun). I understand they may allow a jetboat or two on the lake if you're a good boy. I've got my "wacka" so if anyone actually wants to ski...they can! Oops...did I say that? :D :D
We could probably make it out one day that weekend!!! We will be out definetly the weekend before "Naci Boat Bash"! The weekend after is the Shockwave Regatta in Havasu...so we will need to get ready to leave that next week to the zoo :D :D
RNG

tamalewagon
04-08-2005, 12:57 PM
I am sure that she is going to be down for it. Looks like there are some spots that you could put a couple of RV's on, maybe we could share one???
Thanks Red Eye...
No prob. More da merrier!

Red Eye
04-08-2005, 03:44 PM
RNG- since I'll be up there in a couple of weeks and I'll probably need to fill up the tank on the lake, what is the going rate for gas at the marina?

tamalewagon
04-08-2005, 06:03 PM
RNG...what's the water temp in the summer time?

redneckgirl
04-08-2005, 09:34 PM
RNG- since I'll be up there in a couple of weeks and I'll probably need to fill up the tank on the lake, what is the going rate for gas at the marina?
Not sure but I will check for ya!!!
RNG

redneckgirl
04-08-2005, 09:36 PM
RNG...what's the water temp in the summer time?
It is nice... around 70ish!!!! :D :D we do not have snow run off!!!! It is filled by rain water!!! :D
RNG

Brooski
04-08-2005, 11:00 PM
We are planning to be up there the same weekend, Friday thru Sunday. And again the weekend before Memorial weekend, Thursday thru Monday. In April, it is still unknown if we are staying in Pine Knoll or at Heritage campgrounds. In May, we are staying in Pine Knoll.
I love the lake, have been going every year since the mid 70s. Water temp is around 68-70 during the summer. Very friendly to jet boats, as long as you are not an idiot trying to race everyone. I have always had a jet and never been hassled. Water should be starting to invade the campgrounds right now. Gonna be a great season. BTW, the lake is 3 hours from Ventura. You can shave off an hour if you take the 5 up to Hwy 46, then cut across to Paso.
RNG, I will show up this time, promise. lol :shift: Is all the debris large, or is there alot of small stuff that can get stuck in the jet?

redneckgirl
04-09-2005, 07:40 AM
RNG, I will show up this time, promise. lol :shift: Is all the debris large, or is there alot of small stuff that can get stuck in the jet?
There was both small & large debris... it seemed to be bunched up in a few places. There were a few jets out last weekend...including the one we towed to Heritage...they lost there diverter!!!! :D
RNG

Brooski
04-09-2005, 08:58 AM
That is not something I would want to lose. :hammer2: Thanks for the info. If the debris is bunched up, I can avoid that. I cant wait

tamalewagon
04-09-2005, 03:11 PM
We are planning to be up there the same weekend, Friday thru Sunday. And again the weekend before Memorial weekend, Thursday thru Monday. In April, it is still unknown if we are staying in Pine Knoll or at Heritage campgrounds. In May, we are staying in Pine Knoll.
I love the lake, have been going every year since the mid 70s. Water temp is around 68-70 during the summer. Very friendly to jet boats, as long as you are not an idiot trying to race everyone. I have always had a jet and never been hassled. Water should be starting to invade the campgrounds right now. Gonna be a great season. BTW, the lake is 3 hours from Ventura. You can shave off an hour if you take the 5 up to Hwy 46, then cut across to Paso.
Brooski...thanks for the insight on the directions...that'll definately help with keeping my sanity on the drive with my small kids.

Brooski
04-09-2005, 06:00 PM
Brooski...thanks for the insight on the directions...that'll definately help with keeping my sanity on the drive with my small kids.
You're welcome. Make a note to yourself, there aren't as many available stops when you take the 5, so plan ahead or dont wait for the next exit, especially with children. The next exit may be 20 or 30 miles away.

tamalewagon
04-10-2005, 08:10 AM
You're welcome. Make a note to yourself, there aren't as many available stops when you take the 5, so plan ahead or dont wait for the next exit, especially with children. The next exit may be 20 or 30 miles away.
Got the RV rolling so we're ok there and thank God because the wife is preggie and would be asking to stop every 5 minutes! :D