PDA

View Full Version : Engine needed

Kachina26
04-07-2005, 09:12 AM
My buddy at work has a 1974 Tahiti mini day cruiser with a 455 olds and a berkley jet. He is looking to re-power the boat and wants to go with a 454. Nothing real crazy, maybe 400+ HP. Any ideas?

Foggerjet
04-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Why? Did the Olds Let go, or is it just tired? 400 hp should be real easy, Basically stock, decent cam and good exhaust/ Carb and intake, and you're there.
fog

Kachina26
04-07-2005, 01:46 PM
It's just been sitting for a couple of years, and he believes that 454 stuff is gonna be cheaper than olds stuff to work with. I have enough projects of my own, so building one for him is out. Hell, what could he expect to pay to get his olds built?

Foggerjet
04-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Geez, I dunno. I stuck with the Olds in mine, It was henshit when I bought it. So I figured With the added expense of buying a 454 motor, mounts, exhaust, drive adapter and all the rest and then rebuild the motor the way I want it, I'd just build the 455 instead 'cause I have all the 455 stuff to go with it. Well, I'm a moron. Looking back I probly could have repowered for the $$ I spent. I wanted to make sure it lasted, so I overbuilt it (if there is such a thing). Anyway it does run real good, and I'm pleased with it. I'm not scared to hold it flat out. But a 454 or a 460 doesn't require the extra little things that an Olds does to make it (hopefully) hold together at 5500+ rpm. 5500 is childs play to a decent 454. Olds motors run good and are real reliable unless you try to rev it to the moon. And for enough $$$ you can go ahead and rev it. I'd say a decent build, nothing racy, using a good machinist and top shelf parts should cost 2-3k down here. I dunno about out west. Tell him to tear that 455 down. It might just need a ring/bearing deal and be on the water. But, then again it has been sitting for some reason.
fog

Kachina26
04-07-2005, 02:37 PM
But, then again it has been sitting for some reason.
fog Just a rotted out stringer that I've been on him to get done.
:hammerhea

obnoxious001
04-07-2005, 05:54 PM
I have a new 496 Chevy that I am getting ready to assemble and sell. Rotating assembly is all forged, including SRP flat top pistons. Should be pretty easy to make 500 hp with it even with just iron heads and single carb. I was going to put a new set of aluminum heads on it, but can put some used iron heads on it and keep the cost down. Complete price would depend on what parts are bolted on the short block, short block alone is $3200. Email me for more details. agt001@aol.com