PDA

View Full Version : Current Super Stock Rules

FlatRacer
04-07-2005, 12:28 PM
SS Racers:
I'm mounting an effort to return to racing, but I'm not currently a member so I need to ask a few questions:
What new Chevy heads are allowed under current SS rules? I need part numbers.
Stupid question: Of the new heads available from Chevy, which do you feel is the best to run, and why?
What is the current weight minimum? Is that w/ or w/o driver?
Where can I get blocks of closed cell flotation?
Are Dart heads and intakes allowed, or are they still reserved for capsuled hulls?
Thanks,
Eric Tolnes, SS/PS/CanAm 86, "Already Gone"

Moneypitt
04-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Eric, I don't have any answers to your questions as I am not involved with the SS ers. As you may know, the SSRA will be running at Firebird this weekend and the people here that may be able to set you straight about the current rules may already be on their way to Chandler. Are you planing to run the SSRA deal, or APBA?? Either way you can join on line and maybe even get a rule book on line......Try the APBA site as well as the SSRA site for more info. There is a link to SSRA at the scscracing.net web site. Some rules that were changed at the Atlanta gathering are posted on the APBA site, although the issues you are refering to were not that recent, and most of what was listed concerned safety.......Hope this helps you.......MP Ray PS 89

the real k-boat king
04-07-2005, 03:45 PM
SS Racers:
I'm mounting an effort to return to racing, but I'm not currently a member so I need to ask a few questions:
What new Chevy heads are allowed under current SS rules? I need part numbers.
Stupid question: Of the new heads available from Chevy, which do you feel is the best to run, and why?
What is the current weight minimum? Is that w/ or w/o driver?
Where can I get blocks of closed cell flotation?
Are Dart heads and intakes allowed, or are they still reserved for capsuled hulls?
Thanks,
Eric Tolnes, SS/PS/CanAm 86, "Already Gone"dart part # 19100070 heads with manley 3\8 stem valves only no titiaum. only dart intake on capsule boats, boat weight is with driver 1800 lbs after the heat race. dart is the best head i have run them all.

CircleJerk
04-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Welcome back Eric to the land of adrenaline aplenty and stupid mental mistakes! Best of Luck. Blindside the D.P. for me. :D

FlatRacer
04-08-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks, Gordy.
So, with an open cockpit boat you can run Dart heads, but you still have to run the Chevy intake, right?
And did I hear correctly that stud girdles are now legal?
Eric

the real k-boat king
04-08-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks, Gordy.
So, with an open cockpit boat you can run Dart heads, but you still have to run the Chevy intake, right?
And did I hear correctly that stud girdles are now legal?
Ericstud girdles are legal and yes you half to run the gm dual plane intake. je piston # 162840 is the 60 over set still a flat tappet cam any steel rod and lunati or crower crank.

FlatRacer
04-11-2005, 08:43 AM
stud girdles are legal and yes you half to run the gm dual plane intake. je piston # 162840 is the 60 over set still a flat tappet cam any steel rod and lunati or crower crank.
I'm all set with the short block. Just need heads. Thanks for the info.
Gotta get current with flotation and all that crap; get my jacket and slings recertified, get my medical up to date, etc. etc. etc.........
Hey, anybody got a set of 18% or 15% gears for sale?
Eric

BBorS
04-22-2005, 09:18 PM
Gordies got you on the right path.. You should get a Apba rule book, That will have all the req cc's on the heads and more of the parts that is APBA legal. It sounds like Apba just made legal a new GM head (401) that you might be able to find a deal on. I agree with gordie, I also think the dart is the best but if your on a budget there are other options. I have got some pretty good stuff at some auto swap meets if you know what your looking for. I got a STD/STD 427 (#6223) crankshaft at a swap meet last summer for $50.00 is passed mag and has so far worked out good. I also got a set of Steel GM heads for $200.00 at the same swap meet and I have since sold them a tripled my money invested. Get some number and keep your eyes open especially :wink: if your on a budget. Glad your coming back we need all the players we can get...