PDA

View Full Version : To Droop Or Snoot A Big Boat

PLACECRAFT20
04-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Well here we go again. The only reason I am starting this is I have never seen another boat like mine and I was hoping some of you California boys have. I have a 20' Placecraft daycruiser. Aproximately 500hp on motor and 675hp on the bottle. The boat runs 70 GPSED on the motor. I am looking for a little more. The boat has a set back pump, loader and rideplate. The shoe on the boat is an MPD. I was wanting to know which snoot you guys think would work best. The boat is probably 2500lbs with motor. Lets here what yall think for big non drag type boats. here is the picture.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/252PC4jpg.JPG
Here is the back.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/252tabs.JPG
Here is the motor setup(the top picture is when I first got it)
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/252motor404jpg.JPG

Ken F
04-07-2005, 05:17 PM
PC-20,
I went through about the same senerio with my 21' Omega open bow. Bout the same power & weight. The snoot picked up the top end about 6 mph, but it went along with some changes in set-up also.
Heavy boats like a larger nozzle & impeller. The way Duane explained it was:
"more water out the back, more weight forward".
My suggestion would be call Duane and talk to him about it. He's set up quite a few boats now with the snoot, and can sure guide you through it.
Who chromed your pump for you???? I've been looking for 4 months trying to find someplace to do it!
Ken F

Duane HTP
04-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Placecraft 20, I would need quite a bit more information to help you determine which would work the best for you. Some boats like the Snoot, some don't. Same with the Droop Snoot. If you would give me a call at 316-794-8616 I have a bucket full of questions to ask that would help you pick the right product. Duane HTP
It just takes too long for me to type out all of the stuff we need to talk about.

Dana Marine Products
04-07-2005, 05:35 PM
Call Ron at Placecraft, he's very knowledgable about his boats. He's probably set more than one up with a Droop Snoot.

Sleek26
04-07-2005, 09:58 PM
That's one mighty nice lookin ride Bubba!

PLACECRAFT20
04-08-2005, 05:35 AM
Thanks for all the advise and complements. Duane I will give you a call. I have already bought things from you and like your service. I wish I had the money to just bring you the boat and let you do the pump build up like you did for the boat on the snoot write up a year or so back.
I got the pump chromed by Eagle Plating in Jacksonville Tx. It was along wait but well worth the effort. (I did mine in the winter.) The number is 903-589-0858. Thanks again Mitch

ChetCapoli
04-08-2005, 05:41 AM
PC-20,
The snoot picked up the top end about 6 mph, but it went along with some changes in set-up also.
Ken F
yea.....alot of changes i'm sure. If memory serves though, didnt you end up with a droop in the end?? Man, between you and squirtcha i dont know whose worse with the snoot exageration. :rolleyes:
My suggestion would be to borrow a droop somewhere and fine tune your shoe setup since most if not all boats like yours seem to have a droop and not a snoot. Call mpd(write this down :)) since your hardware came from there or even gary snow(sdba069) since he is close to you or even the guy who made the boat like mentioned. Otherwise, we probably will see the snoot on your boat and never really know what works and what doesn't.... :D
CHET

Taylorman
04-08-2005, 06:18 AM
yea.....alot of changes i'm sure. If memory serves though, didnt you end up with a droop in the end?? Man, between you and squirtcha i dont know whose worse with the snoot exageration. :rolleyes:
My suggestion would be to borrow a droop somewhere and fine tune your shoe setup since most if not all boats like yours seem to have a droop and not a snoot. Call mpd(write this down :)) since your hardware came from there or even gary snow(sdba069) since he is close to you or even the guy who made the boat like mentioned. Otherwise, we probably will see the snoot on your boat and never really know what works and what doesn't.... :D
CHET
Dude, you really need a life. Better yet, you need to get laid to vent some of your frustrations.
FYI, im about to buy a straight snoot and im going to cheerlead. Just thought you should know so you can prepare to flame me.

TexasJet
04-11-2005, 08:46 AM
PLACECRAFT 20, My boat is the one Duane worked on about a year ago. At that time he tried the droop and found that the snoot got about 2 MPH more that the droop. This winter Garry Snow ( SDB-069 ) did some work on by boat. One of the things he did was to straighten and true-up the bottom running surface. During the testing after the bottom mods he pulled the snoot off and replaced it with a droop. He tested several different combinations of wedges and found that the droop gave him a net increase of 0 MPH. He put the snoot back on. He told me he was very supprised that the droop did not give my boat any performance gains. I am not making any generalizations about all boats, just my boat. The only thing I have learned for certain in the last two years in spending alot of money on my boat is that some things work and some don't but the one constant is it all costs alot of money. Best of luck to you. TJ

jdf
04-11-2005, 09:07 AM
hey tj garry told me about the hard left turn your can make see you at the shoot

Ken F
04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
>If memory serves though, didnt you end up with a droop in the end?? Man, between you and squirtcha i dont know whose worse with the snoot exageration.<
No, actually your memory is as backwards as you are. Went from a droop to the snoot, and THAT is where I picked up the mph.

Sanger Jet
04-12-2005, 01:55 PM
I just had Duane add a snoot.........If it ever stops raining I will get to try it.

LVjetboy
04-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Chet posted: "Call mpd...since your hardware came from there..."
Say what? Say it isn't so.
jer

BK
04-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Whats the differance between the snoot American Turbine sellsAT Snoot (http://www.americanturbine.com/)
and the one HTP sells?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3670100_0143-med.JPG

flat broke
04-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Whats the differance between the snoot American Turbine sellsAT Snoot (http://www.americanturbine.com/)
and the one HTP sells?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3670100_0143-med.JPG
To the best of my knowledge, the AT snoot isn't compatible with Berk/Dom/Legend diverters/nozzles. It has a ball instead of a socket like the snoot that HTP sells.
Chris

Sanger Jet
04-13-2005, 11:08 AM
To the best of my knowledge, the AT snoot isn't compatible with Berk/Dom/Legend diverters/nozzles. It has a ball instead of a socket like the snoot that HTP sells.
Chris
HTP makes a far better product.......in both looks and design.

Duane HTP
04-13-2005, 05:39 PM
Reading something Chet writes always reminds me of an old proverb.
"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing his own opinions" Proverbs 18:2.
Flat Broke is right. The ATJ uses it's own diverter or nozzle and works well with a little modification. The Snoot does the same thing, only you can use your Place Diverter, Dominator, Aggressor or Berkeley nozzle with it. I now have the first cast Snoots in hand. I'm pleased with the way they turned out so far. The machine shop is now in the process of writing the CNC program to start machining them soon.

jdf
04-13-2005, 06:36 PM
you the man duane keep up the great work

ChetCapoli
04-13-2005, 07:09 PM
PLACECRAFT 20, . This winter Garry Snow ( SDB-069 ) did some work on by boat. One of the things he did was to straighten and true-up the bottom running surface. He told me he was very supprised that the droop did not give my boat any performance gains. Best of luck to you. TJ
You mean the promoter didn't fix the bottom of your boat BEFORE having you spend all that money with him??? WOW is all i can say. That is like the number one thing to do before anything else..... talk about throwing your good money on top of bad.... He saw you coming boy! :D
very surprised eh??? Guess he'll be on the snoot bandwagon before long:rolleyes:...... better get em before the promoter runs out! Going, going gone as they say! LMAO!! Funny how american turbine has had this out for years and you hardly see them but yet the droops are all around. Again i say....why is that???? Does someone besides the support group know???
CHET

ChetCapoli
04-13-2005, 07:17 PM
Chet posted: "Call mpd...since your hardware came from there..."
Say what? Say it isn't so.
jer
Yeap i said it allright! Good advice no?? This promo..i mean board is all about good advice and I'd be willing to bet he wouldn't go the snoot route! At least you dont see any of his boats with snoots on them or do ya?? Again why is that??? Funny how a couple years changes things eh?? :D Give us an "M', give us a "P", give us a "D"...what that spell!!! MPD!!! LMAO!!
CHET

squirt
04-13-2005, 08:28 PM
Funny how a couple years changes things eh?? :D Give us an "M', give us a "P", give us a "D"...what that spell!!! MPD!!! LMAO!!
CHET
Here let me "glaze" that doughnut for you there Chet :squiggle:

TRG
04-13-2005, 09:34 PM
Reading something Chet writes always reminds me of an old proverb.
"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing his own opinions" Proverbs 18:2.
Flat Broke is right. The ATJ uses it's own diverter or nozzle and works well with a little modification. The Snoot does the same thing, only you can use your Place Diverter, Dominator, Aggressor or Berkeley nozzle with it. I now have the first cast Snoots in hand. I'm pleased with the way they turned out so far. The machine shop is now in the process of writing the CNC program to start machining them soon.
what brand product is this duane?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662new_pump_pics_002-med.jpg

Duane HTP
04-14-2005, 05:41 AM
Again:
"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing his own opinions"
That is an American Turbine Extension, Todd
You mean the promoter didn't fix the bottom of your boat BEFORE having you spend all that money with him??? WOW is all i can say. That is like the number one thing to do before anything else..... talk about throwing your good money on top of bad....
I did not "fix" the bottom of the boat. The net gain from the bottom work was 0 mhp gain. So I guess I didn't throw his good money on top of bad after all, Did I Chet?
Does someone besides the support group know???
They SURE do! Call Ron at ATJ and ask him what made his boat run the fasest.
One More Time; Chet.
"A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing his own opinions"
Chet, I have an idea! Why don't you send me your address, and I can send one of the new Snoots for you to evaluate for all of us? That would be interesting. You could say anything you wanted about it, and for the First time, you might have some first hand knowledge of what you are talking about.

Jet Hydro
04-14-2005, 06:33 AM
Hey Chet please tell me why when I ran the snoot I saw more MPH over the droop? Then when I cut the bottom off last year I started back out with the droop switching to the snoot and once again saw more MPH and a big change in ET. Chet the proof was at the races where the clocks are. No spoffing the clocks chet, they don't lie. :hammerhea

Taylorman
04-14-2005, 06:45 AM
Chet, I have an idea! Why don't you send me your address, and I can send one of the new Snoots for you to evaluate for all of us? That would be interesting. You could say anything you wanted about it, and for the First time, you might have some first hand knowledge of what you are talking about.
WOW, what an offer. If you turn that offer down then your true colors will be shown. Step up dude and see what you gain so you can be a "Cheerleader" like us. :D :D :D Give me an H, give me a T, give me P.

flat broke
04-14-2005, 09:56 AM
...LMAO!! Funny how american turbine has had this out for years and you hardly see them but yet the droops are all around. Again i say....why is that???? Does someone besides the support group know???
CHET
I'll put in cheap skate terms so you can easily understand. The American Turbine Snoot requires that you use their nozzle or diverter. Since most folks looking for speed already have a diverter, it's hard to justify dumping that product to buy a new American Turbine diverter (which coincidently is notorious for sand locking and being a less desireable piece than a Place unit) just so you can try the American Turbine snoot. Would you try one if it meant you had to spend an extra $600 for a new American Turbine diverter to try their snoot? Probably not.
There's no bandwagon, cheerleaders, or groupies here. Just a pissed off little man who hasn't figgured out how to construct a credible argument after all these years. You suck, you don't own a jetboat, so shut your piehole, pack your bags and take a hike instead of taking cheap shots at reputable members of our community.
Chris

Taylorman
04-14-2005, 10:18 AM
(which coincidently is notorious for sand locking and being a less desireable piece than a Place unit)
Hey Chris, what is sand locking? Im about to buy an AT diverter so im curious about the problems and what makes it less desireable?

jdf
04-14-2005, 01:26 PM
dear chet the dip shit
please do not talk bad about garry snow or duane ,,, they do some of the best work i have seen and have in the biz along time !!!!!!! so go hide behind the couch

TexasJet
04-14-2005, 06:21 PM
The guy that Chet loves to bash just got up from the dinner table at 7:15 PM, phone in hand, to spend a half hour talking me thru installing an impeller and shims. It wasn't his problem but he took the time to help me. He didn't make any money, he didn't sell any parts. It wasn't even his problem. He was just helping out a friend and former customer. Duane, sorry for the interruption in your dinner. I owe you one big guy. If thats cheerleading, so be it. TJ

Floored
04-14-2005, 07:13 PM
sand lock, that uncomfortable feeling when diverter is stuck and fwd rev is also stuck from a shallow area packing sand in every crevice after the bowl :jawdrop:later noticed during docking manuvers in an emergency

Taylorman
04-15-2005, 05:55 AM
The guy that Chet loves to bash just got up from the dinner table at 7:15 PM, phone in hand, to spend a half hour talking me thru installing an impeller and shims. It wasn't his problem but he took the time to help me. He didn't make any money, he didn't sell any parts. It wasn't even his problem. He was just helping out a friend and former customer. Duane, sorry for the interruption in your dinner. I owe you one big guy. If thats cheerleading, so be it. TJ
What impeller did you change to?

ChetCapoli
04-15-2005, 02:48 PM
I'll put in cheap skate terms so you can easily understand. Would you try one if it meant you had to spend an extra $600 for a new American Turbine diverter to try their snoot? Probably not.
Flapper, Fapper, Flapper.....ah what am i gonna do with you eh? Cheapskate terms you KNOW i like but there is nothing cheap about a snoot or anything related to it without ALOT of PROVEN results to take the plunge and buy one.(they are cheaper than OUTDRIVE parts i must say that for sure!)
If you had one to try it's one thing but going mostly on HYPE and very little results and feedback...well you know the deal....maybe thats why your broke? LMAO!! Seems there arent too many A/T deals around either. Now dont you think if they really worked better than a droop they would be all over by now?? What do you see on 95% of the raceboats eh?? Tell me tell me! Wouldn't most "guru's" have them as standard over a droop if they really worked aside from don king i mean "guru"??? You know the one who makes it??? :rolleyes: Why would one "guru" take it off and try a droop after knowing ALOT of money was spent less than a year earlier on that same boat to make it as fast as possible(with a hooked bottom of course...WOW)?? Just for kicks??? I think not. What do you think the logic was there???? Stop your FLAPPEN and tell me! I'm telling it like it is, bottom line!
There's no bandwagon, cheerleaders, or groupies here. Just a pissed off little man who hasn't figgured out how to construct a credible argument after all these years.
Chris
YOU SURE ABOUT THAT??? I beg to differ and no i'm not pissed off.....i just wonder where the common sense is to spend money on something when there is only one guy on the loudspeaker about it and thats the ONE WHO MAKES IT! Why doesn't the donut club have them on their boats eh?? If there is one show me! Why do you NEVER SEE THEM except around don king USA??? The original post here was a 20' placecraft and him basically wanting to know which way to go....he already has a shoe setup and a diverter so why not try a droop FIRST?? Why wasnt that suggested eh?? It's the easiest to find somewhere to try(of course the CHEAPEST ROUTE to start too) and i'd be willing to bet if he worked his shoe setup he would find the most benefit from it than working with a snoot. I'm sure he'll never run 100 so he needs to lift that boat and if he has hook FIX IT FIRST! Besides he is in gary snow country it seems....why would someone recommend anyone but him anyways?? Do i hear "snoot" bandwagonitis??? Same $#@T different thread! Sure appears that way to me but then again what do i know right?? Towel racks werent supposed to run 87mph! I dont see you running that bud so go find me my CREDIBLE argument k??
Again i say, if this is not a CREDIBLE argument then i dont know what is! :P
CHET

Ken F
04-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Again i say, if this is not a CREDIBLE argument then i dont know what is! :P
CHET
Ken F

Duane HTP
04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
Chet,
Why don't you rewrite your last post and try to make some sense with it?
Are you up to the Snoot challenge, or just flappin, flappin again? HE HE!

Taylorman
04-15-2005, 07:07 PM
Chet,
Are you up to the Snoot challenge, or just flappin, flappin again? HE HE!
I think he is just flappin. Come on Chet, take the challenge you little bitch so we can see how fast that snoot makes your towel racks go.

texas-19
04-15-2005, 09:39 PM
I don't think he has a jet boat,he's just trying to stir the pot.

Duane HTP
04-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I know. We're just havi'n fun here. He doesn't understand how one works either. He's just flappin his lip against his eybrows for something to do.

Jet Hydro
04-17-2005, 06:39 AM
Chet last year "YOU" said that you would come to the SDBA season opener down in Waco TX to see it for yourself. Well thats in two weeks and I`ll have the droop and the snoot with me just for you. Be there for Friday T&T and we`ll just do your little test on the clocks.

ChetCapoli
04-18-2005, 07:39 AM
Yeah, I know. We're just havi'n fun here. He doesn't understand how one works either. He's just flappin his lip against his eybrows for something to do.
THE SNOOT/DROOP CHALLENGE
Nope me no how snoot worky....BUT i am up for the challenge! Lets see here....hmmm.....i think ol CS19's boat is a good test bed for this. Send it to his address. He's mister test and tune, middle of the road, dne motor do-it-yourselfer. I'm sure he loved to test one. Perfect boat... it's a tunnel and it's a sure bet since YOU have PROVEN results on all your tunnel boats. After he amazes all the westcoasters with this new product you'll have your hands full with orders...that is if your not sold out?? :D
Then you can thank ME! LMAO!!! Whadiathink? Flap, flap,flap.
CHET

Cs19
04-18-2005, 07:56 AM
Send it, Ill run it back to back with my AMT droop with data aq. at the track. If it works well or looks like it has potential, Ill buy one.
Not trying to get involved or anything Duane, just throwing it out there if you are interested in something like that. Cheted thanks for dragging me into your shit again.
CS

Squirtin Thunder
04-18-2005, 08:43 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/662new_pump_pics_002-med.jpg
That is an American Turbine Extension,
I would like to know more about this Extension anybody !!!!

Taylorman
04-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Nope me no how snoot worky....BUT i am up for the challenge! Lets see here....hmmm.....i think ol CS19's boat is a good test bed for this. Send it to his address. He's mister test and tune, middle of the road, dne motor do-it-yourselfer. I'm sure he loved to test one. Perfect boat... it's a tunnel and it's a sure bet since YOU have PROVEN results on all your tunnel boats. After he amazes all the westcoasters with this new product you'll have your hands full with orders...that is if your not sold out?? :D
Then you can thank ME! LMAO!!! Whadiathink? Flap, flap,flap.
CHET
Chet Chet Chet, your such a girl. I think Duane offer to send a snoot to YOU to test. Oh, i forgot, you don't have a boat, thats why you have to bring CS19 into your mess.

Unchained
04-18-2005, 01:58 PM
I've been running the AT straight snoot and diverter for a few years now.
I bought it slightly used from Duane.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523unchained1-med.jpg
I had always used Place diverters before and thought they were good however they always leaked a lot of water around the steering knuckle.
Replacing the O ring has only been a temporary repair.
The AT unit is a better design in my opinion.
If you look at the two side by side you can see that the AT has the ball on the end of the snoot and receiver on the diverter.
All the other brands have the receiver on the snoot and the ball on the diverter.
The AT works better with the direction of the water flow.
It's the only unit I've used that would actually hold water. The others always leaked out.
I think there are a lot less of these around because they cost more.
I don't know about sand locking, I've never had that problem.
I guess it you have one that leaks a lot of water it would keep itself flushed out and never want to lock up.

ChetCapoli
04-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Chet Chet Chet, your such a girl. I think Duane offer to send a snoot to YOU to test. Oh, i forgot, you don't have a boat, thats why you have to bring CS19 into your mess.
Lookit numnuts, girl or whatever, YOU know i sold my boat so what the hell would i test it on?? My mercruiser??? Are you gonna step in here and indicate a "bluff" on the promotors part??? Well, i'm gonna call his bluff if its not the real deal ok? You know i love drama and picking on people if you want to call it that. You want to know if that snoot works...i mean REALLY WORKS dont ya?? Well then.... i think the BEST way is to have a "unbiased" racer use it and see now dont you?? No mess pal, just the facts with no "hype" or "promo" BS!! If it does, it will be all over california like wild fire and all the other "gurus" will be wondering just what the heck happened. Again, i'll wait to get thanks when the time comes. "hi tech" fan club T shirt maybe??? LMAO!
Come up with something other than "mess", "girl" or some stupid S$%T you want to say or stay out of the thread. If there were more guys like me out there, there would be less BS, more facts and MORE bang for your buck potential rather than "follow the leader, spend your money here" PROMOTIONAL, HYPE BS from don king USA!!!. CS19 is the lucky man...let the test begin i say! Bottom line, end of story.
CHET

flat broke
04-18-2005, 03:54 PM
If you're gonna test the product, at least test it in a real world application. The problem with using a lightweight 19' Daytona to test a snoot with is that the Daytona already lifts the nose well enough at speed. Most guys would use a short droop in that application because they need a little lift at the transom. Extending the thrust line out further will just give more leverage to lift the front of the boat which could actually be dangerous in a boat like Chris'
If a test like this was offered, I'd say try it on something like the boat that was pictured at the begining of the thread. As we have all agreed, what works on one type of hull won't always hold true for another and that needs to be considered when people slam and praise products. I don't doubt the gains that any of the Snoot users have seen. But their boats are their boats and a different boat/setup may react differently.
Come mid-summer I'd be happy to do a little droop/snoot testing on a 20' cruiser. Dyno documented HP, so no guesswork there, known hull weight, and full specifics on everything in my pump. But just because xyz combination works or doesn't on my boat come testing time, it doesn't mean that the combination will be the magic recipe for all other 20' boats.
We can talk about pepsi challenges for snoots vs droops all we want but in the end, it boils down to whether or not each individual boat and its complementing hardware works better with a snoot or a droop. Just cause I like pepsi doesn't mean that everyone should throw away their coke and start buying pepsi regardless of what works for me.
Chris

Cs19
04-18-2005, 07:29 PM
I dont care what boat you guys test with,or if you test at all, Im not losing sleep over it. Just get ahold of a data system with a speed pick-up so you can see what it did during an entire run, not just top speed, some of us want acceleration improvements or e.t. rather than more top end.
Say a snoot did give you more leverage, Im sure the added leverage wont be a problem in a daytona, it would only give you more control over the attitude,the key is getting the nozzle angle right.
i had a problem last summer with the attitude of my boat, it didnt respond to nozzle angle changes, added leverage probably would have helped.
CS

Ken F
04-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Prezactly Chris! Duane has been very honest in telling people that it won't work on all boats, and that certain boats will see more dramatic gains than others. there is some set-up work oftentimes in order to see gains. I know he worked with ?Squirtcha? over the phone pretty extensivly helping with his set-up.
I really don't understand all this BS. Duane came up with something that works. Period. More power to him, and by god I hope he makes a TON of money off of it. He's sure spent many years in the learning curve, and it's about time for it to start paying off for him. I know for a fact that Duane does this because he loves it, not for the money. He runs close to the bone just like all of us, but I also know he lives, eats, sleeps and breathes jetboats.
He's got 6 new ideas in his head all the time...and spends much of his spare time testing ideas, and trying to impliment them. We all benefit from them, and from Duanes ingenuity and tenacity.
They have been proven to work.
1) R&D Express-took a national championship with one in the 8-sec. class
(and gained speed over the droop and was done with data-acq.)
2) My Omega Suncatcher gained mph over a droop
3) Squirtcha's boat gained mph
4) Duane's boat gained mph
5) Brains eliminator gained
6) Jeff from Texas' boat gained
and those are just the ones I know of. I'd bet the list is easily 3 times that long.
That's the end of my rant. I promised myself that I wasn't even going to respond to piece of whale shit on the bottom of the ocean again.

flat broke
04-18-2005, 08:30 PM
I dont care what boat you guys test with,or if you test at all, Im not losing sleep over it. Just get ahold of a data system with a speed pick-up so you can see what it did during an entire run, not just top speed, some of us want acceleration improvements or e.t. rather than more top end.
Say a snoot did give you more leverage, Im sure the added leverage wont be a problem in a daytona, it would only give you more control over the attitude,the key is getting the nozzle angle right.
i had a problem last summer with the attitude of my boat, it didnt respond to nozzle angle changes, added leverage probably would have helped.
CS
Chris,
Didn't mean to overstep my bounds, and certainly wasn't trying to snake anything from ya. I was just trying to illustrate that different boats do different things. I agree that a boat setup with a DAU would be ideal for such a test. I still say that if HBM was as "dedicated" to the journalistic pursuit of peformance testing and reviews as they'd like some to believe, they'd have a portable DAU setup that could be moved from boat to boat with the owner of the test boat just paying for the installation of the senders. Knowing how tight you run your ship, I can definitely agree that any results we saw from your camp, good bad or otherwise would be reliable and backed with good data.
Either way, when my boat hits the water later this summer, I'll be trying all kinds of goodies, and whichever ones yield the best blend of speed, control, and safety will be what I keep. You'll probably see the rest for sale on ebay :)
Chris

Cs19
04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
FB, no sweat, you didnt overstep your bounds at all. Ive got enough on my plate as it is, having time for a snoot test isnt really something Im gonna pursue unless duane was interested, which I doubt he is, being spring time and all, sure hes busy.
I seriously doubt any of this plays out with chet being involved .
CS

Jet Hydro
04-18-2005, 09:37 PM
7) Jet Hydro`s boat gained
8) Mike Stucky`s ME gained
9)Mike Stucky`s PE gained
Not only did they gain MPH but also ET and handling improvements.

PLACECRAFT20
04-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I new this would start some stuff up. I will try them also but, I was hoping to come up with some ideas without wasting Duanes time. The reason is, I would like to buy a used one incase it did not work. I have a truck that went down about the time I started this thread that is eating my money but, when it hits the street again I will be in the market for boat parts and let everyone know my results.
Thanks again for all the replys Placecraft20

Duane HTP
04-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Placecraft 20, Pm me , we'll do some talking about some testing. Duane HTP

ChetCapoli
04-19-2005, 08:04 PM
If you're gonna test the product, at least test it in a real world application. The problem with using a lightweight 19' Daytona to test a snoot with is that the Daytona already lifts the nose well enough at speed. Most guys would use a short droop in that application because they need a little lift at the transom. Extending the thrust line out further will just give more leverage to lift the front of the boat which could actually be dangerous in a boat like Chris'
Come on now flapper..do you really think that is the concept behind a snoot or droop?? Your kidding right? What planet are you from you say??The concept so is told is to not bend the water twice thus applying more thrust forward resulting in better everything(mph+ET) right??. The droop lifts the ass and nose more than a snoot does by design wouldn't you say? His boat is a perfect test bad and he is in the best area to "promote" this profound concept. If it TRULY works everyone with a daytona and anything close racer or laker will want one bottom line. Wait a minute, the CHAMPION R and D express had one so it is guarenteed to work...same boat right?? CS19 is gonna show california the real deal i tell ya, hopefully the promotor is true to his word like everyone says he is. "hype baby, HYPE!" LMAO!!
If a test like this was offered, I'd say try it on something like the boat that was pictured at the begining of the thread.
With all the snoot sales going around i'm sure there are quite a few already.......just where they are is anyones guess? :confused:
Come mid-summer I'd be happy to do a little droop/snoot testing on a 20' cruiser.
I"m sure you would...but I was offered it and not you(i'm "special" must be :D)and CS19 is my man so we'll see if the challenge stands right here in cyberland. :D
We can talk about pepsi challenges for snoots vs droops all we want but in the end, it boils down to whether or not each individual boat and its complementing hardware works better with a snoot or a droop.
Chris
That is a great assesment there flapper....too bad there is always a used droop around that someone has to try but those snoots are far and few between for some reason....again i say...why is that??
CHET...as the towel racks turn

ChetCapoli
04-19-2005, 08:24 PM
7) Jet Hydro`s boat gained
8) Mike Stucky`s ME gained
9)Mike Stucky`s PE gained
Not only did they gain MPH but also ET and handling improvements.
WELL LOOKY HERE!!!!!!!!............Man slowy...thats ONE hydro,FOUR eliminators?,THREE heavy V bottoms and ONE stealth with data acq:jawdrop:.... just what are those CA boys thinking???? :confused: CS19 bud.....better get on this quick!!!!!!!!!!:D

Jet Hydro
04-19-2005, 08:51 PM
No Chet, you forgot a few hull`s there buddy,
One is a big ass "Sunkist Tunnel" and one is a 16ft Texas Tunnel with 1000 some HP. I also think Mike has one on his lake boat that has the same bottom as a Taylor SJ and that boat runs well in to the 100+ mph range. Not sure on the last one but I think he does.
I will try mine out on my Taylor SJ Lake Boat this summer so there might be another one to ad to the list. :D
Just wanted to set you straight there Chet :hammer2:

Duane HTP
04-20-2005, 05:14 AM
snoots are far and few between for some reason....again i say...why is that??
Mostly because the Droop has been on the market for over twenty years and the Snoot has only been on the market for two years, but they are gaining numbers fast! Also because the jet boat industry is very slow to accept a new concept. You're a perfect example. You're a perfect example of some other things I can't say here on the board too!

TexasJet
04-20-2005, 09:05 AM
"You're a perfect example of some other things I can't say here on the board too!"
LMAO, Duane, you got that right! :D

ChetCapoli
04-23-2005, 06:21 AM
Mostly because the Droop has been on the market for over twenty years and the Snoot has only been on the market for two years, but they are gaining numbers fast! Also because the jet boat industry is very slow to accept a new concept. You're a perfect example.
Geez...i thought i'd be missed already! i think this is a perfect example on how they must teach at the don king school of promotion..... :D Gaining number fast!!!! LMAO!!! On your shelf maybe? I dont see any other "gurus" ranting and raving about them....again and again....WHY IS THAT? This is a "new" concept?? From what i gathered American turbine has had this out for at least 5 years and it never caught on. Just didnt work maybe??? HMMMMM..that is the question to be answered. Here is the chance to put YOUR "concept" on the "love it or shove it" stage. Time to show those CA boys who's the man! Just what are they thinking? :sleeping:
Now you need the address on where to send this snoot. Got a pen handy? :D A deals a deal now....we all know your a man of your word! CS19 are you ready?
CHET

Duane HTP
04-23-2005, 08:43 AM
.we all know your a man of your word!
A+
Right again Chet. You shall soon see!

Cs19
04-23-2005, 04:13 PM
Cheted, take it easy. Duane sent me 2 snoots to try. Be patient.
CS

Taylorman
04-23-2005, 07:11 PM
Cheted, take it easy. Duane sent me 2 snoots to try. Be patient.
CS
CS,
Whats baseline are you using to compare the snoot to. Are you going of top speed, et or other things.

Cs19
04-23-2005, 09:45 PM
Taylorman, Like I said earlier,Ill do some back to back tests with the SNOOT and my droop.
Ill look at any numbers I get Taylorman, but for the most part Ill be looking at my data aqusition numbers. I have a speed sensor, so I can look at what the boat did at ANY point of a run, I can also overlay two different runs and see what it did differently and where it has improved or fallen off..If its possible Ill run it at the races May 21st, but Duane may need them back before then, we'll see.The first test session will be at the river.
I know some are only interested in getting more top end, Im really not looking for that, I want e.t. cause thats what wins races around here.
CS

Taylorman
05-08-2005, 06:43 PM
CS19, have you done any testing yet?

DEL51
05-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Taylorman, Like I said earlier,Ill do some back to back tests with the SNOOT and my droop.
Ill look at any numbers I get Taylorman, but for the most part Ill be looking at my data aqusition numbers. I have a speed sensor, so I can look at what the boat did at ANY point of a run, I can also overlay two different runs and see what it did differently and where it has improved or fallen off..If its possible Ill run it at the races May 21st, but Duane may need them back before then, we'll see.The first test session will be at the river.
I know some are only interested in getting more top end, Im really not looking for that, I want e.t. cause thats what wins races around here.
CS
Chris, does the data system use a gps or some type of water pickup? I know you are after E.T., some of us race outboards on the lakes that only want to start racing after they hit 60 mph.Every little bit counts.For the Record, Chet is challenging Duane on the perfomance of his product.He could have been a little more easy going, but that is chet.I do not always agree, but he is who he is.Take it as it is.He is Not a bad guy. That said,Duane and his employees are stand up! Hi-Tech Marine will not sell you something just to move products. I bought an American Turbine straight snoot based on Duane's input. I wanted the "snoot" he makes, but since I also needed a diverter he steered me in that direction. I also wanted a prima-jet and he said to wait and see how things work out first.Thanks,Chris(DEL51)