PDA

View Full Version : Cat Vs. Vee

payloan
04-07-2005, 02:06 PM
Allright I am sure there has been lots of dicussions on this but I need to know a few things. My Father In Law Just ordered his Carrera 257 Deck, and well.....for some reason I feel that it's necessary for me to now move into a bigger boat from my 23'. So lets hear it, the pro's and cons on:
1.) price
2.) insurance
3.) comfort
4.) roominess
5.) ride
6.) going through the chop
7.) which ones to stay away from
8.) pulling (tubes etc.)
keep in mind that I want go at least to 26' if the price is right I'll consider a 25'
also if I do it I will be going brand new so please NO SPAM
keap in mind I mainly boat in Parker and if I venture out into something new it will be the zoo of course.

mbrown2
04-07-2005, 02:17 PM
1.) price - Cat will normally be 5-10% more expensive power being the same
2.) insurance - Cat will be approximately 400% more then the V if the cat has power over 500hp and does over 70-75...so $1000 for V, $4000+ for Cat
3.) Comfort - Its about the same, same bench, same open bow, same captain and driver seats..
4.) Roominess - V has a cabin, most 26 Cat cabins are a joke...Open Bow Cat compares with Open Bow V, but cabin is where the V takes it...All other room is pretty much the same
5.) Ride - Hands Down the 26 Cat will ride 100% better than a 26 V on Parker
6). Going through Chop - Depends how big...2-3, the Cat will still ride better than a 26V, going bigger and the V starts to come into it's own depending ont the V.
7) Which to stay away from - That is another thread...- Which would I look at is a better question - IMO - 26 Cat - DCB, Eliminator, Howard, Lavey....26V - Eliminator, Howard (25), Lavey, Shockwave (25)
8) Pulling - V is a little better an slow speed planing then a 26 cat for towing duties...
Allright I am sure there has been lots of dicussions on this but I need to know a few things. My Father In Law Just ordered his Carrera 257 Deck, and well.....for some reason I feel that it's necessary for me to now move into a bigger boat from my 23'. So lets hear it, the pro's and cons on:
1.) price
2.) insurance
3.) comfort
4.) roominess
5.) ride
8.) pulling (tubes etc.)
keep in mind that I want go at least to 26' if the price is right I'll consider a 25'
keap in mind I mainly boat in Parker and if I venture out into something new it will be the zoo of course.

Havasu Cig
04-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Price - About the same as a v with the same power / drive package.
Insurance - A lot more for a cat.
Comfort - Depends on what you mean by comfort. Should be similar to a V in the same size range. You will get a bigger cabin in a V in the same size range, but for the river who cares IMO.
Roominess - See above. You can do an open bow in a cat or V, although would never cut a whole in the deck of a cat.
Ride - At the river the cat will ride much better. If we were talking about big V's in big water I would have a different opinion.
Chop - Same as above.
Which ones to stay away from - I will let others respond to that. I really have not had a brand of cat that I would not recommend. If you go with a brand with a good reputation (Eliminator, Howard ect...) you will be ok.
Pulling - Maybe a little easier in a small V, but you can through the tab down on a cat and it will work fine.

Havasu Cig
04-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Wow MB, you must have posted while I was typing, but your post is almost identical. :cool:

mbrown2
04-07-2005, 02:21 PM
Wow MB, you must have posted while I was typing, but your post is almost identical. :cool:
I thought the same....great minds think alike....go ahead and pat yourself on the back...I just did... :idea: ;)

Dribble
04-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Hey I have something for sale, check it out
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/3656729.jpg

HOOTER SLED-
04-07-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm kinda drawn to the Dana 27 for a vee. :)

Mrs. 4-B
04-07-2005, 02:48 PM
[QUOTE=payloan]My Father In Law Just ordered his Carrera 257 Deck/QUOTE]
We have the 257 Carrera Deck and are very happy with it. It rides great and with the fold away tongue we are able to park it in the 29' garage! Every other good size deck missed it by that much! :sqeyes:

payloan
04-07-2005, 03:02 PM
I'm kinda drawn to the Dana 27 for a vee. :)
uh oh give me your take on the Dana 27. I have the 23' right now but for some reason the back end of his 27 just doesnt look tall enough for me something about it. But I am intersted on your take let me know.

payloan
04-07-2005, 03:04 PM
[QUOTE=payloan]My Father In Law Just ordered his Carrera 257 Deck/QUOTE]
We have the 257 Carrera Deck and are very happy with it. It rides great and with the fold away tongue we are able to park it in the 29' garage! Every other good size deck missed it by that much! :sqeyes:
Could not help but notice the BREA in your profile. Who are you? Inquiring minds want to know.

mbrown2
04-07-2005, 03:04 PM
One thing I will add....parking a cat in a narrow slip with the Parker Current, will be more difficult....not absolutely impossible, but a 26 V is a breeze to put in a narrow slip which is perpindicular to the current....not such much with a CAT.

Mandelon
04-07-2005, 03:19 PM
What about which one is more likely to hook a sponson and flip people out of the boat resulting in serious injuries..... :messedup:

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-07-2005, 03:24 PM
NOTHING LIKE A PARTY IN A VEE
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1616amdr_aa.jpg

mbrown2
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
What about which one is more likely to hook a sponson and flip people out of the boat resulting in serious injuries..... :messedup:
I think that has more to do with the nut behind the wheel then the boat on the other side of the wheel.. ;)
Step Bottom Vees and Cats both have their peculiar behaviors :cool:

mirvin
04-07-2005, 03:26 PM
Ohhhhh....that's cold :supp: :D
mirvin

payloan
04-07-2005, 03:27 PM
Come on keep em coming I want to know all.
Also I didnot realize that those cabins came in hand. I thoght that was all for looks.

mbrown2
04-07-2005, 03:29 PM
Looks a like a nice family hour....nothing like partying on top of the sponsons of a cat...
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/249401-med.JPG

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-07-2005, 03:30 PM
I think that has more to do with the nut kilrtoy behind the wheel then the boat on the other side of the wheel.. ;)
Step Bottom Vees and Cats both have their peculiar behaviors :cool:
DAM :jawdrop:

mbrown2
04-07-2005, 03:30 PM
DAM :jawdrop:LMAO... :D

BADBLOWN572
04-07-2005, 03:46 PM
It all comes down to personal preference. I don't think that I would ever own another V bottom unless it had a pair of #6's hanging off of the back and is in excess of 35' long. That is just me. Once you have driven and ridden in a cat, it is all over. I won't go back and a lot of people that I know won't either. Both Mbrown and HavasuCig have given excellent responses on the pros and cons of the cat versus the V. For Parker, where I spend 90% of my time, is definitely a benefit for a cat. A good 25-26' cat can run through anything that is out there (even on holiday weekends when it gets rough) without a problem. Some people will never own a cat and some people will never own a V. I am one that won't own a V again. Personal preference.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-07-2005, 03:47 PM
Looks a like a nice family hour....nothing like partying on top of the sponsons of a cat...
the party on the deck can fit in my cabin also ;)

No Regrets
04-07-2005, 03:52 PM
True that.

HOOTER SLED-
04-07-2005, 04:04 PM
uh oh give me your take on the Dana 27. I have the 23' right now but for some reason the back end of his 27 just doesnt look tall enough for me something about it. But I am intersted on your take let me know.
I have yet to take a ride in the Dana 27. To be honest, my experience in riding in different hulls is limited. Straight up. There are many peeps on here that can help you more in that dept. From what I've heard, the narrowness of the Dana makes for a good ride in big chop. We all will have our own personal preferences when it comes to style and design. That's just where you start. You gotta be happy with the looks of the boat to begin with. Narrow down your options and your needs(based on your type of boating). For me, I've narrowed it down to a few different boats. One of the MAIN determining factors in my decision when I'm ready will be the ride of course. As far as Dana is concerned, a major appeal to me is that they come loaded with the goodies, STANDARD. No BS mumbo jumbo with base pricing and price increase for added options etc... It helps when you have a friend that works for these companies as well. Then you at least you can trust an opinion and know it's not just a sales pitch. Ultimately, you'll know when you find the right boat. Just take your time. Don't buy on impulse. If you want more inside info and are interested in the Dana, PM atomickitn. He is the rigger for Dana and a personal friend. There are alot of great boats out there. It's hard to decide on just one. :) Good luck man.

FRENCHIE
04-07-2005, 04:22 PM
1.) price
2.) insurance
3.) comfort
4.) roominess
5.) ride
8.) pulling (tubes etc.)
I WILL BE PUTTING MY 25' TREMOR UP FOR SALE IN A FEW DAYS HERE!! Its not even a year old yet, nothing but good to say about it...in chop, in flat water etc etc.....i am upgrading to larger boat ...again deep v love the way tehy handle the water! I will be puttin it in the boat trader in a week and on hot spots west in a few days! p..m . me for more info if your interested...and i would be more than happy to take you out for a demo!!! :cool:

FRENCHIE
04-07-2005, 04:24 PM
oops sorry didnt see the no spam and your buying new!!! :frown: :cool:

Jrocket
04-07-2005, 04:33 PM
What about the great chine walk you get from the V,and dont forget the rough ride too.

Jrocket
04-07-2005, 04:36 PM
It all comes down to personal preference. I don't think that I would ever own another V bottom unless it had a pair of #6's hanging off of the back and is in excess of 35' long. That is just me. Once you have driven and ridden in a cat, it is all over. I won't go back and a lot of people that I know won't either. Both Mbrown and HavasuCig have given excellent responses on the pros and cons of the cat versus the V. For Parker, where I spend 90% of my time, is definitely a benefit for a cat. A good 25-26' cat can run through anything that is out there (even on holiday weekends when it gets rough) without a problem. Some people will never own a cat and some people will never own a V. I am one that won't own a V again. Personal preference.
I agree.
Schiada exempt.

Mandelon
04-07-2005, 05:20 PM
What about the great chine walk you get from the V,and dont forget the rough ride too.
You are right. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks..

Havasu_Dreamin
04-07-2005, 07:02 PM
Just what I personally would want, a bunch of drunk idiots I don't know leaning on my boat and setting their beer cans/bottles all over it. :rolleyes: Just not for my personal tastes, but to each their own.

BADBLOWN572
04-07-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree.
Schiada exempt.
I stand corrected. ;) I would definitely own a Schiada or any other boat in that league (Halet, Rush, Rayson). All with a twin turbo motor and V drive of course. :D

Bling Bling
04-07-2005, 07:37 PM
Ask yourself a few questions.
First, how fast do ya want to boat.
Second, do you boat strickly on lakes.
Third, it's a proven fact that the #1 choice of boats for gay men is a V-bottom. :D :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-08-2005, 01:31 AM
Ask yourself a few questions.
First, how fast do ya want to boat.
Second, do you boat strickly on lakes.
Third, it's a proven fact that the #1 choice of boats for gay men of D-Row is Cats. :D :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/1/8177P1010050-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/8177P1010054-med.JPG
well your on your own with that

Mrs. 4-B
04-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Could not help but notice the BREA in your profile. Who are you? Inquiring minds want to know.
I don't owe you money do I? :confused: :hammer2:

ECeptor
04-09-2005, 02:55 PM
Is anyone running 24-27" cats on LOTO weekends? I've heard it has gotten damn rough with anything less than 30' Vees...
Just curious how the smaller cats handle nasty water like LOTO on a Saturday afternoon.

hotlavey
04-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Just what I personally would want, a bunch of drunk idiots I don't know leaning on my boat and setting their beer cans/bottles all over it. :rolleyes: Just not for my personal tastes, but to each their own.
I'm with you on that.