PDA

View Full Version : stupid question

bruddah
04-07-2005, 10:29 PM
so im fairly new to jet boats and i know there is a small area between in gear and neutral. but it seems liek my boat always seems to be in gear when i start it even tho it is in the middle position. it is a 21' hawaiian 454 with berkeley jet. i know its not very much info and i was just wondering if this is normal or if its more of a simple fix. any imput is much appreciated. thanks -lance

Scape Goat
04-07-2005, 10:48 PM
you have to play with it to find the nuetral spot, on a jet it is mostly foward and reverse. there is no nuetral unless you shut it off

LVjetboy
04-07-2005, 11:51 PM
No gears either so don't talk gears. That's clunky old science as in i/o. Jets are WAY better for dock maneuvers trust me, I have both.
It's a jet deflector that directs water forward, backward or some balanced combo of the two. Like a thrust reverser on a jet engine only variable. The position of your shifter is not as important as how that position affects the jet deflector. Depends on rigging. Find the shifter's neutral and be happy.
If instead you'd only be happy with neutral and a shifter straight up there's a simple solution...adjust the linkages.
With a jet deflector (no gears) you can turn you jet with ease at the dock. No clunking gears into forward or reverse or delayed reaction or concern with rpm. You can spin your jet on a dime, impress onlookers unlike clunky gear drives. And yes you can easily achieve neutral once you get used to the shifter.
Learn jets and enjoy.
jer

bruddah
04-08-2005, 06:19 AM
thank you. sorry for using the term "gears" i konw there is none just bad termonology. so if i start in a little bit of the reverse or forwars it is not a big deal?

1HOTGMCJET
04-08-2005, 06:36 AM
thank you. sorry for using the term "gears" i konw there is none just bad termonology. so if i start in a little bit of the reverse or forwars it is not a big deal?
All he's really saying is that the power is always being transferred (and water movement generated) through the impeller, so as opposed to "uncoupling" the drive for a true neutral, you just need to find the "sweet spot" where the forward and reverse thrust are approximately balanced by the position of your reverse bucket and the attendant water flow.......Good Luck!

Danhercules
04-08-2005, 06:38 AM
No not at all. You boat is always "in gear". The impeller is hooked up directly to your motor, so when the motor is on, the impeller is spinning. Like it was said above, you just have to find the "sweet spot" of forward and reverse.
Like also said, easy to dock once you understand how the boat moves.
You can accually walk you boat sidways, keep the wheel turned all the way one way and on idle, move back and forth from froward to reverse. The boat will start walkin. Good luck.
REMEMBER, YOU CAN ONLY STEER WITH THE MOTOR ON, AND IF YOU ARE ON PLANE AND LET OFF, YOU HAVE NO STEERING, YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT GAS TO TURN.

oldbuck40
04-08-2005, 06:50 AM
one other thing you guys have forgotten to tell brudda is and im sure you all have seen this!! some tard hops in a new jetboat or new to him,and cranks it up without holding on to the shifter and runs over the dock or someone cause the thrust will raise the reverse bucket on start up if your not holding on to it!!!

Danhercules
04-08-2005, 07:01 AM
That too!!

Brooski
04-08-2005, 01:30 PM
Or the newbie tries to gun it in reverse, and swamps the back of his boat. :p

bruddah
04-08-2005, 05:57 PM
no im not that new guys. i know how to drive and understand the concept now it is just clear and i do agree that it is very easy to dock once you get the hang of it. one other thing... where do you guys take your boats to be serviced or tuned up to make sure everythings goin good before the season? in the sd area..

Any&All'sgirl
04-08-2005, 06:11 PM
As a jetboat owner you will soon realize you must become a mechanic. The only way to keep it on the water is to keep on top of it yourself, if not you will be broke from mechanic bills. I know this cause my hubby has one...and you can go FLAT BROKE if you're not careful!!! ]:D

emjay
04-09-2005, 09:19 AM
Hi Bruddah,
Welome to the boards! Nice to have an experienced
boater join our army.
As everyone mentioned, a jet boat's pump is always
"in gear" and always spinning. Therefore it is important
when you start it up OUT of the water that you run a garden
hose to the pump. Even a few seconds of dry running a
pump can cause excessive wear & damage. (But your
mechanic will love you!)
Good luck Lance.
Mark

bruddah
04-09-2005, 10:29 PM
liek i said before any good mechanics to take my boat to in the san diego area besides my own garage. just want to get things ran through before the season starts up? thanks - lance