PDA

View Full Version : I test drove a duramax last night.

cdog
04-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Dammmmm. That truck hauled ass once the turbo spooled up. We were over at the tustin market place pickin up a new tahoe for the wife, ( so i'll be in the clear for a new truck soon ). While they were workin up the paperwork me and the wife took one for a test drive and I must say i'm really impressed. The one thing I did'nt care for is the door handles and wheel flares. Certin colors have the flares painted to match the truck and others don't. All colors have the black plastic door handles. :yuk: Aside from those details the trucks are bitchen. I was considering red but if I get the charcole black at least the wheel flares are painted. Where do you get the painted door handles? Website? Thanks.

Wicky
04-08-2005, 07:46 AM
I opted not to get the diesel. Yes, they do get about 15% better mileage but, diesel up here costs 20% more than regular gasoline.
Besides, I can always rob fuel for the dirtbikes or boat and vice versa if the truck is desperate for gas in the middle of the desert somewhere!!
Last time I drove down to cali I drove 70-75mph not towing the boat and got an average of 16.5 mpg.
My boat is very light and the 6.0 gas motor does a steller job.
On the other hand if your hauling a 30' Eliminator around, the Duramax is probably the way to go.
Food for thought,
Wicky

Dave C
04-08-2005, 07:49 AM
No sh*t!... I test drove one and bought it on the spot. I had no idea how fast it was until I test drove it. Much better than the 5.3.
Everyone talks about aftermarket power adding devices. Shoot, it really doesn't need it (did I just say that?)
I got white with painted fender flares and side panels. I agree that was a selling point. I hate the plastic look. :yuk:

Lightning
04-08-2005, 07:55 AM
Dammmmm. That truck hauled ass once the turbo spooled up. We were over at the tustin market place pickin up a new tahoe for the wife, ( so i'll be in the clear for a new truck soon ). While they were workin up the paperwork me and the wife took one for a test drive and I must say i'm really impressed. The one thing I did'nt care for is the door handles and wheel flares. Certin colors have the flares painted to match the truck and others don't. All colors have the black plastic door handles. :yuk: Aside from those details the trucks are bitchen. I was considering red but if I get the charcole black at least the wheel flares are painted. Where do you get the painted door handles? Website? Thanks.
You can get painted to match flares from the factory, it just depends on what options the truck has. Usually the LT model (leather) has the matching flares and the LS (cloth) does not. Matching door handles will cost under $300, just order them for a Suburban or Escalade and they bolt right in.

cdog
04-08-2005, 08:00 AM
I get 9 mpg towing my 29 shockwave with the suburban 8.1. And about 13.5 around town. The mileage would be nice but not manditory. I have to use the vehicle for buisness so hot rodding, loud exhaust and superchargers are out of the question for the sub. I like that after the warrenty gives up all I need is the edge juice and to flip a switch. Probably don't even need it but hey. I can never leave well enough alone. BTW the suburban does pretty well towing the boat. I just really want a truck.

Party Cat
04-08-2005, 08:01 AM
I got white with painted fender flares and side panels. I agree that was a selling point. I hate the plastic look. :yuk:
Here ya go Dave....they make a little difference in the look :) :)
These are the ones off of an Escalade...the YukonXL/Suburban ones are all painted...
http://www.irnoyfb.com/dmax/pchdoor.jpg

cdog
04-08-2005, 08:09 AM
You can get painted to match flares from the factory, it just depends on what options the truck has. Usually the LT model (leather) has the matching flares and the LS (cloth) does not. Matching door handles will cost under $300, just order them for a Suburban or Escalade and they bolt right in.
Lt for sure. THe white, charcole, puter have the flares painted. The black and red have the black plastic. Lame.
I did the escalade handles on my suburban. But the wife got them for my birthday gift last year and worked for primedia so they were comped.

Dave C
04-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks Guys!! :)
Here ya go Dave....they make a little difference in the look :) :)
These are the ones off of an Escalade...the YukonXL/Suburban ones are all painted...
http://www.irnoyfb.com/dmax/pchdoor.jpg

Eliminator 4 Life
04-08-2005, 08:48 AM
Cdog yank the flares off and buy it Im still waiting for my door handles to get done. I just bought the Escalade handles and had them painted to match. And of course it wont let me post a damn pic so Im screwed I cant show you :cry: :cry:

dicudmore
04-08-2005, 08:56 AM
I did the escalade handles on mine too.
Popular way to go....We keep 'em in stock.
If you need handles painted I know a guy that manages a chevy dealer body shop :wink:

bigkatboat
04-08-2005, 07:42 PM
SHIT! I bought the whole car! I thought you had to buy the Escalade to get the handles. You are now telling me I could have gone to the parts counter, and ordered JUST THE HANDLES! WOW!

Jordy
04-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Yeah, they haul ass in stock form, but are so much more fun hopped up. I've got a bone stock '04 for work and a hopped up '02 for play. Night and day. My boss just bought an '05 and I spent a couple days this week getting it all setup with intake, exhaust and an Edge box. ;)
Oh, and I picked up my Escalade handles new in box and already painted off of ebay for $200. ;)
One more thing on the handles, make sure you get them for an '04 or newer for a new truck as the driver side door is the only one with a key lock on it. The passenger side is filled in. If you're not careful you'll end up with a hole and no lock to put in it's place. ;)