PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Prices

Hardly Satisfied
04-25-2006, 10:16 AM
OUCH Just filled up my truck , F**K spent 110.02 for 35.05 gallons . This Sucks . 42 cents for state and federal road tax :cry:

Jyruiz
04-25-2006, 10:21 AM
It is going to come down some, read about it here. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060425/pl_nm/bush_energy_dc_6;_ylt=AoPdizLxzJmNMS5DVFw4JPU8rowC ;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)

Hardly Satisfied
04-25-2006, 10:33 AM
Another way Bush is screwing the people . Every summer we suffer with high prices

OCMerrill
04-25-2006, 11:10 AM
A 30% price spike in just 3-4 mo's is plain crazy. I don’t know of another commodity that does this and Oil never used to. Just because they can is plain F'd but that’s the money way. Demand of trading - Drives price - Based on hype from every little excuse.
How friggen important can Iran's oil be? It's the scare tactic that's important. Keep the hype going another day.
I don't think we will ever see anything under $2.50 again and $3.00 just might be the new Price point. I just paid $3.29 for diesel on south OC yesterday. Three bobtails running around all day...I feel it.
Record profits...In my business I am still trying to figure out how to get these. My business costs (Fuel- one example) keep knocking me down.
Have to start thinking of fuel protection soon. This wave of theft will surely rise.

a catered life
04-25-2006, 11:16 AM
first they stick it to us in the hinne and then smack us in the face and give the ceo of exxon a retirement package worth $138 million wtf :yuk:

572Daytona
04-25-2006, 11:29 AM
A 30% spike in other commodities isn't that unusual. That's why trading in them can be lucrative but also very risky.
Here's the recent crude graph:
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/BCM.gif
Here's a graph for gold:
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/GDM.gif
Here's copper:
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/CPM.gif
They are all subject to fluctuation and spikes. Oh and it's definitely all Bush's fault, just yesterday I think I saw him on the trading floor buying up all of the futures and creating a run in the market :rolleyes:

CARLSON-JET
04-25-2006, 11:30 AM
An interesting tidbit,
In less-developed parts of the world, some countries actually subsidize pump prices to keep them below what the gasoline actually costs to make. China, which recently raised fuel prices, still keeps them well below international market rates. Chinese drivers — and farmers — still pay the equivalent of less than $2 a gallon. As a result, the oil refining industry there is losing billions of dollars. That’s why the Chinese government is expected to continue to try to raise retail prices, while trying to avoid a major consumer backlash.
The cheapest places are in countries that produce the most oil. Iraq, until recently, pump prices were capped at 10 cents a gallon. Prices have risen to 40 cents a gallon. Iran also keeps pump prices low — less than 35 cents a gallon, according to a recent Reuters survey.
But for a real bargain, drive on down to Venezuela, where President Hugo Chavez has made a name for himself lately by delivering heating fuel to low-income American families at bargain prices. In Venezuela, you’ll pay just 12 cents a gallon to fill your tank

TexasJet
04-25-2006, 11:48 AM
It is going to come down some, read about it here. (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060425/pl_nm/bush_energy_dc_6;_ylt=AoPdizLxzJmNMS5DVFw4JPU8rowC ;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl)
There will be no new refineries built in the U.S. anytime soon. Between the regulations, impact studies, enviromentalists, permits required and local protest groups the oil companys wouldn't have a chance in hell. Bush is just running his mouth, and I voted for him so I can say that. The oil companys figured out it is cheaper to upgrade 4 existing refineries than try to build one new one. I agree we are being screwed by big oil. But to some extent we are screwing ourselves. I'm not going to get into all the issues like different blends of gas for different areas and carpooling and on and on. I will say one thing. I'm in the engineering business and the oil companys are pouring a lot of money into expansion and modernization. Our business is jamming, we are hiring a lot of new people and the competition is fierce. So in one respect the money we pay at the pump is going back into the economy. That makes it hurt a little less to pay $3.10 for 93 octane in Houston.

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2006, 11:54 AM
AThey are all subject to fluctuation and spikes.
Where your logic goes south is that the oil companies retail outlets raise prices on the gas in the ground at the stations, but it will take alot longer for the higher priced barrel of oil to be refined and in the ground.
It's call "gouging". Are we really that stupid? That is the real question.

TexasJet
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Where your logic goes south is that the oil companies retail outlets raise prices on the gas in the ground at the stations, but it will take alot longer for the higher priced barrel of oil to be refined and in the ground.
I agree with the logic statement. Even worse, most oil companys have contracts signed months in advance to buy X barrels at Y price. Not much oil is bought on the "spot market" by the major oil companies. I have read in the past that congress is "going to look into the price gouging issue" and nothing ever comes it. I don't think we are stupid, just powerless as individuals.

Racer277
04-25-2006, 12:06 PM
That's correct out here also.
Although Shell tried to shut down a local refinery, it was bought by Flying J. Then Shell tried to stop delivering to it, fortunately the state required Shell to continue.
Flying J is expanding the refinery significantly.
There is no way to build a new refinery in this state.
There will be no new refineries built in the U.S. anytime soon. Between the regulations, impact studies, enviromentalists, permits required and local protest groups the oil companys wouldn't have a chance in hell. Bush is just running his mouth, and I voted for him so I can say that. The oil companys figured out it is cheaper to upgrade 4 existing refineries than try to build one new one. I agree we are being screwed by big oil. But to some extent we are screwing ourselves. I'm not going to get into all the issues like different blends of gas for different areas and carpooling and on and on. I will say one thing. I'm in the engineering business and the oil companys are pouring a lot of money into expansion and modernization. Our business is jamming, we are hiring a lot of new people and the competition is fierce. So in one respect the money we pay at the pump is going back into the economy. That makes it hurt a little less to pay $3.10 for 93 octane in Houston.

572Daytona
04-25-2006, 12:08 PM
So if the wholesale price of coffee jumped significantly, your grocery store wouldn't reflect that in the price until everything you had on hand and already on ordered was sold? I doubt it. Or if the price to build a new house increases due to increase in building materials, you would sell your existing house at a discount since you were lucky enough to have it built when materials were cheaper? It's supply and demand, not gouging. If the gas companies left the price lowered, some enterprising individual would just go and fill up a tank truck and sell the gas he bought at a profit next week.

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2006, 12:11 PM
I don't think we are stupid, just powerless as individuals.
The FTC let it happen with all the consolidation in the industry- the few remaining oil companies now control the wholesale and retail pricing.
By "stupid" I mean vote with your knowledge...or it can only get worse.

OCMerrill
04-25-2006, 12:15 PM
That's where I was headed with my comments. Price at the pump up like 30% in short order. Long before that oil is even pumped out of the ground. Were all paying ahead.

HefeRaton
04-25-2006, 12:19 PM
first they stick it to us in the hinne and then smack us in the face and give the ceo of exxon a retirement package worth $138 million wtf :yuk:
I read it was a $400 million package.

Big Warlock
04-25-2006, 12:19 PM
we keep having this debate! Haven't we decided it's all Bush's fault already? See previous posts!! Kerry and Kennedy are the answer!! :cry:

moneypit
04-25-2006, 12:28 PM
Another way Bush is screwing the people . Every summer we suffer with high prices
Huh? :idea:

Big Warlock
04-25-2006, 12:42 PM
Then vote for God's sake. And learn about the issue. George Bush predicted this exact situation in his first term. He called for the building of more refineries at that time. He called for additional energy production facilities and he called for the expansion of drilling and exploration in our country.
Facts are that it is still cheaper and easier to drill in a third world country and ship the oil home that it is to go through the headaches of dealing with the regulation and politics in the USA.
There is a severe capacity shortage. in our refineries. This isn't news. The economy has expanded significantly in the past 20 years. We all agree on that. We also agree that no new facilities have been built. And, in fact. many facilities have been closed. So work on your math skills and let me know what the solution is. Until then, stop whinning and pay up and the pump!! Your govenment needs the tax money!!! :yuk:

AzMandella
04-25-2006, 01:54 PM
Then vote for God's sake. And learn about the issue. George Bush predicted this exact situation in his first term. He called for the building of more refineries at that time. He called for additional energy production facilities and he called for the expansion of drilling and exploration in our country.
Facts are that it is still cheaper and easier to drill in a third world country and ship the oil home that it is to go through the headaches of dealing with the regulation and politics in the USA.
There is a severe capacity shortage. in our refineries. This isn't news. The economy has expanded significantly in the past 20 years. We all agree on that. We also agree that no new facilities have been built. And, in fact. many facilities have been closed. So work on your math skills and let me know what the solution is. Until then, stop whinning and pay up and the pump!! Your govenment needs the tax money!!! :yuk:
Thank you Big Warlock.finaly someone with some brains.It's amazing how easily the left wing morons overlook the fact that Bush tried to push for more drilling and exploration in our own country.Only to have all the enviromentalist and liberals screaming "NO".And now they all start screaming about the fuel prices and blame Bush for it.No different than all the liberals that wre against building more electricity generating stations in califonia and then whined and cried when they could'nt run there A/C durring the power shortages.

Big Warlock
04-25-2006, 02:18 PM
We keep talking about this on several threads. I love a great debate, but it's getting old. People need to learn the facts. Why is it your paying high prices for fuel? It isn't directly related to the price af a barrel of oil. How much in taxes are you paying? etc etc. Most Americans don't know nor are they interested in the facts. But it's easy to get on the Democratic bandwagon and bash Bush!
Here are some facts for ya:
Economy is awesome! Unemployment is at an unbelievable 3% (plus a pinch). We are short workers, not jobs. If you can't find a job, look hard in the mirror again.
The other day, at the lake, I spoke with a young lady who was unemployed and looking. She is about 29 years old and recently applied for a CFO position. I took an interest, since this is my field of interest as well. Come to find out she worked for a year in accounting doing the payables. She has a high school diploma. And observed the CFO and controller at her work for the year she was employed there. She doesn't know anything about taxes, financial statements, financial analysis, reporting, etc. etc. But she applied for a $250K a year position! These are the people that complain they only need the opportunity. They are being screwed by society. when I tell them I went to school, joined the service for 5 years, came out and went back to graduate school, worked my way through a couple of companies. All they see is a 40 some year old guy with a nice boat who obviously had a break someplace and did ok. And they are ready for the same break.
I want to venture that many people that believe this crap about the oil companies and Buch have similar stories. And I will go out on a limb and make a prediction. Congress will hold hearing on the oil companies. NOTHING will come of it people! Because NOTHING has been done wrong. And a bunch of Democrats, saying so in public, in hearing and news conferences won't change that! There will be no one going to jail. No trails. etc etc.
PS Valerie Plame was not a CIA agent. She was an analyst. She said so on her "covert" credit applications she filled out all over the place!!! And, no one is in jail. No one has been indicted for that. etc. etc. Same thing with the oil situation.
So help out. 1) Learn about the issue and be open minded. 2) Vote for the solution, which is to put into place people that will allow for domestic exploration and production and the building of new refineries so our economy can continue to grow.
Off the box...... :crossx:

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2006, 04:45 PM
And I will go out on a limb and make a prediction. Congress will hold hearing on the oil companies. NOTHING will come of it people! Because NOTHING has been done wrong.
Do you think that monopolies have not been broken up before?
They have (and for alot less marketshare than the oil companies currently enjoy).
The FTC let it happen, loooong before Bush got in office.

a catered life
04-25-2006, 05:19 PM
We keep talking about this on several threads. I love a great debate, but it's getting old. People need to learn the facts. Why is it your paying high prices for fuel? It isn't directly related to the price af a barrel of oil. How much in taxes are you paying? etc etc. Most Americans don't know nor are they interested in the facts. But it's easy to get on the Democratic bandwagon and bash Bush!
Here are some facts for ya:
Economy is awesome! Unemployment is at an unbelievable 3% (plus a pinch). We are short workers, not jobs. If you can't find a job, look hard in the mirror again.
The other day, at the lake, I spoke with a young lady who was unemployed and looking. She is about 29 years old and recently applied for a CFO position. I took an interest, since this is my field of interest as well. Come to find out she worked for a year in accounting doing the payables. She has a high school diploma. And observed the CFO and controller at her work for the year she was employed there. She doesn't know anything about taxes, financial statements, financial analysis, reporting, etc. etc. But she applied for a $250K a year position! These are the people that complain they only need the opportunity. They are being screwed by society. when I tell them I went to school, joined the service for 5 years, came out and went back to graduate school, worked my way through a couple of companies. All they see is a 40 some year old guy with a nice boat who obviously had a break someplace and did ok. And they are ready for the same break.
I want to venture that many people that believe this crap about the oil companies and Buch have similar stories. And I will go out on a limb and make a prediction. Congress will hold hearing on the oil companies. NOTHING will come of it people! Because NOTHING has been done wrong. And a bunch of Democrats, saying so in public, in hearing and news conferences won't change that! There will be no one going to jail. No trails. etc etc.
PS Valerie Plame was not a CIA agent. She was an analyst. She said so on her "covert" credit applications she filled out all over the place!!! And, no one is in jail. No one has been indicted for that. etc. etc. Same thing with the oil situation.
So help out. 1) Learn about the issue and be open minded. 2) Vote for the solution, which is to put into place people that will allow for domestic exploration and production and the building of new refineries so our economy can continue to grow.
Off the box...... :crossx:
i stopped reading when you said $250,000 a year...do you want to adopt a 6'2" chubby full body tanned son with his own boat :p ok i lied i'm fat as hell but cute :p