PDA

View Full Version : UPdate on Dune Robbery

Her454
04-08-2005, 03:45 PM
From the Yuma Daily Sun -yesterday. Sorry if this is a repost.
Yuman wants to monitor border
BY JEFFREY GAUTREAUX
Apr 7, 2005
About 35 people attended the first meeting for a group that Yuma resident Flash Sharrar hopes to build into a border watch program. The first meeting, held at Team RAMCO, 4701 E. Gila Ridge Road, was to assess what resources volunteers could offer the fledgling project.
"We're about nonviolence," Sharrar said. "We need to be getting resources and equipment together."
Sharrar's son, Matthew, was allegedly robbed at gunpoint in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area on March 27, and, in response, Sharrar has spearheaded the effort to create a citizen's group that will decrease illegal entry into the United States.
The program is similar to the Minuteman Project that is ongoing in southeastern Arizona.
Sharrar said the group needed lights, radios, telephones, four-wheel drive vehicles, sand tires, contact phone numbers, maps, compasses, global positioning devices and other items. He said volunteers would also need to be trained in watching the border and first aid.
"This is not about being a vigilante or color or creed," Sharrar said. "It is about this country being overrun by people who pointed a gun at (Matthew's) head. It is our civic duty as citizens of Yuma to stop this crisis."
Agent Joe Brigman, spokesman for the Yuma sector Border Patrol, declined to comment.
A sign-up sheet was passed around, so willing participants could list what equipment they had that could be used. Sharrar said the next meeting would be Wednesday to start work on training.
Dennis Franklin, who is helping Sharrar to organize the group, said a training plan was being put together. He said it would likely take place over a weekend.
Lt. Steve Gutierrez of the Imperial County Sheriff's Office came to the meeting to gather information after being invited by Sharrar. He refused comment about whether the proposed plan would make things easier or more difficult for the agency.
"First, I have to know their mission, and I don't believe it was clear tonight," he said.
The area to be monitored was not discussed at the meeting. Sharrar had said previously that it would be in Arizona but watching the border in California was discussed as well Wednesday night.
Sharrar said the aim was to deter the entrance of illegal aliens — not to apprehend them. He said guns should not be used by border watchers.
Josh Webb of Yuma said there are more illegal aliens coming across than the Border Patrol could handle. But he did not like the idea of monitoring the border unarmed.
"If I go fishing or booneying, I always have a gun," he said. "I don't want to be vulnerable."
Webb did not know if the program could be successful. "It's hard to say," he said. "If it's run right."
Darrel Hall of Yuma said he would have no problem with being unarmed. He said a program like the one Sharrar is proposing is necessary. "We need to protect our borders, number one," Hall said. "Our borders are unsafe. And the people who are coming across are being taken advantage of."
---

spectratoad
04-08-2005, 03:58 PM
If I was closer to the border I would be there with them. I read in the paper this AM that Mexico is, here is the paragraph,
"Mexico's foreign relations department also pledged in the days leading up to the civilian operation (Minutemen) to pursue all legal and diplomatic means to ensure they do not violate the rights of Mexican citizens."
WTF is that all about. Where is everyone missing the term, "ILLEGAL ALIEN" I just don't get how stopping people from entering our country ILLEGALLY is wrong. :mad: :mad: