PDA

View Full Version : City Council On The Channel

Not So Fast
04-09-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm surprised no one has reported on the meeting our city council had this week. They are starting early this year on the "behavior in the channel" with one council woman declaring "shut the whole thing down". Then cooler heads prevailed I guess, but the talk of having one boat to a mooring station and ONE WAY traffic seems to be in favor of most of them. I think they will do like they have with the carbon monoxide deal and enforce as needed (one way traffic), especially on big weekends, crap, every weekend is big now. We'll see! NSF

Stealth Marine
04-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I'm surprised no one has reported on the meeting our city council had this week. They are starting early this year on the "behavior in the channel" with one council woman declaring "shut the whole thing down". Then cooler heads prevailed I guess, but the talk of having one boat to a mooring station and ONE WAY traffic seems to be in favor of most of them. I think they will do like they have with the carbon monoxide deal and enforce as needed (one way traffic), especially on big weekends, crap, every weekend is big now. We'll see! NSF
Thats the problem with them, you have to keep a CLOSE eye on them everytime they meet or they slip something like this in on you when your not paying attention.

shueman
04-09-2005, 03:38 PM
They were dropped by their insurance carrier due to the CO deal. You watch, they will put footbridges across, south of the resorts, and effectively shut it down to the party animals.

Not So Fast
04-10-2005, 07:09 AM
I would be willing to bet that there will be some sort of regulation to control the channel before the end of this season. There has been too much talk of it to not have something go down, like I said "we'll see" NSF

Ultrafied
04-10-2005, 07:21 AM
I would be willing to bet that there will be some sort of regulation to control the channel before the end of this season. There has been too much talk of it to not have something go down, like I said "we'll see" NSF
I think you're right. Spring Break isn't helping either. Every time I've been there for the last 3 weekends, a lot more of the kids are getting hooked up for either underage drinking or public intoxication. It just seems that the number of incidents is increasing and it's noticeable.

Keith E. Sayre
04-11-2005, 12:11 AM
Every lake in the country is fighting for the tourist dollars and spending tons of cash to get folks to go there. We keep chasing everyone away. One of
these days, we will have ruined a good thing. And this town will go down
the toilet as quick as it doubled in size recently.
Will someone please remind the folks that are obviously way out of touch with reality on our city council that this lake is what made this city in the
desert. And will someone please explain to me why running boats all in one
direction will help to slow down the amount of underage drinking and nudity
and disruptive behavior during spring break. Don't they get it? the majority
of the trouble makers and problem people weren't boaters, they were kids
visiting from colleges from all over. You can close the channel or run it one
way and you'd have the same amount of problems but they'll be somewhere
else in the city or on the lake.
If you don't like what goes on at the sandbar, don't go there, if you don't like
what goes on in the channel on big weekends then don't go there. It seems
simple, I don't really think that I'd like playing bingo at the retirement homes
or at the senior citizens center, so I don't go there.
Keith Sayre

Danzo
04-11-2005, 01:02 AM
I go to Havasu to escape the everyday life of So Cal. My favorite spot to hang is the channel. I am also pursuing the possibility of buying a house in Havasu. I can honestly say that I don't know much about Lake Havasu City's council members but I am very familiar with thier type. I am a Firefighter/Paramedic and I am very involved in my community and frequent many council meetings in my city. It usually is very conservative (or liberal) individuals who are older in age, that don't participate in the activities that they often are trying to change. With that said, why is it that these people are trying to condemn the very thing(s) that put this city on the map? THE LAKE? Pretty soon if you outlaw noise, the channel, the sandbar, copper canyon any every thing else why are people (mostly from So Cal and AZ.) gonna want to visit your TOURIST city? Whats next? No alcohol sales within city limits if you are trailering a boat? No boats that are over 20' in length?
It seems to me that these city council members need to pull their collective heads out of thier ASSE$ and ask themselves is all the change going to bankrupt thier city?
I for one would not have a problem in saying FUCQ Havi and buy a house in Bullhead and spend my on water time @ Mohave!

BigDoug
04-11-2005, 05:06 AM
Well said Kieth and Danzo....... :hammerhea

SDLifesaver
04-11-2005, 05:21 AM
We just got back from Havasu lastnight and I have been noticing a big change in the crowds over the last few years. Younger, bolder, extreme in every way. I didn't go look for myself, but someone told me they blasted the jump rock off in Copper Canyon? Is this true? I agree with what Keith and Danzo said and I believe the answer to alot of problems would be don't change anything in the city but if you want a cleaner channel then bust all the trouble makers and gross offenders and leave the average joes/janes to keep doing what we have been doing all along. The city will SCREW itself it their not careful. my .02

NOTALENT
04-11-2005, 05:48 AM
We just got back from Havasu lastnight and I have been noticing a big change in the crowds over the last few years. Younger, bolder, extreme in every way. I didn't go look for myself, but someone told me they blasted the jump rock off in Copper Canyon? Is this true? I agree with what Keith and Danzo said and I believe the answer to alot of problems would be don't change anything in the city but if you want a cleaner channel then bust all the trouble makers and gross offenders and leave the average joes/janes to keep doing what we have been doing all along. The city will SCREW itself it their not careful. my .02
Nope..the Copper Canyon's rock is still there..

Havasu_Dreamin
04-11-2005, 07:27 AM
I believe the answer to alot of problems would be don't change anything in the city but if you want a cleaner channel then bust all the trouble makers and gross offenders and leave the average joes/janes to keep doing what we have been doing all along. The city will SCREW itself it their not careful. my .02
I personally agree with this. To me it seems the City Council is more concearned about the illegal activities that go on as opposed to the what the average joe/jane does. We all know the CO solution was a somewhat kneejerk response becasue the city knew it's a$$ was on the line because a few people ended up drowning with CO, in addition to being plastered, was listed as a contributing factor, and as a result, the city lost its insurance coverage. The City had to do something, and we now have those message boards. Unfortunately, people still do sit and just idle while on the beach.

phebus
04-11-2005, 07:41 AM
I know some people won't like this, but I think all they need to do, is budget for more law enforcement. If they would/could just crack down on those that are causing all the problems, rather then making stricter rules that in effect just punish everyone, sanity would prevail.
It really has gotten out of control in recent years.

Essex502
04-11-2005, 07:49 AM
I agree - crack down harshly on the miscreants that are ruining it for everyone else.
Underage drinking in the channel or on the lake? Release them ONLY to the parents. If their parents are not in town - hold them until they show up!
Public sex...charge them and prosecute them as sex crimes. How would those stupid fools like to register as a sex offender every time they move.
Idling in the channel when told not to - impound the boat. One warning only.
I'm sure I could think of more harsh penalties if I try.

Danhercules
04-11-2005, 07:57 AM
I agree 100% More LE. Thats what happend in Glamis, too many trouble makers and so they stepped up the LE and its gettin better after a few years. So, there will be a few years that you have to watch your ass.

Not So Fast
04-11-2005, 08:09 AM
I know some people won't like this, but I think all they need to do, is budget for more law enforcement. If they would/could just crack down on those that are causing all the problems, rather then making stricter rules that in effect just punish everyone, sanity would prevail.
Right on! another factor I believe is that a lot of these offenses are classified misdemeanors and the fine is paid and you are on your way, dont happen to know how much the fine is though but what about making the violation have a stipulation that you have to spend two or three days picking up trash plus the fine and in a pink jumpsuit (ala Sheriff Joe). The time and money spent to clean up not only the channel but the entire lake would hire a few more LE for enforcing the already existent laws!! Unless you have been out on one of the old cleanup patrols, you wouldnt believe what is left behind on almost any weekend!! NSF

Dave C
04-11-2005, 09:29 AM
LMAO.
I will have you know that I drove 10+ hours just to see that moonscape of a landscape you got down there ;) :idea:
and imagine my surprise after I arrived .... look at all that water!
Will someone please remind the folks that are obviously way out of touch with reality on our city council that this lake is what made this city in the
desert.

Stealth Marine
04-11-2005, 10:24 AM
We all seem to see the problem for what it is, and see simple and straight forward solutions, BECAUSE "we" want to keep the channel/Lake/Sandbar/ect OPEN for us to use.
Problem is, there are quite a few people here in River City that do NOT want to keep it open. They would be just delighted if the whole damn thing were shut down. Thus we have this conflict on the boartd as they battle back and forth, one side wanting to shut it all down and citing every excuse they can find, and the other wanting to keep it open and looking for common ground and trying to appease the other side.
Right now, for us, its a LOOSE-LOOSE situation.
City Council as a whole simply doesn't value the water and the people it brings in as much as we do.
When LHC looses both the snowbirds and the boaters this town will just fade away..

Havasu_Dreamin
04-11-2005, 10:57 AM
Exactly! Enforce the laws already in place and in time there will be a difference.

jbtrailerjim
04-11-2005, 12:28 PM
I agree with this. They don't need more rules, they just need more law enforcement to help enforce the laws.
It's a shame because the majority of the people who frequent the lake IMO obey the laws. It's just a handfull of idiots that don't know how to control themselves that are going to screw it up for all of us. :mad:

Mrs. 4-B
04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Aren't most of the city council members up for recall right now? Did that already happen? Anyone know what's going on with that? Too much inbreeding on that council! :frown:

Not So Fast
04-11-2005, 12:52 PM
Aren't most of the city council members up for recall right now? Did that already happen? Anyone know what's going on with that? Too much inbreeding on that council! :frown:
Yes they are Mrs 4-B, the Mayor and I believe 3 of the council and they are verifying the petition signatures as we speak. The mood in Havasu seems to support the recall because of many bad decisions, and just so you know our mayor owns Campbell boat sales and will be building his big brand new facility with a gas station right on the corner of Industrial & London Bridge Rd right in front of Windsor. Amazing huh?? NSF

prosthogod
04-11-2005, 02:42 PM
I agree with the enforcement of laws 100%, but do you really think more LE in the channel is the answer. You go there on any weekend now and there are cops in boats, golf cars, atv's, bikes. and on foot. Everywhere you look there is a badge. When you shut down the sandbar, copper canyon, etc. on big weekends everyone packs into the channel and it becomes a nightmare. Maybe opening up those spots and puuting LE there to watch things. There was a ton of LE in every cove last memorial.

tisfortexas
04-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Re-election time is perfect for ya'll to run and get elected to fix this before they do.

ClownRoyal
04-11-2005, 03:00 PM
The City Councel talks about this every start to each boating season...right after Spring Break. Has the City Counsel ever hired a consulting firm to figure out how much money boaters bring to the area each weekend (hotels, food, gas, etc)? I bet it is huge.
More and more restrictions (shutting down the Channel, Sandbar ...) will drive boaters away. Havasu will be toast.
Personally, I don't think the community will let it happen. Too many people in Havasu rely on the boaters business.

Ducatista
04-11-2005, 03:29 PM
I was watching the local Havasu TV station awhile ago and there was this person who was pushing for a no open container zone in the channel. She felt this would alleviate most of the problems that LE encounter, claiming that alcohol seemed to be the common factor in most "problems". We were there on Friday and there were LE everywhere you looked, doing there thing, we had a good time. I wouldn't want to see this happen, the channel has enough regulations as it is, but it sure as heck would solve most of the issues they complain about at the channel I think. Unfortunatly this would also force the partiers out on to the lake, which of course would cause other problems in other areas. :yuk:

Ultrafied
04-11-2005, 03:58 PM
More LE to enforce the laws currently on the books would be a great start. Everyone has to admit, Lake Havasu is known more for partying then boating at this stage in it's life. Whenever I say Lake Havasu to my "non-boating" friends, the looks and the comments always describe the wild "incidents" they have heard about, the excessive drinking and the number of minors that partake in both!
The LE have a tough time right now, they really can only try to enforce the flagrant violations. As I said earlier, there were more hook ups when I've gone down this time during Spring Break then any of the other years.
As far as revenue lost if the boating was reduced is a 2 edged sword. For many, yes, revenue is brought in, while others, not much revenue is actually realized. These include the people who bring food and other necessities from home (and have a place in LHC, or renting a Condo, etc.). Gas revenue is only realized if people actually use their boat (i.e. not much gas is used to go from Windsor to the Channel and then sit for 4-8 hours).
Whatever solution becomes a reality, it won't be easy ..... ;)

shueman
04-11-2005, 04:05 PM
We all seem to see the problem for what it is, and see simple and straight forward solutions, BECAUSE "we" want to keep the channel/Lake/Sandbar/ect OPEN for us to use.
Problem is, there are quite a few people here in River City that do NOT want to keep it open. They would be just delighted if the whole damn thing were shut down. Thus we have this conflict on the boartd as they battle back and forth, one side wanting to shut it all down and citing every excuse they can find, and the other wanting to keep it open and looking for common ground and trying to appease the other side.
Right now, for us, its a LOOSE-LOOSE situation.
City Council as a whole simply doesn't value the water and the people it brings in as much as we do.
When LHC looses both the snowbirds and the boaters this town will just fade away..
Well spoken and EXACTLY on "target"...!!!

shueman
04-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Let em close the channel, sandbar, coppercanyon, all the fun places, and havasu will dry up in 5 years !!!
Not likely.... :rolleyes:

hot_diggity_dog
04-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Hey I was parked by you ion the channel LOL
HDD

hot_diggity_dog
04-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Exactly! Enforce the laws already in place and in time there will be a difference.
I think the LE does a good job in the channel. :D
My observation from sitting in there on the big weekends.
LE on ATV's on both sides of the channel, foot patrol and bikes.
I seen a group of (8) LE on personal water craft. And 2-3 boats with a temporary booking station on both ends of the channel!
Pretty much you make a seen, :hammerhea nudity :2purples: or underage drinking and they get you! :hammerhea
HDD :cool: