PDA

View Full Version : TOO HIGH?

jroos
08-12-2001, 07:27 AM
I am tearing my motor apart and replacing the cam. I do not know if I will run another Lunati or not. 460, roller rockers, dove heads, dive block, Mallory electric w/ High Fire 4c box. I am running an Edelbrock rpm performer with 2" spacer. First inch is 4 hole, second inch is dual plane. Had it milled like this. Topped off with a 750 mechanical dual feed and pump, butterfly removed. I would like to run a tunnel with 2 600`s. I know the torque curve will lie flat till 4 g. What if I made another spacer and popped the 600`s up another 2 inches? Wouldn`t this "fool" the motor into thinking this was less carb and maybe regain some of my torque curve? Anyone ever done or seen dyno results with spacer, carb, tunnel setups? I also have a mounting palte for my scoop that adds another 3/16 of height. One last thing, the emissions humps have been removed in the exhaust ports and I am running stock through transom logs. And no i haven`t cut the step off the back of the log. I feel that the tube would be hard to seal plus it wouild be too big for the tips. I really would like the look of a mountain motor without the price. If I do this, how does my cable hook up? Does someone make custom pieces for this?

nitro557
08-12-2001, 08:07 AM
from the pics you sent me you have the same tips i had i put in 4 inch tips fitted for 3 1/2 hose i got new elbows and cut them back i got it all from eddie marine tip #100-08 riser #110-05 the phone number is 909-945-2830 . this set up looks great on the southwind, as far as the spacer goes id run the carbs directly on the intake with 50cc squirters to cove the flat spot off idle

nitro557
08-12-2001, 08:15 AM
also if you get the linkage kit for the intake your cable will still hook up

jroos
08-12-2001, 08:45 AM
Nitro, will I have to cut the transom to fit the bigger tips, I no this sounds dumb, but really? After tips, did you cut the step off the elbow, and what sixe pipe did you run again? Thanks.

nitro557
08-12-2001, 09:31 AM
i used a 4 inch hole saw after you get the old tip out find the size and get a hole saw bit that size also use it as the guide inside the 4 inch saw , i used 3 1/2 inch hose , ill take a pic this week and send it to you

Rat Raft
08-12-2001, 04:28 PM
I run a TR w/2 600 VS Holleys and have plenty of midrange power. It pulls skiers just fine@ 3000-3500 RPM. All I have for spacers are the adapters (1/2") needed to run the carbs sideways. If you run them sideways you will need the linkage, Jegs Summit ect. have it for around $150.

jroos
08-14-2001, 01:37 PM
Nitro, still there? I believe Rat that on the weiand tunnel the carbs are mounted side ways. Not sure though, 460.

jroos
08-14-2001, 04:04 PM
Just took timing cover off my 460. Now I know why the mechanical pump didn`t work. The eccentric or cam bolt fell out! Cam threads look fine. No tab on the back of the cup. Is there a cup this sits in? Bolt is toast. Also, my cam timing is way off. No damage to cam, or key way (dowel). Cam gear is fine. Now I know why I kept shooting flames 6 feet in the air out the carb. All I have is a bolt and flat. Is there suppose to be locktite or lock washer? First bb Ford. Some wear on cover from bolt. Is there an aftermarket cover, perhaps 2 piece for quick cam changes? I hate to pull the motor for pan gaskets. The little gasket pieces to fit under the cover aren`t worth #@%&*. Used them on a 302 in truck and they leaked. Impossible to get them right I feel. Help, Summer is coming to an end.

jroos
08-14-2001, 04:15 PM
I am putting Carter mechanical pump back on, can I still use my electric pump? Does it have to be on or will fuel still flow through. Before or after mechanical. Holley electric.

nitro557
08-15-2001, 01:16 PM
when you finally do a new motor or maybe now
drill a second hole for a dowel pin across from the current dowel pin on the cam with high spring pressure the single pin is not enough , personaly i dont like the mech fuel pumps i run electric carry a spare and drian the fuel in it over the winter then spray wd40 in it to protect it , as far as side ways carbs that has to be done with double pumper on vac secondarys they can be run inline , if you go with double pumpers run a seperate fuel system for each carb also dont run high dollar regulators the cheap holleys work just fine , ive tried them all, i like the looks of a tunnel ram but i run a single carb less headaches and a portosonic intake i did a lot of dyno testing years ago and that intake was the best

TX19
08-15-2001, 07:42 PM
jroos...If you do pull the motor for pan gaskets, Ford makes a one piece pan gasket for the 460. I used one on my last engine and it is really easy to install. You would have to try to make it leak. I am not sure what the part number is for the gasket, but you should be able to ask for a one piece gasket at a dealership and be able to pick one up.
nitro557...I did the same thing you did with the Port-0-Sonic several years ago and came to the same conclusion. Recently I tried the Victor Jr. You might give it a shot on your next dyno session. It worked very well for me, a little better than the P-o-S, but that was all below 6,000 RPM and the P-o-S is just starting to work there.

jroos
08-16-2001, 05:09 AM
Thamks, 100 bucks at the dealership for inner and outer eccentrics. Going to the junkyard. Nitro, dill a hole in the cam and a hole through the cam gear. Insert pin in cam right?

nitro557
08-16-2001, 06:04 AM
yes and if useing a mech pump also thru the lobe for driveing it , use a solid dowel for the pin and leave a good press fit so it wont come out

jroos
08-16-2001, 06:24 AM
OK nitro. I will give it a shot. I am going to get a tunnel ram. Should I run the twin 600`s or buy another 750 4150 series and run those? Also, I`ve always been told to build torque for boats. I crossed from cars, it seems to me that my operating RPM range will be 2500 and above. Why on earth would I build for torque? I DO NOT want to sacrifice idle quality! I do want the mountain motor look. Fuel consumption is not a concern of mine. I live by the phrase: " Jets are a lot of Show and a little bit of Go!". I am going to use two 2" spacers just to get them up a little higher. Hence I`m more apt to running the 750`s. Both will be mechanical seconds and dual feed and pump. Would I still need the 50cc pumps. If I do go with 600`s, I will get the 50cc pumps and mill the air horns.

nitro557
08-16-2001, 06:42 AM
id run the 750 carbs side ways with a seperate pump for each carb , let me know haw it runs i want to do the same with mine over the winter, do you still run the engine cover or is yours open

jroos
08-16-2001, 07:25 AM
It is covered. Thru transom ex.

jroos
08-16-2001, 08:04 AM
A pump for each carb. I feel that would be overkill. I am running a mechanical and electric, shouldn`t that be enough? Hell, I don`t think I have enough room for two electric pumps. I wonder if I could run them both off the same circuit? If the wire gauge is enough. Nah, 2 gauges, another pump, fittings, hose, that = NOT COST EFFECTIVE. I am really wondering about linkage. What`s easier or less fab work? Front to back or side by side? Everything I`ve read or tried with cars, either way had no bearing on performance.

nitro557
08-16-2001, 08:20 AM
with two pumps its easy to trouble shoot and running lean wont happen , for mounting what i did was buy a trim tab plane and bolt it to the stringer up agianst the transom , they are stianless and look good plus other electronics can mount to it and its out of the way

LS7
08-16-2001, 08:29 AM
I have an Electric fuel pump and a mechanical in my system also jroos. I don't use the Electric at all only the Mechanical.
I would suggest placing a tee or "y" off your main feed line so you can feed the primaries and secondaries with separate lines. Also a regulator placed between each bowl would be highly reccomended.
On the "dual carb thread" I posted pics of the left and right side of my motor take note of the regulator placement.
LS

jroos
08-16-2001, 08:42 AM
Cool LS, but where is your electric? I have saddle tanks, line comes out and goes to an inline site fuel filter. Each line along transom lip, they both meet at a water seperator mounted in the middle of taransom lip. Fuel line then runs down transom, perko to pump and shoe, then up to mechanical. Should I have electric after mechanical or before possibly mounted to stringer as nitro suggested. I would like everything to stay out of transom just for obvios reasons like water, oil, and ease of replacement. Nice boat, and the blue and white one in the background looks like mine, a Southwind.

jroos
08-16-2001, 10:01 AM
Just dropped a line to Weiand`s tech dept. about what hat type for my setup.

LS7
08-16-2001, 10:15 AM
I have two side tanks, Tee'ed together, out the Tee to the FRAM FUEL filter, out to a "T" one line goes to the ELECT other To MECH. Both lines are are "T" together again after MECH. There is ball cone check valve on the Elect line so the Mechanical is NOT pumping back throuh the Elect.
I will take picture and post for you, the enitre setup sounds messy bu it is all mounted on a Alum bracket on the transom. Two bolts and the Elect and all fitting come out as a unit.
Now don't let me lead you astray the dual Electric Methode is very common and works well without a Mechanical. They mormally mount each Electrical close to each side tank directly to a Fram Fuel filter mounted on each side. These lines are tee'ed together and the run up to the carbs. But again at the carbs they are tee'ed or "y'ed" with dual regulators for primaries and secondaries.
I will try to post pix tonight.
LS
http://www.krispykreme.com/images/movingd.gif
[This message has been edited by LS7 (edited August 16, 2001).]

LS7
08-16-2001, 10:15 AM
wow double post
[This message has been edited by LS7 (edited August 16, 2001).]

jroos
08-16-2001, 01:54 PM
Why do some people say that the tunnel sucks yet others say that they get so much more speed? Looking at the stats I gave for my motor, can someone shoot me straight? 600`s or 750`s? Please give me honest opinions before I order.