PDA

View Full Version : How bad is my gas?

ryantparks
04-10-2005, 07:20 AM
Thought that would get some attn. The boat was filled up in both tanks in Oct. so its been a few months now, is there anything to worry about. No fuel stabilizers were used or anything.
Or just fire it up and go?

Not So Fast
04-10-2005, 07:59 AM
Thought that would get some attn. The boat was filled up in both tanks in Oct. so its been a few months now, is there anything to worry about. No fuel stabilizers were used or anything.
I've always put stabilizer in because of articles I've read but I'm not so sure anymore. I too filled my tanks in Oct. but I did put in Stabil fuel stabilizer, We took the boat out a short time ago to keep things lubed up and I noticed the back of the boat was very sooty which I did not like so I'm thru with that crap. You do, so I'm told, lose some octane if gas sits so maybe fill it with premium and that will help. I'm sure some other people smarter than me about this will help you out! NSF

mickeyfinn
04-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Without knowing specifics about your engine it is hard to say. If it is not high compression and runs on premium you are probably fine. If it worries you take it out and run it easy. Once you have used about half of it refill it with premium and go enjoy.

Parker
04-10-2005, 08:20 AM
I have heard that gas loses 1 octane per month while sitting. Could be wrong, but that is what I have always gone by.

Daytona100
04-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Throw a couple jugs of your favorite octane booster in the tank and run all the gas out of it. Then drain your water seperator and your good to go!!! :supp:

Forkin' Crazy
04-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Yea, if you don't have a bunch of compression, blowers, etc., you should be OK. I wouldn't run it WFO still. Run each tank down to 3/4 to 1/2 and fill with avgas. BTW, avgas will last a long time in the tank. What I fill mine with if it sits for a long time.

Dr. Eagle
04-10-2005, 10:54 AM
I usually put in some Berrymans Chemtool B12 or Gumout liquid in each tank before I use the stored gas. You are probably OK, but those additives will dissolve most varnish...

surfer2001
04-10-2005, 12:30 PM
drain it, i ran some bad gas in my old boat and it cost me a valve job. they had to pull the motor to do it. Cost me $3000.00
this was my very real experience.
Now, I always run my tanks almost empty at the end of the season.

ryantparks
04-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I think that I will go the octane boost suggestion.
I thought that leaving your tanks empty at the end of the season can lead to condensation buildup in the tanks thats why I have filled them to the top?

mickeyfinn
04-10-2005, 02:28 PM
drain it, i ran some bad gas in my old boat and it cost me a valve job. they had to pull the motor to do it. Cost me $3000.00
this was my very real experience.
Now, I always run my tanks almost empty at the end of the season.
That is probably the worst thing you could do. Empty tank will condensate and when you fill them you will have water in the gas. If it is going to sit fill completely with premium, add stabilizer and you are good to go. Or fill with avgas as was mentioned above.

Forkin' Crazy
04-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I can hear my shit pinging... :cool:
When in doubt, pump it out.......into the tow pig! :D

surfer2001
04-10-2005, 04:34 PM
That is probably the worst thing you could do. Empty tank will condensate and when you fill them you will have water in the gas. If it is going to sit fill completely with premium, add stabilizer and you are good to go. Or fill with avgas as was mentioned above.
"Almost" means 1/4 tank = 5 gal.
Also my boat sits max. 5 weeks. I always make winter trips to havasu just to run the boat. My old boat had the bad gas in it when i purchased it. it had a 454 MAG with only 130 hrs. I thought low hrs = no problems. motors need to be run. I think sitting can cause more damage.

mickeyfinn
04-10-2005, 05:39 PM
"Almost" means 1/4 tank = 5 gal.
Also my boat sits max. 5 weeks. I always make winter trips to havasu just to run the boat. My old boat had the bad gas in it when i purchased it. it had a 454 MAG with only 130 hrs. I thought low hrs = no problems. motors need to be run. I think sitting can cause more damage.
Do what works for you and you feel comfortable with. I don't think anyone here would argue that 5 weeks is not long to let a boat sit, but if you don't run all your gas out the gas is sitting in the tank longer than that. If you are only sitting on a 1/4 tank of fuel condensation can still get into the tank. Less gas equals more water per gallon. It is your boat, do what makes you comfortable, but I think you would be better off even on your schedule to keep tanks full and run stabilizer during the winter months. Just running the boat for a while doesn't freshen the gas unless you run all of it out and top it off on the way home.

Jrocket
04-10-2005, 05:48 PM
How bad is my gas?
Not bad,cant smell anything from here? :eek:

77charger
04-10-2005, 05:52 PM
MIne has sat since oct i wont go out til mem wknd and i aint worried about it.i have about 1/2 tank in each tank(18 gallon tanks)
If you think its bad then pull your boat along side mine i have an electric pump to siphon out and transfer to my tanks :) :)