PDA

View Full Version : Lake Levels

burtandnancy
04-10-2005, 08:47 AM
For you that don't watch the official NPS lake reports, here is the good/bad news: Lake Mead up another 2 feet to minus 81, Lake Powell down another 2 feet to minus 144. We need that spring thaw (or a heck of a lot more rain).

Mardonzi
04-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Yesterday was supposed to be the last day of the 14,000 cfs releases for the Chub experimental fuc*tuated flows. Starting today they are supposed to be around 8,000 cfs. By the end of this week, you should start to see the level coming back up if the BOR does what they said they were going to do.
On a different note, the B.O.R. (Bureau of Reclaimation) is stating in today's AZ Daily Sun that the San Juan and Delores River Drainages are still 141% of normal snow pack. This is before the storms they got over this weekend..
Bring it ON!!!

AzLakeLizard
04-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Send us the runoff! :wink:

TheLurker
04-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the update Burt and Mardonzi. I've been thinking about a summer trip to Powell.
Mardonzi I think you stated it correctly. Those fuc*tuated flows sure did Fuc* up the Chub.

dirty old man
04-11-2005, 07:26 AM
I noticed over the week-end that Lake Deloras (Barstow) is overflowing

pixrthis
04-11-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the updates.
What's the best way to do Powell if you haven't planned ahead and rented a houseboat?

Mardonzi
04-11-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the updates.
What's the best way to do Powell if you haven't planned ahead and rented a houseboat?
What time of year are you looking at?
There are still houseboats availible through lakepowell.com. The rates decrease drastically after Aug 16th and then again in Oct. September is a great time of year to visit. The water temps are still in the upper 70's- low 80's and the air temps are still in the 90's.
Take a look at the online layouts and see what works best for you. Alot of people will go overboard on the houseboat and get the top end models, then only eat and sleep in it. Get the minimum boat for your needs. Most people just park them on the beach and then sight see with their own smaller boats.
When you talk to reservations (call them, don't deal with the online form) specifically ask them for the deals and specials. There are usually a couple of them that aren't advertised. Also, if there is a shortage of boats for the period that you want to visit, then ask them about boats that are held in reserve or having one transferred from another marina.
One last item to consider is the Aug 4-8th unofficial "get-together" up there. Quite a few ppl from here and from LVHB will be tearing it up out on the lake that weekend...

Havasu_Dreamin
04-11-2005, 11:18 AM
Hopefully the recent blizzard that shut in Denver will aid in the lakel level recovery.

Mardonzi
04-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately, we don't get the snow from the Denver area, we just get what hits on the west slope of the Divide. The good news is that the storm that pushed into Denver dropped quite a bit of wet snow in this area on Friday and Saturday. Almost 2 ft of wet snow at Telluride.

AzLakeLizard
04-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Unfortunately, we don't get the snow from the Denver area, we just get what hits on the west slope of the Divide. The good news is that the storm that pushed into Denver dropped quite a bit of wet snow in this area on Friday and Saturday. Almost 2 ft of wet snow at Telluride.
Lets "Turn up the Heat"!

pixrthis
04-12-2005, 10:43 AM
What time of year are you looking at?
There are still houseboats availible through lakepowell.com. The rates decrease drastically after Aug 16th and then again in Oct. September is a great time of year to visit. The water temps are still in the upper 70's- low 80's and the air temps are still in the 90's.
Take a look at the online layouts and see what works best for you. Alot of people will go overboard on the houseboat and get the top end models, then only eat and sleep in it. Get the minimum boat for your needs. Most people just park them on the beach and then sight see with their own smaller boats.
When you talk to reservations (call them, don't deal with the online form) specifically ask them for the deals and specials. There are usually a couple of them that aren't advertised. Also, if there is a shortage of boats for the period that you want to visit, then ask them about boats that are held in reserve or having one transferred from another marina.
One last item to consider is the Aug 4-8th unofficial "get-together" up there. Quite a few ppl from here and from LVHB will be tearing it up out on the lake that weekend...
Thanks for the info. I will have time to go in July although I'd like to push to weekend you guys are gathering.
I caught a news story on ABC this morning that showed whats happening there from the enviroMENTALists point of view. I wish they would give both sides the oppurtunity to present their side. We might need to unite to help protect the lake.

Sleek-Jet
04-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Yesterday was supposed to be the last day of the 14,000 cfs releases for the Chub experimental fuc*tuated flows. Starting today they are supposed to be around 8,000 cfs. By the end of this week, you should start to see the level coming back up if the BOR does what they said they were going to do.
On a different note, the B.O.R. (Bureau of Reclaimation) is stating in today's AZ Daily Sun that the San Juan and Delores River Drainages are still 141% of normal snow pack. This is before the storms they got over this weekend..
Bring it ON!!!
OK, now for the extra credit question; Can any one tell me where the Dolores river drainage is located??? :D

AzLakeLizard
04-12-2005, 12:05 PM
OK, now for the extra credit question; Can any one tell me where the Dolores river drainage is located??? :D
Upper Colorado River Basin... Dolores/ San Miguel
Lizard Head
Red Mountain Pass
Mineral Creek
Mancos
Lone Cone
Scotch Creek
(ok.. so I cheated...lol) :p

Sleek-Jet
04-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Upper Colorado River Basin... Dolores/ San Miguel
Lizard Head
Red Mountain Pass
Mineral Creek
Mancos
Lone Cone
Scotch Creek
(ok.. so I cheated...lol) :p
Partial credit then... :D
Sleek "Grew up in Dolores" Jet

AzLakeLizard
04-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Partial credit then... :D
Sleek "Grew up in Dolores" Jet
Well then! I will take partial credit over None at all!
Atleast I went and took a look! lol :rollside: