PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question...........

Rod-64
04-11-2005, 12:57 PM
When are you supposed to change the little battery in the computer?
Are there any signs before it goes, or does it just shut down?
Thanks.

rvrhlic
04-11-2005, 01:10 PM
the little battery on the motherboard is really for the system clcok. You really don't have to change it for years. I have some baxes that are 6+ years old with the original battery in them.

mickeyfinn
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
usually if the cmos battery dies you will get a "disk not found" error when turning on your computer. Or it may say Hard disk fail. The BIOS is where you tell the computer what kind of hardware you have including the hard drive. If you lose this battery you will usually lose sight of your hard drive so the computer doesn't see the operating system files it needs to boot up. Once the battery dies if you need to use it before you replace the battery you can usually get into the bios by pressing the delete key or F1 to enter the bios. On most system now days you can go to the IDE setup and just select auto and it will find it. Some systems may auto recognize the hard drive and boot normally and give a ram error or just resets of system clock. You won't lose any data because of this so don't bother unless you are having problems.

SoCal_fun
04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Whats up Rod, just takin the opp. to say Hi!! You gonna be there at the end o the month for the poker run?? :)

Rod-64
04-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the info everyone!!
Hey Larry..............!
Don't know nothin' 'bout nothin'!
I've been sick since good friday with pnemonia and I'm about 90% cured..........now tomorrow I'll start back to work and try to get strength back. My legs are weak from sleepinf for 2 weeks on the couch.
Howz the family???????????
At least last week I got the boat in the shop for the annual so at least there's that.