PDA

View Full Version : Can a Cat handle waves from other boats?

Fashun
04-11-2005, 04:04 PM
I was driving my brothers 28 daytona when we hit some side waves from other boaters, should I come off the throttle or just let it run. It seemed that the boat walked a little and I didnt know if it's dangerous or not. I watch the Guys with vee's go through them and not come off the throttle. When driving the boat into a head wind it handle great, but I have questions reguarding the side rollers. Thanks

Three Days Only
04-11-2005, 06:02 PM
I was driving my brothers 28 daytona when we hit some side waves from other boaters, should I come off the throttle or just let it run. It seemed that the boat walked a little and I didnt know if it's dangerous or not. I watch the Guys with vee's go through them and not come off the throttle. When driving the boat into a head wind it handle great, but I have questions reguarding the side rollers. Thanks
Turn into them and push through with the throttles, just dont have the boat trimmed up to high. You want it running pretty flat!!!
my .02
Jeff

Fashun
04-12-2005, 06:33 AM
Should you come of the throttles. I thought the boat rocking side to side was a little scary but they were not the biggest waves though. I know to turn in the rollers but sometimes you just cant.

phebus
04-12-2005, 07:01 AM
I don't have a fast cat, but I got used to the side to side motion when you catch some rollers from the side, and just power right through it. No problems. If you boat on Havasu, if you pointed up for the side rollers, you would end up just going in circles with all the boat traffic.

Fashun
04-12-2005, 07:20 AM
are you safe hitting rollers at 70-90mph. We did that and it didnt feel that safe, but im not use to that rocking feeling. My concern is more of a saftey issue. What should i be concerned with..

phebus
04-12-2005, 07:32 AM
are you safe hitting rollers at 70-90mph. We did that and it didnt feel that safe, but im not use to that rocking feeling. My concern is more of a saftey issue. What should i be concerned with..
For my boat the question would be, do I fell safe at 60-65mph, and the question would be yes. It is an uneasy feeling, but one I have gotten used to. Now, if it was some big rollers (like the ones off the cattle boats), I would point up into them, but the basic rollers, I just stay on the throttle, let the boat walk through them and keep going. You just need to get a feel for the boat, and how it reacts to different conditions. It was baby steps for me until I got used to how my boat reacted to them.

Fashun
04-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the info. When i hit the rollers we were going pretty fast and my borthers wife gave me the death look. But his kids said that i rocked the way i drove the boat. The rollers we hit are never that big, but when the boat started to rock I just wasnt sure. Thanks for the input.

prosthogod
04-12-2005, 07:48 AM
First rule would "be safe". Get more seat time before you attack rollers at 90mph. There are lots of times that you will be able to go fast. Trim it down a bit and power through them. Just my .02.

Three Days Only
04-12-2005, 07:57 AM
When im going up or down river and there is boat traffic coming from the opposite direction, I always turn into the wake slighly and push through them. Hitting the rollers directly from the side your going to feel the spoonsons lift as they travel up and down over the wake. I would say that if your uncomfortable slow down until you get more familiar with the boat and the conditions your running in. Once you get more time behind the wheel of the boat and are comfortable with her then start driving her harder.
My .02, and I aint no Johnny Thomlinson, so my opinion is just that, a shitty opinon

jackpunx
04-12-2005, 08:10 AM
When im going up or down river and there is boat traffic coming from the opposite direction, I always turn into the wake slighly and push through them. Hitting the rollers directly from the side your going to feel the spoonsons lift as they travel up and down over the wake. I would say that if your uncomfortable slow down until you get more familiar with the boat and the conditions your running in. Once you get more time behind the wheel of the boat and are comfortable with her then start driving her harder.
My .02, and I aint no Johnny Thomlinson, so my opinion is just that, a shitty opinon
Well said ;) If you cant 1/4 the wake's .. slow down.. if you spend to much time with that wake between your sponsons.. it will catch and spin you around if your not carfull..
Seat time will solve your issues.. although asking questions is the best thing you can do.. just think baby steps..

Three Days Only
04-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Well said ;) If you cant 1/4 the wake's .. slow down.. if you spend to much time with that wake between your sponsons.. it will catch and spin you around if your not carfull..
Seat time will solve your issues.. although asking questions is the best thing you can do.. just think baby steps..
Except asking questions in here doesnt always get the right answer................Remember we are just a bunch of idiots that post on ***boat. LOL :)

jackpunx
04-12-2005, 08:14 AM
Except asking questions in here doesnt always get the right answer................Remember we are just a bunch of idiots that post on ***boat. LOL :)
You say what you want buddy.. but I know your story.. You just need a hug every now and then.. :eek:

RiverDave
04-12-2005, 09:35 AM
My 1st question is why are you driving a boat at 90 mph with kids in it if your obviously clueless as to what it's going to do in awkward situations? Go get some serious time in the boat, about the time you can back the thing through the channel on a holliday weekend blindfolded is about the time you should feel comfortable having a multitude of passengers in a boat running 90+..
Not to be a dick, but you really oughta slow your roll a bit and go out a few times with somebody that really knows what their doing? Questions on the internet about driving really aren't going to answer as much as it is if someone just shows you in the boat.
RD

Fashun
04-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Its not about time driving the boat, its about how they handle the rollers from the side. This is the biggest cat that i have driven but not the fastest. With the bigger boats they seem to rock a little more than some of the smaller cats because of the weight of the boat. Not a newbie when it comes to driving a cat at all. But thanks for being concern about the kids though.Its all about safe boating.

Three Days Only
04-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Its not about time driving the boat, its about how they handle the rollers from the side. This is the biggest cat that i have driven but not the fastest. With the bigger boats they seem to rock a little more than some of the smaller cats because of the weight of the boat. Not a newbie when it comes to driving a cat at all. But thanks for being concern about the kids though.Its all about safe boating.
Mine doesnt roll much and its 36' long 10'2" wide. They must have been some decent size rollers. I always turn into the wakes trim down alittle and throttle up pushing through. Most of the time you dont even know you went over anything.
Maybe you were trimmed up to much and the boat wasnt riding that flat causing the nose to lift and move around more then usual.

jackpunx
04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
My 1st question is why are you driving a boat at 90 mph with kids in it if your obviously clueless as to what it's going to do in awkward situations? Go get some serious time in the boat, about the time you can back the thing through the channel on a holliday weekend blindfolded is about the time you should feel comfortable having a multitude of passengers in a boat running 90+..
Not to be a dick, but you really oughta slow your roll a bit and go out a few times with somebody that really knows what their doing? Questions on the internet about driving really aren't going to answer as much as it is if someone just shows you in the boat.
RD
Dave needs a hug too..
3d0 ... You give it to him... this will be cute :wink:

Havasu Hangin'
04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
I'll make some waves for you guys...no problem!
Remember we are just a bunch of idiots that post on ***boat. LOL :)
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//biglaugh.gif

Three Days Only
04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
I'll make some waves for you guys...no problem!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//biglaugh.gif
Remember we are just a bunch of idiots that post on ***boat. LOL
Your included in that statement Mr. HH

Dave C
04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
It must be because of all the "extra weight" in the boat.
Since those east coasters are paperchips anyway that only leaves the weight of the passengers. ;)
Mine doesnt roll much and its 36' long 10'2" wide.

Havasu Hangin'
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Your included in that statement Mr. HH
Yes...I too am an idiot. :idea:
Admitting you're an idiot is the first step toward recovery from idiotism.
:D

Three Days Only
04-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Yes...I too am an idiot. :idea:
Admitting you're an idiot is the first step toward recovery from idiotism.
Admitting that your an idiot is just coming to the reality that your not a dick, but an idiot!!! Try the 12 steps, it helped me!!

jackpunx
04-12-2005, 01:48 PM
the 13th is the best one

Three Days Only
04-12-2005, 01:50 PM
the 13th is the best one
You mean have another drink!!

Havasu Hangin'
04-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Do you guys remember the time we were riding with "John Tomlinson" and the damn ass end of the cat came up (at about 80MPH)...then the boat started dancing back and forth on the front of the sponsons? :squiggle:
I think that's what knocked the damn blower belts off! :supp:
All I remember was seeing "sky...water...sky....water...sky....water" and thinking to myself, "why does this little guy sitting next to me have his hand on my leg?" :hammerhea
Step # 2- look for support among other "internet idiots"

andy01
04-13-2005, 06:30 AM
Do you guys remember the time we were riding with "John Tomlinson" and the damn ass end of the cat came up (at about 80MPH)...then the boat started dancing back and forth on the front of the sponsons? :squiggle:
All I remember was seeing "sky...water...sky....water...sky....water" and thinking to myself, "why does this little guy sitting next to me have his hand on my leg?" :hammerhea
Step # 2- look for support among other "internet idiots"
HH I believe the guy you were riding with was "Johnny Tunneltab"................
By the way in regards to the rollers, follow TDO's advice a little angle can go a long way..............
Andy

Charley
04-13-2005, 07:11 AM
All I remember was seeing "sky...water...sky....water...sky....water" and thinking to myself, "why does this little guy sitting next to me have his hand on my leg?"
Maybe that Little guy was looking for the Infamous east coast, we put em anywhere, backseat throttles sticks.... I remember at one point I thought I actually found one but when I pushed on it, it didn't seem to make the noise of 2 Teague 800's, more like the sound of a single love starved doberman :(

Three Days Only
04-13-2005, 08:27 AM
I seem to think we were going alot faster. If we were only going 80, we would have been back there with Mr. Unleashed. I just remember being extremely high in the air with the front end coming down left sponson first hooking the boat to the right with my chest pushed up against the steering wheel watching and thinking - OOOH Crap, This is going to be bad!!!!
In the end: No harm, No foul, right!!!
Then you said: "3DO Airlines, you know how to fly it, but you really need to work on your landings!!" LOL

jackpunx
04-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Yea.. I seem to remember somthing like this :hammerhea