PDA

View Full Version : Headers

jstwkd
02-13-2002, 06:59 PM
Whats the diff between rewarder and bassit headers wich is the better brand?

greg shoemaker
02-14-2002, 08:10 PM
Quality is the same and you can't tell the difference without looking at the tag. Price is the same and the only difference is who has them in stock. Greg

ULTRA28
02-14-2002, 08:17 PM
I agree with Greg, both headers are equal,but the tee-valve that Bassett makes is superior. We've had problems with the Rewarder vavle in the past. Glad to see you're still here Greg.
[This message has been edited by ULTRA28 (edited February 14, 2002).]

Q-ball
02-14-2002, 08:41 PM
Hey ULTRA28, I just bought a used set of rewarders, what problems should I watch for with the T-valve??

squirts
02-14-2002, 09:02 PM
I have a set of Rewarders thru transon headers,but I use Bassets T valve. I feel that the Basset T is a better built valve and has a much stronger spring than the Rewarder.

77charger
02-14-2002, 09:06 PM
my cousin and i both have bbfs and i have bassets he has rewarders as for overall appearance they look identical.both are twisties.

HBjet
02-14-2002, 10:59 PM
Bassett Twisties and T-valve, never had a problem. (Knock on Wood)
Greg, glad to see you back.
You too ULTRA28
HBjet

Blown Sleek
02-15-2002, 01:58 AM
Greg glad to see ya to.
I replied to you'r mail just minutes after you sent it.(I think) You have my #'s
hope to talk to ya soon.

okie dave
02-15-2002, 09:20 AM
bassets are superior. my rewarders had chrome peeling right out of the box. also, bolt holes don't line up very well. also, one side is wider than the other. they offered to re-chrome but it was the middle of the boating season and i'd have to ship them back to ca. just an experience three years ago.

Banshee
02-15-2002, 03:38 PM
I was just wondering if it's possible or even practical to re-chrome headers when they start to look ragged. I have a set of 10 Y/O Bassett’s that are in need of some loving attention- or maybe a deep quarry. If re-chroming is the way to go please respond back with a reputable shop, preferably, but not necessarily on the east coast as I’m from Pennsylvania. Thanks!

Wet Dream
02-16-2002, 06:18 AM
Banshee, I was thinking of having mine done too. I know there is a place in CT that I pass by on a regular basis, but the name escapes me right now. They are right off of I-95 and of course they have a picture of chrome headers painted on the building. Cool coatings or something like that. I'll think of it. Where do you run? I see you are in Allentown and I am up here near Clarion. Hope to see you at Anna.

Banshee
02-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Hello, I have some property along the New Jersey side of the Delaware river where I keep my boat in the summer. Not much water there but the low water capability of a jet really helps. Where do you run you rig? Thanks for the tip on headers. Feel free to email me directly if you wish.

RR1/ 001
02-16-2002, 07:35 PM
I removed this post because what I said about Basset just wasn`t very nice,.True but not nice.
[This message has been edited by RR1/ 001 (edited February 17, 2002).]

HBjet
02-17-2002, 08:14 PM
Paul Bassett has been nothing but great to me and anyone else I talk to. I had a pair of old Bassett headers re-chromed and the chrome job was terrible. 3 runs later it started to bubble and peal. I called Paul and he said he could re-chrome them for me, but re-chrome is never as good as the first time. He also suggested I get them Jet Coated, but I didn't want that. What was really cool is I was talking to him about this on a friday before going to the river and he only had one set of twisties left until Monday. He was going to be closing and said if I could make it there in 1 hour he would wait. Well, Newport isn't that far from Anaheim, but at 5pm, traffic isn't the greatest. Sure enough, he was there waiting for me. Just my .02
HBjet

cyclone
02-18-2002, 04:58 PM
Rechroming is expensive, sometimes double what the original chrome job costs. I know this from personal experience. I never had had a problem with my rewarder headers but I routinely replaced the spring inside of the "T" not becuase it was inferior, but because its cheap insurance against having any problems. The only difference between the Rewarder and Bassett headers I've seen is the sound.

PC Rat
02-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Is anyone familiar with the coating done by this company? http://www.capsbhc.com/coating1.htm
They claim a "chrome like" finish - but don't they all.

Banshee
02-20-2002, 06:21 PM
Very interesting. I may ask them if they can send me a free sample of something they coated. Any old piece of metal they might have laying around. I noticed that there site mentions that the coating won't chip peel crack etc. but doesn't say anything about rusting.

nos114
02-23-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by jstwkd:
Whats the diff between rewarder and bassit headers wich is the better brand?
if you call ron bassett in calif,(bassett headers)and tell him what kind you want,ask him if he has any seconds,their may be a little flaw some where on them,but you can save over a 100.00 by buying them.

nos114
02-23-2002, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by RR1/ 001:
I removed this post because what I said about Basset just wasn`t very nice,.True but not nice.
[This message has been edited by RR1/ 001 (edited February 17, 2002).]
RR1 leads me to belive your a 12 sec,boat? who do you run with?

RR1/ 001
02-23-2002, 07:19 PM
NOS114 I run with you ...lol...I`ll give you a hint the first time you saw the boat you looked it over and said::: Dam thats a lot of motor to run in the RR Class..lol..You know who I am.

Fired Up
02-23-2002, 07:25 PM
I'm looking at two sets of headers (bassets) right now. One is a race set that is shorter and the other set is longer that appear upswept. I'm looking at photos so trying to decide is tough. My BBC is set to run max 6500 rpm's at 500-600hp. For competition use only are the gains of the shorter set much different over the longer ones. The tube diameter I am told is 2".

foolish pleasure
02-24-2002, 09:24 AM
RRI,i think it was in bryan, yes?

PC Rat
02-25-2002, 07:48 PM
Banshee,
This site http://www.speeddirect.com/Products/Coatings/coatings.html sells the Cermakrome product for $19.95 that Caps coats headers with. For the price that they charge, you may be able to buy the equipment to do it yourself.

Banshee
02-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the info PC Rat. I checked out the link you provided and I agree that it's the same stuff that Caps uses. I believe that it would take several of those small cans to do a set of headers though. A shop that my company owns which is nearby the shop that I work at has an oven large enough to do the curing process on a set of headers for me. I'll have to check into it a little but farther. Maybe I'll buy one can and try in on something else besides my headers at first. If I do give it a try I'll be sure to post results here. Thanks again

RR1/ 001
03-08-2002, 09:01 PM
foolish pleasure, No at Waco last year!