PDA

View Full Version : Help Bow eye repair

Sanger76VA
04-11-2005, 06:25 PM
I need help. My bow eye is loose and needs reworking. I see only two options
1. Bow is filled with floatation, cut hole through six and half feet of floatation (which I can not fit through the access hole) and try to find small person to do the work?
2. Cut small 2'' hole or smaller on top of deck over the bow eye (which is only inches away from top of deck) and put a access plate to fill the hole in case I need to have access again?Would cuting a small hole weaken the deck any?
If anyone has had the same problem or has a better way of repairing this please let me know. Thanks!! :confused:
I am working on a Sanger Bubble Deck

Morg
04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I broke a bow eye on my old 76 Hondo T deck.
The boat had real nice paint, I did not want to dril the deck.
I removed the steering cables, opened up the kick plate as much as I dared & removed the seats.
After a few different methods, The best way I found was using the largest boring drill I could find & started drilling into the foam. This was in the middle of summer & I did not have a garage to work in. It got real hot under the deck. A shop vac helped to suck in fresh air & suck out the drilled foam. It took hours & yes it really sucked. Essentially I finnaly got a tunnel to the bow eye. I could dive under the deck with both arms above my head, tools & the new nuts in hand. I could just wedge my self in their far enough to get to the bow eye.

sanger rat
04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
You could cut out for a pop up bow light. I'm sure you could get to it then. http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1937pic0jh1.jpg

ColeTR1
04-11-2005, 09:18 PM
I got a four year old to fix mine. I made a little game of it with him. Outside the boat I had him put the bolts off and on the bow eye ten times. And then told him he was to small to go under and couldn't do it!! That really made him want to go into the bow. :) The eye I have has jam nuts on the outside so all he had to do was spin them down hand tight.

04-12-2005, 09:05 AM
I sent my wife under the bow...she is alot smaller than I am but she did get hung up with her tits in the way. :D

Sanger76VA
04-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Sanger Rat, Does the pop up light require an internal drain?
Morg, Did you replace the foam you cut out?

sanger rat
04-12-2005, 06:02 PM
I don't have one, but I'm getting one from Eddie Marine. Drain kit is part number acc-102k

Sanger76VA
04-12-2005, 06:53 PM
Thanks!!