PDA

View Full Version : K & N Marine Air Filters

bocco
04-12-2005, 08:29 AM
It looks like the K & N marine air filters are the same as the automotive ones except for being stainless. Are they legal as a flame arrestor? Looks like the cotton would just burn.
Gary

SoggyJet
04-12-2005, 10:01 AM
Yes they are legal, they have the USCG number stamped in them indicating that K&N tested them and they passed. I have one that I am going to use on my jet boat project. (if I ever get it finished).
If you want to look at the regs try this site:
USCG Boat building Regs (http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/index.htm)
Doug McCoy

BowTie Rick
04-15-2005, 10:46 AM
It looks like the K & N marine air filters are the same as the automotive ones except for being stainless. Are they legal as a flame arrestor? Looks like the cotton would just burn.
Gary
That is the only difference, stainless, and the fact that they have been tested and passed. The word "flame arrestor" is somewhat mis-leading as it invokes an image of a fire arrestor. All the K&N or metal screen type are supposed to do is keep a backfire contained within the housing and not allow actual fire to escape into the engine bay. Obviously if set ablaze, they will burn but if you are spewing burning fuel out your carb it would light up more than just the cotton media :2purples:

R.A.D.man
04-15-2005, 01:56 PM
I have one in my garage at home. I think it is 3-inch tall and 10 or 12 inches in diameter. The code on the filter is not USCG, it is something different, it does say marine I believe, but the code means nothing to a normal person. I called K&N to inquire, they said it means it means the same thing as the typical USCG approval. My concern was that the water po po would not know this information. I still used it til I figured out the CFM it flowed was too small. So I did the math and figured I needed a 6 or 7 inch tall filter on a big block, hard to recall. I bought that from the auto parts store, you cannot just buy the marine filter element only. All filter characteristics were the same but the marine code was not on the new one. I think it worked well, but I took it off, I felt it looked like a car filter on a boat, now I run a Dooley Scoop. Before you buy one, do the CFM math to make sure you buy a tall enough filter for your engine. If you want, you can have mine for cheap. I will verify the code info I have only stated from memory and clear this up on Monday.

BowTie Rick
04-15-2005, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=R.A.D.man]I have one in my garage at home. I think it is 3-inch tall and 10 or 12 inches in diameter. The code on the filter is not USCG, it is something different, it does say marine I believe, but the code means nothing to a normal person. I called K&N to inquire, they said it means it means the same thing as the typical USCG approval. QUOTE]
Actually, what is currently required are the name of the manufacturer, the word "marine" and the test performed on them. Yours should say "K&N Marine SAE J1928" on them. If anyone here ever gets hassled by the po-po, send me a PM. I have the .pdf file of Coast Guard Requirements for flame arrestors and they are 100% in compliance. The Coast Guard does not actually test or approve anything so the words "USCG Approved" mean nothing. What they do is set standards which are then tested and implemented by outside agencies such as SAE.

R.A.D.man
04-15-2005, 04:24 PM
Actually, what is currently required are the name of the manufacturer, the word "marine" and the test performed on them. Yours should say "K&N Marine SAE J1928" on them. If anyone here ever gets hassled by the po-po, send me a PM. I have the .pdf file of Coast Guard Requirements for flame arrestors and they are 100% in compliance. The Coast Guard does not actually test or approve anything so the words "USCG Approved" mean nothing. What they do is set standards which are then tested and implemented by outside agencies such as SAE.[/QUOTE]
Look at the brain on this one. That is exactly what it says. Thanks.