PDA

View Full Version : teague motor update

boatnam2
04-12-2005, 10:34 AM
well as far as i understand it at one time i probaly overheated my motor which has all kinds of bells and whistles so you dont do that.probaly when it happened it screwed up the valve seat which let lose after sitting for a year and only being ran in ice cold water for a few hours this year where it wouldnt even register on the temp gauge. metal went into the mainifold which went into all the cyclinders.so basically machine work,new pistons, new heads,new valves,gaskets and labor all total about 8k in damage pretty steep for overheating i must say myself.

Charley
04-12-2005, 11:15 AM
:( that sux :(

mbrown2
04-12-2005, 12:55 PM
Really sorry to hear about that Jim.....that sux...how many hours were on the motor? This is the 509/620 right?

jackpunx
04-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Jim,
the best part is now you know..
Good to see you guys this weekend

Dave C
04-12-2005, 01:17 PM
so did the valve seat let go first? Do you have aluminum heads?
sometimes valve seats let go as a result of manufacturer or installation defect on the valve seat. Been known to happen that way. Nothing you can do about it.
Do you care to divulge the name of the manufacturer of the heads? (Dart?)
sorry to hear, that f-ing sucks!!!

boatnam2
04-12-2005, 01:21 PM
they are merlin steel pretty sure they are 345's.i had a pair on my blower deal blew it up three times, got it so hot one time it blued the cyclinders and never had a head problem.509/620

Dave C
04-12-2005, 01:46 PM
That mostly happens with aluminum because the head is aluminum and seat is steel. (i.e. expand at different rates) kablamoo!! :supp:
I am not sure but do Merlins use press in seats?
At any rate this still sucks!

andy01
04-13-2005, 06:24 AM
Time to go BIGGER! Make that 620 a 820! Who's working on it Skinny?
Andy

boatnam2
04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
well i finally got the numbers from teague custom marine.parts and labor 9k plus the 2k for the motor removal and install looks to be about 11k total give or take a few hundred dollars.my ass is sore and all because of a shitty head.world products and there merlin heads can succ my dicck!

phebus
04-18-2005, 11:50 AM
In the new Powerboat magazine, Bob Teague talks about iron heads dropping valve seats due to gasoline with methanol or oxygenated fuel resulting in higher combustion temperatures. He says that could result in exhaust seats to loosen or fail.
Did you ever find out the source of your failure? This is an interesting theory.

Dave C
04-18-2005, 01:20 PM
that may be but I have heard of an over-abundance of Merlins failing. :mad:

mbrown2
04-18-2005, 01:27 PM
SUX....I just hate hearing news like this....I love speed as much as the next guy, but when you hear about 11K rebuilds for 620 HP NA motor with less than a 100hrs on it, it just makes me want to go with a 525 or less in my next inboard powered boat.......that is just terrible....Hopefully these viper motors will prove as reliable as the Mercs, cause this custom motor crap gets real tired real quick when $hit breaks...

riverliver
04-18-2005, 02:15 PM
I hate breaking shit, It seems every time you break something it cost 5 to 10k to fix it :(

missboatnam1
04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
that is what i thought mbrown, reason i bought the non blower motor was reliablity and longevity. we got the new boat i knew i was taking a chance but i thought to myself it is a 600hp big block built my teague custom marine it is not going to break at 100 hours.boy i hate being wrong!

Beer-30
04-18-2005, 03:54 PM
IMO, everything with AL heads should be closed cooling. I don't know if it would permanently prevent a seat from wiggling loose, but the stable temp sure wouldn't hurt it. Slow temp rise, stable at play, slow temp drop after shutdown.

Dave C
04-18-2005, 04:05 PM
I agree with beer-30... both about the motor/closed cooling and having beer-30. ;)

Beer-30
04-18-2005, 04:12 PM
I agree with beer-30... both about the motor/closed cooling and having beer-30. ;)
Amen ;)

andy01
04-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Damn Skinny! And you got all over my shit for running my boat hard! Hell at least my motor stayed together. Now that it is at Teague have them bump it up a little. Hell make more compression, who cares about buying race gas you got the money! Or have him put that blower on it so you can try and lay the smack down on the Dirty Thirty when I make my once a year Parker run............. if I go that much. Why not qaud rotor that focker! Come on do something............. what are you getting old? I am tired of hearing your damn AO stories, I want to see you in action. You know laying on the floor of the boat at 100 mph doing circles in front of Road Runner!
Andy

riverliver
04-19-2005, 09:08 AM
Go to work Focker !!!!! :hammer2:

Dave C
04-19-2005, 09:36 AM
damn, now thats a "call-out" :argue:
Damn Skinny! And you got all over my shit for running my boat hard! Hell at least my motor stayed together. Now that it is at Teague have them bump it up a little. Hell make more compression, who cares about buying race gas you got the money! Or have him put that blower on it so you can try and lay the smack down on the Dirty Thirty when I make my once a year Parker run............. if I go that much. Why not qaud rotor that focker! Come on do something............. what are you getting old? I am tired of hearing your damn AO stories, I want to see you in action. You know laying on the floor of the boat at 100 mph doing circles in front of Road Runner!
Andy

missboatnam1
04-19-2005, 11:51 AM
i would love to make it go a little faster dirty thirty but im kinda over a barrel on this one.really dont have the 11k to put it back together so we will see.may have to sit out a year and just sit at foxes all day getting shitty talking shit about other peoples boats.

mbrown2
04-19-2005, 12:46 PM
may have to sit out a year and just sit at foxes all day getting shitty talking shit about other peoples boats.
If you get tired of Foxes (never), You can ride in my boat and still talk shit about other boats that run :D ...

missboatnam1
04-19-2005, 12:50 PM
thanks mb :D i know i can always count on the parker hommies!

flat broke
04-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Duuuude,
11k$ for a "rebuild"? 2k of that is removal and installation. I'll pull the thing and slap it back in for gas$ and beers after whoever dyno's it is done. It's a couple bolts, the drive alignment, fuel and the merc 9pin. Bullshit to say the least. I always hear about how f'n great Teague's service is, but you sure as hell wouldn't know it from this story.
And 11k to rebuild a 620hp deal? F' that. My shittbox 498 put out a lot more beans than 620, on pump gas, and I didn't pay much more than 11k for the whole shootin match, including a full day on the dyno. From what you've said, it sounds like your block, crank, rods, intake, carb, fuel system, exhaust, and ignition are still good. That leaves you with buying a new cam/matching valvetrain, new heads, pistons, bearings, rings, gaskets, machine work and why not throw another dyno run on her just to be safe and sqeeze out the max HP.
Obviously you're not too concerned about maintaining the Teague warranty at this point, so you might want to call around on that price. GT, DNE, Pfaff, the other GT, Peto... Sounds like Teague got into your pockets the first time, found some $$ and is going digging for a little more. Sucks that you're without a boat over a freaking $2 part, but sucks even more that it happened on a "engine package" which one would assume had been tested rigorously before introduction. From your post it doesn't sound like you think it got all that hot? A 620HP 509 doesn't have many "bells and whistles" so unless you absolutely fried that focker, I just don't see it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Teague sell the 620 package with senders and an alarm? If it got hot, you would have had 2 indicators; that anoying buzzer and your gauge. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were over a barrel. Deffinitely call around and shop that repair work. You can buy that freaking crate motor from Scummitt in 540 form, have it "loosened up" by a machine shop and transfer all your stuff over for less than 11k.
Good luck,
Chris

andy01
04-19-2005, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=missboatnam1]i im kinda over a barrel on this one.QUOTE]
I know this is Jim and not Tina right?
That must be one big barrel and this I would love to see.........
Chris is write on a couple of things first ........ 11K is very high. I almost bought a Daytona with a 540 single carb motor in it. It ran nothing wrong with, but never the less if I put the deal together I was going to have GT Performance go through the motor or possibly Dave at DNE. For a whole blower set, pistons and yada yada yada I was looking at 10-12K for a whole entire rebuild and a full blower/carb set up. I would tell Pot Belly Bob to throw your shit back in the bed of that clunker Dodge and take somewhere else.
Don't let Lavey sway you one way or the other either, you are getting Focked and you know it!
Second that motor never over heated, no way. Parker water is cold and that boat never got run that hard, if it did over heat there would have been bells and sirens and all kinds of shit going off on that boat. I don't remember but it was like 7-9 or more sensors that where on my 740 Teague motor. Take it to GT and drop it off, tell them to put it on Fockers bill. He has a rolling account there, that's what I do now for service.
In the defense of removal cost I know that motor is in possible to get too so I can see the cost on that.
Damn Skinny, I told you to buy a bigger twin engine boat with new motors!
Andy

andy01
04-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Oh and I believe I may owe you a ride or two......... Don't worry though my boat won't try and throw you out like yours tried to do to us that Sunday afternoon! :hammer2:

boatnam2
04-19-2005, 03:27 PM
i should of listened to you and got twin 350 mags andy.its not your standard barrel lol.chris you are right on many things you have to say.the bill is 3300 labor 5700 parts.

Three Days Only
04-19-2005, 04:00 PM
well as far as i understand it at one time i probaly overheated my motor which has all kinds of bells and whistles so you dont do that.probaly when it happened it screwed up the valve seat which let lose after sitting for a year and only being ran in ice cold water for a few hours this year where it wouldnt even register on the temp gauge. metal went into the mainifold which went into all the cyclinders.so basically machine work,new pistons, new heads,new valves,gaskets and labor all total about 8k in damage pretty steep for overheating i must say myself.
9K to rebuild the motor might sound alittle steep with new but original parts. What you are putting into your motor is alittle differnt then what you had before. I heard from alittle birdie that theres some Aluminum Brodix BB2 CNC machined ported heads, an expensive killer vavle train, some expensive pistons and a few other things have been spec'd out into your pricing. Basically a brand new motor more or less with alot better parts. 9K doesnt sound that bad considering the cost of the heads and valve train alone. :D
If you want to save some money why dont you talk to them just the heads alone are a chunk of change!!!!

boatnam2
04-19-2005, 04:50 PM
TDO i didnt really hear about what kind of parts they are going to use except the bb 2's and i figured JE pistons.so i know the heads and pistons are 4k by themselves give or take a few hundred bucks.i guess it is the the way it happened or why it happened that is leaving the shitty taste in my mouth.so i was thinking maybe bob would work with me alittle to maybe not get the shitty taste out of my mouth but at least the peanuty tatse that goes with it.bob is out of town until monday so will wait until then.i dont want to put it back together half ass so i plan on putting the good stuff in.thanks for listening to the birdies any little insight i get helps.

Beer-30
04-19-2005, 04:59 PM
Since you are going with the great stuff, did you think about axing their opinion on slapping a closed cooling system on it? Yeah, it would take some re-rigging of the water system and pulleys, but the motor would be much happier! Stable temps (no ice-cold water, hint) equal much more boating time and less shop time. Just curious.

boatnam2
04-19-2005, 05:07 PM
no i didnt ask about the closed system beer30.sounds good though!

Beer-30
04-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Well, it'll be some more $, but for what you are spending, it would be a drop in the bucket. I really think you would make the extra $ back in hours and saved parts. Just a friendly suggestion.

Three Days Only
04-20-2005, 09:26 AM
TDO i didnt really hear about what kind of parts they are going to use except the bb 2's and i figured JE pistons.so i know the heads and pistons are 4k by themselves give or take a few hundred bucks.i guess it is the the way it happened or why it happened that is leaving the shitty taste in my mouth.so i was thinking maybe bob would work with me alittle to maybe not get the shitty taste out of my mouth but at least the peanuty tatse that goes with it.bob is out of town until monday so will wait until then.i dont want to put it back together half ass so i plan on putting the good stuff in.thanks for listening to the birdies any little insight i get helps.
The suckie thing is that shit happens. Anything high performance is going to break, and they do break all the time. I have sand in both of my motors water passages right now. Luckily they caught it before I burned up the motors from overheating. I’m always real careful about shutting the boat off before getting to the beach, but Norm handed me a bag of sand yesterday as a souvenir. The only thing I can think of was two weekends ago launching at crazy horse the water level was lower then usual and the ramp was really shallow!! There was a lot of sand in that bag though!!
I just couldn’t believe that they were screwing you that bad, they are always extremely fair with me. Generally all the guys bitching on the internet (not saying you) are not even customers of the shop. If they have even bought anything it most likely some BS parts from the parts counter. If the pricing seems high to you, I would talk to Bob once he gets back. He has always been extremely fair with me and has taken the time to sit down and give me a complete breakdown on everything being done down to every last bolt, washer, pin, etc..........
Jeffrey Son
PS: The heads alone are a huge junk of your parts, but there are some nice heads!!!

Havasu Hangin'
04-20-2005, 09:35 AM
PS: The heads alone are a huge junk of your parts, but there are some nice heads!!!
Are you calling his new heads "junk"? :idea:

boatnam2
04-20-2005, 09:40 AM
i hear you TDO in my last cat i blew up 3 motors so i know shit does happen.i also had a shit load of sand in my motor according to mario,i dont despute that i try to be careful but sometimes well shit happens.2 years ago mrsb and i were kicking it in parker and it was the powerboat shootout.bob rolls by tina goes to wave to him and her ring fly's off into the water never to be seen again, i figure he was into me for a couple thousand bucks without building anything lol.i hate coming off as a sniveling bitch but somethimes it helps to vent and sometimes it may even help.i did see your ride while i was there very nice. :D

andy01
04-20-2005, 09:56 AM
In my last cat:
Oh no, here we go.............. "My AO....................."
j/k skinny! You on days or nights right now?
Oh and thanks for the Sig. line.............
Andy

boatnam2
04-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Im on the day shift,but i dont have my cell phone with me.i cant believe your going to the poker run and not running!you need me to pilot the dirty thirty with the big boys.if i had my AO ahhhhhhhhhh never mind.

Three Days Only
04-20-2005, 10:19 AM
i hear you TDO in my last cat i blew up 3 motors so i know shit does happen.i also had a shit load of sand in my motor according to mario,i dont despute that i try to be careful but sometimes well shit happens. :D
Where do you normaly launch. Im thinking im getting all the sand from the Crazy Horse lanch ramp. I going to start launching somewhere else. The sand scared me, it would have been an expensive ass bill to rebuild both motors.
Jeff
Closed cooling sounds better and better.

boatnam2
04-20-2005, 10:28 AM
i have my own ramp but i always pull up onto the upper sandbar in parker,i think that is where i get most of mine.i will be more careful from now on for sure.

andy01
04-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Im on the day shift,but i dont have my cell phone with me.i cant believe your going to the poker run and not running!you need me to pilot the dirty thirty with the big boys.if i had my AO ahhhhhhhhhh never mind.
Im not running the poker because I honestly don't have enough seat time in my boat to run it really hard. I know you don't have to but I wanted to run with sticks pinned from the flag drop to the first card stop. I also have to passengers that wouldn't really have that good of a time if I ran all day like that and the third one would yelling in the back seat "your gonna break a drive Focker"....... you know those bravo/Daytona guys.
As for you piloting............ When you come down and slum in big blue in the Spectre sometime ............ then we'll see about that.......... that's reminds me of another AO story. :D
Andy