PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers for jet boats

MAINEVENT
04-12-2005, 03:30 PM
as i read everywhere that people are getting tested do Basset headers with Slip in baffles meet requirements to the CA and AZ laws or Decibal reads :confused: :confused: :confused:
TIA

sidewound
04-12-2005, 03:34 PM
as i read everywhere that people are getting tested do Basset headers with Slip in baffles meet requirements to the CA and AZ laws or Decibal reads :confused: :confused: :confused:
TIA
I think they pass at idle a 100' off the dock ! :D :D :D
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

Hustler
04-12-2005, 03:44 PM
I dont think they will pass. Where do you normally boat?

Squirtcha?
04-12-2005, 03:54 PM
Verrrry doubtful that they'd pass. I'm gonna baffle up this summer, in hopes that some law enforcement officer may let me pass for at least making an effort.
Since they'd kill about 200-300 of my hard earned rpm (consequently speed).........The plan is........I'll pull em out in the afternoon/early evening, for racin. :D

MAINEVENT
04-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I boat in parker lake mohave and out of topock on the river mainly... I usually only use my baffles when my kids are in the boat but this summer i think i am gonna leave them in.... I dont need a ticket :rollside:

Heatseeker
04-12-2005, 05:10 PM
Verrrry doubtful that they'd pass. I'm gonna baffle up this summer, in hopes that some law enforcement officer may let me pass for at least making an effort...
That's what the water sheriff told me at my favorite lake last summer. If I kept them wet and baffled there'd be no problem. I haven't been up yet this year, so I'll have to wait and see if he meant it.

Hustler
04-12-2005, 07:03 PM
I boat in parker lake mohave and out of topock on the river mainly... I usually only use my baffles when my kids are in the boat but this summer i think i am gonna leave them in.... I dont need a ticket :rollside:
out of topock I dont think you will have a problem running with out them but Parker and Mojave I would suspect are going to really enforce it. I know DNE was working on some inserts but I dont know where they ended up on that project. I put a call into him to see so when I here back I will let you know. Bobaloo here on the boards got some from a place that also made inserts but I dont remember the name of them, you might try pm'ing him and see where he got his.

LakesOnly
04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Thank god NorCal doesn't have to deal with this noise ordinance crap.
(yet...)
LO

Floored
04-12-2005, 07:14 PM
I never get bothered with mine but they are the long spiral bassett inserts and part of it is cam size and compression. I'm only 10-1 and just a mile hyd cam. big inches and big cam makes more noise + I have an olds and even the Cops are sympathetic :cry: . I'll be at parker in a couple of weeks and I'm going to look up Boatcop to get checked. Then I'll know for sure :cool:

Squirtin Thunder
04-12-2005, 08:07 PM
So far no problem on the River, Laughlin/Bullhead area !!! And no problems yet at Lake Mohave !!!
But time will tell !!!
Jim
BTW - I haven't even been stopped for my NC tags on the boat !!!

MAINEVENT
04-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Nice thanx guys my first real trip is not until Memorial :( with my rig so i will keep an eye out here to see if anyone has got tested or what not and the outcome thanx everyone for the input :D
Floored- I have a ALL stock 454 w/ a mild cam nothing big nore insane on it and i have the other slip on kind not the spiral one

Foggerjet
04-13-2005, 05:08 AM
Down here, nobody says much about noise. Probly because this style of ***boat (OT) is fairly rare is part of the country. But, I saw a guy at the river a few weeks back who had removed the water from his bassets an cut the long collector off. He then put on those Borla collector muffs on. He said he had to fiddle with the tune up a bit, jetting and timing. But after that he said his performance was very near the same. His boat was by no means quiet. Just a bit quieter than when injected open. In fact it sounded real good. It had a nice bark to it, without the loud rasp. The only thing he did was fab up a support for the muffs so they won't droop from the heat. He also said that folks in the back seat can feel the heat from them, but not too bad. And his headers were indeed BLUE.
fog

MarKist
04-13-2005, 08:41 AM
Down here, nobody says much about noise. Probly because this style of ***boat (OT) is fairly rare is part of the country. But, I saw a guy at the river a few weeks back who had removed the water from his bassets an cut the long collector off. He then put on those Borla collector muffs on. He said he had to fiddle with the tune up a bit, jetting and timing. But after that he said his performance was very near the same. His boat was by no means quiet. Just a bit quieter than when injected open. In fact it sounded real good. It had a nice bark to it, without the loud rasp. The only thing he did was fab up a support for the muffs so they won't droop from the heat. He also said that folks in the back seat can feel the heat from them, but not too bad. And his headers were indeed BLUE.
fog
hey Foggerjet, you might wanna read this!! it's the S.C. LAW :(
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64623
Markist

Danhercules
04-13-2005, 03:02 PM
So far no problem on the River, Laughlin/Bullhead area !!! And no problems yet at Lake Mohave !!!
But time will tell !!!
Jim
BTW - I haven't even been stopped for my NC tags on the boat !!!
Hey ST, I suggest you run the baffels. When I hang out in the cove up from lazy harrys, I was told by the "locals" to not bech my boat and to anchor it so when the PD comes cruisin in they wont look at my header with no baffels. A few of them have been written up.
I run OPEN from Avi down. And down from Big River. Parked and Bull Head I run baffels.

Heatseeker
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Thank god NorCal doesn't have to deal with this noise ordinance crap.
(yet...)
LO
California's law is statewide. I'd bet that at places like Lake Tulloch, Lake Tahoe, Disco Bay, etc.(places with alot of waterfront homes) there'd be problems for smaller headered boats.
If you had a $100K+ boat on Tahoe or Disco you probably wouldn't get hassled though.

572Daytona
04-14-2005, 07:17 AM
I bought some of these off of ebay for my OT Bassetts:
http://www.hpisilencers.com/Graphics/clampon2.gif
The plan was to remove my baffles and clamp them on. Now I'm wondering all that extra weight at the end of the headers is going to cause problems? Would i need some sort of header brace?

NELSON#109
04-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Bassett Is Now Claiming To Have An Insert Solution To The Noise Problem. I Havent Called On It Yet, And Was On Their Web Site The Other Day, But Did Not See Anything. They Just Started Advertising It In Hot Boat This Month. The Ad Doesnt Give Details, Just Says "increadibly Quieter Baffle Mufflers, Tired Of Getting Tickets For Being Too Loud, Our Brand New Muffler Passes The Test And Maintains The Thrill... Call For Details." Ask For Paul 800-345-5824

Squirtcha?
04-14-2005, 02:08 PM
If you find something out, do us a favor and let us know if/when they release em. I wasn't sure what I was gonna run, but I know just about everything out there right now, kills the ponies.

572Daytona
04-14-2005, 04:37 PM
It's my understanding that the insert type muffler/baffles are much more restrictive than the external clamp on type which is why I want to try them instead. If you look at the clampons they still have a 4" opening going through them.

Performance 19
04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
This is the new information requested....
BASSETT MUFFELERS
At the end of next week Bassett will have available a new muffler. This muffeler is not intended for super high performance motors. If you are around 1000 hp, won't pass noise laws. It will pass for stock to mild up to 700 hp motors.
The key is to get the idle around 500-700 RPM. That is what will help you pass.
The cost will be $225.00 per pair. They are 100% stainless steel
if you are interested, call next week and order a set. 800-345-5824

sleekcraft76
04-14-2005, 05:10 PM
i used edelbrock 5540 4"drag race muffler 100% stainless steel .we don't have any noise laws "yet" but they reduce the noise to a deep rumble.http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1512.jpg http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1513.jpg

Performance 19
04-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Bassett Is Now Claiming To Have An Insert Solution To The Noise Problem. I Havent Called On It Yet, And Was On Their Web Site The Other Day, But Did Not See Anything. They Just Started Advertising It In Hot Boat This Month. The Ad Doesnt Give Details, Just Says "increadibly Quieter Baffle Mufflers, Tired Of Getting Tickets For Being Too Loud, Our Brand New Muffler Passes The Test And Maintains The Thrill... Call For Details." Ask For Paul 800-345-5824
Bassett is claiming to have an insert solution? Wow, looked like you were given a phone # to follow up...Bassett is the first and leader. Because of this I guarantee that they are also working hard for solutions to these new noise laws. They have already made a lot of effort with TT pipes, and they are definately not going to forget about us OT guys, that was the orig Bassett wasn't it? Thanks to them for trying to keep us up to date and legal!
BASSETT MUFFELERS
At the end of next week Bassett will have available a new muffler. This muffeler is not intended for super high performance motors. If you are around 1000 hp, won't pass noise laws. It will pass for stock to mild 5000 to 7000 hp motors.
The key is to get the idle around 500-700 RPM. That is what will help you pass.
The cost will be $225.00 per pair. They are 100% stainless steel

572Daytona
04-14-2005, 05:47 PM
[QUOTE=sleekcraft76]i used edelbrock 5540 4"drag race muffler 100% stainless steel .we don't have any noise laws "yet" but they reduce the noise to a deep rumble.[IMG]
I like the look of those sc76, it doesn't look like you have any header bracers so I guess I will be ok with the weight of mine as well. Do you still run water injection with the mufflers?

Jim B.
04-14-2005, 06:12 PM
Check out GGB exhaust technologies. I just bought a set of stainless inserts as well as their clamp on mufflers. This will give me 16" worth of "collector" muffler. With both installed Graham at GGB said I would be J-2005 california compliant, and that's with 800+ hp, no water injection and he garantees hardly any horsepower loss. I've talked to a few others who have tried them out and they are VERY pleased with the results. I will let all of you know how they work on boat as soon as I recieve them.
JiM

MudPumper
04-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Check out GGB exhaust technologies. I just bought a set of stainless inserts as well as their clamp on mufflers. This will give me 16" worth of "collector" muffler. With both installed Graham at GGB said I would be J-2005 california compliant, and that's with 800+ hp, no water injection and he garantees hardly any horsepower loss. I've talked to a few others who have tried them out and they are VERY pleased with the results. I will let all of you know how they work on boat as soon as I recieve them.
JiM\
How much is that set up going for???? Keep us posted once you try them out. :p

moneysucker
04-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Sounds like I will be at basset in the next few weeks. I have not had a problem with noise this season yet. My motor has not been run since thanksgiving but it has been very quiet. :devil:

Mrs CP 19
04-18-2005, 05:05 PM
Bassett update... a friend tried the Bassetts on an engine with about 600 hp...asked le to test and passed. Looks like we're in luck!

Squirtcha?
04-18-2005, 06:07 PM
Bassett update... a friend tried the Bassetts on an engine with about 600 hp...asked le to test and passed. Looks like we're in luck!
That's great, but the big question will be...................how much horsepower did they drain?
Rpm/top speed with no baffles vs. rpm/top speed with the baffles.

MudPumper
04-18-2005, 07:12 PM
That's great, but the big question will be...................how much horsepower did they drain?
Rpm/top speed with no baffles vs. rpm/top speed with the baffles.
This is what I'm wondering too. Can you find out some before and after RPM'S for us MRS CP 19 :smile: . Thanks.

Mrs CP 19
04-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Heard it wasn't too bad, better than the last hi perf's. There will be some actual tests being done, but probably not until next week. Busy time of year...As soon tests are done I will let you know. You know there's going to be a trade off in this unfortunately. We no longer have ot headers, but in the past (over about 4 years) we tried each new muffler and they did get better.
Performance 19 or I will post as soon as there's (good we hope) news!

Cs19
04-18-2005, 09:01 PM
Cops were eye-ballin me in Needles.
Probably didnt help that I was rippin down the river @ 110 mph right before he came by. LOL

Heatseeker
04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
That's great, but the big question will be...................how much horsepower did they drain...
And how much will it cost us to conform to The People's Republic's new law!
:D

Squirtin Thunder
04-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Hey ST, I suggest you run the baffels. When I hang out in the cove up from lazy harrys, I was told by the "locals" to not bech my boat and to anchor it so when the PD comes cruisin in they wont look at my header with no baffels. A few of them have been written up.
I run OPEN from Avi down. And down from Big River. Parked and Bull Head I run baffels.
I always have them in, it just save the ears a bit and the headaches from the cops !!!
Thanks Dan !!!
Jim

Tahiti350
04-19-2005, 06:26 PM
So, with the possability of having to meet a 75dB limit, will the inserts and clamp-on's put a mild 350 chevy under the limit????

Performance 19
04-23-2005, 05:24 PM
So, with the possability of having to meet a 75dB limit, will the inserts and clamp-on's put a mild 350 chevy under the limit????
How are they going to measure? 50 feet away at idle? That is the easiest way to determine if you will be passable or not. If you are curious about the Bassetts, call Paul 714-630-7999, he will be happy to answer your questions. It would definately pass here in Ca. with Bassett mufflers.