PDA

View Full Version : 4 stroke or 2 stroke bikes

HOSS
04-06-2003, 06:34 AM
I`m looking to get a new bike. I`ve always had YZ`s but am now looking at Honda. 4 stroke technology has come a long way. I just don`t know. The weights are really right there on both. I`m stepping up to 250 class. I don`t know about the 4 stroke. Anyone got one yet? This will be my last bike. Hell, I might even stay 125 because I`m not nearly as agressive as I use to be. Gettin` old. Hurts when I collide with the Earth now.

Kindsvater Flat
04-06-2003, 08:51 AM
I gave up on bikes. Recovery time is to long. Go get a 4 wheeler.

HCS
04-06-2003, 10:15 AM
Does a 4 wheeler have the same California retrictions as a off road dirt bike?. Red sticker or green sticker. etc.
On a dirt bike I understand if you want to ride it year round you have to buy a used one that has the old green sticker. All the new bikes are issued with a red sticker that restricts you to riding only in the winter months.

Dog
04-06-2003, 11:17 AM
HARDCORE-SKI:
Does a 4 wheeler have the same California retrictions as a off road dirt bike?. Red sticker or green sticker. etc.
On a dirt bike I understand if you want to ride it year round you have to buy a used one that has the old green sticker. All the new bikes are issued with a red sticker that restricts you to riding only in the winter months. A red sticker or green sticker decides when you can ride? Move out of Kalifornia!!!

HOSS
04-06-2003, 11:34 AM
A friend now has me thinking of a jetski. But I`m leaning to the 4 stroke Honda.

Kindsvater Flat
04-06-2003, 12:22 PM
HOSS:
A friend now has me thinking of a jetski. But I`m leaning to the 4 stroke Honda. If you are going to get a jet ski, get one of these. Rexx Racing (http://www.rexxracing.com)

1Bahnerjet
04-06-2003, 02:25 PM
If you are going to get a jet ski, get one of these. Rexx Racing
------------------
What will they think of next? Makes you wonder, at the NJBA drags they let jet ski run 1/4 mile passes, bone stock jet skis, yes painfully SLOW. Why not let modified jet skis, like maybe one with a small block chev. you know make it fun to watch. Why do they (jet skis) have to be stock the race Boats are not? The Local mud puddle I most often boat at has a jet ski ban Which is fine with me. You try to share the lake with them you never know if they are going to ZIG or ZAG right in front of you! eek!
----------------------
Drive What You Own And Like What You Drive

HCS
04-07-2003, 05:18 AM
Dog:
HARDCORE-SKI:
On a dirt bike I understand if you want to ride it year round you have to buy a used one that has the old green sticker. All the new bikes are issued with a red sticker that restricts you to riding only in the winter months. A red sticker or green sticker decides when you can ride? Move out of Kalifornia!!! California is run by a bunch of dumb asses. New smog restrictions stop you from being able to ride two strokes in the summer months. burningm I'm not sure about the 4 strokes.
[ April 07, 2003, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: HARDCORE-SKI ]

Blown 472
04-07-2003, 05:32 AM
It might be cold here, but at least we dont have any commicrate rules. :D

77charger
04-08-2003, 02:32 PM
I sold my dirtbike 6 years ago due to breakin an arm it was cr 250.I ended up buying a 250r atc just for the dunes but that new honda cr450f has me thinkin of a new dirtbike for the dunes.Otherwords 4 stroke honda!!!!

Morg
04-08-2003, 03:04 PM
I have never owned a 4 stroke. Always 2 strokes, even when I was road racing I ran a TZ250. I have a couple of buddies with 4 strokes & I have riden them. It is simply a different riding style. Hoss, I'm guessing since you are on a 125 now you will probably have to change the style you ride. Less rear brake going into turns & little clutch comming out.
My favorite things about 4 strokes is roosting my buddy's while they try to kick start their bike's :p :p :p
I will never make the switch. I know the 4 strokes have come along way in the past years but I still feel they don't compare.
Morg.

Hal
04-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Buy one of these, You will never look back. CRF450R
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/506/134hals_honda122-med.jpg
[ April 08, 2003, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

HOSS
04-08-2003, 06:15 PM
That`s what I`m lookin at now Hal. Met a guy who had one. He said less maintenance. Also said that the CR250 off the line was neck and neck but after 2nd he was walking away from the 2 stroke.
There`s only a 30 day warranty. So with that in mind there`s a guy on ebay selling crate bikes. I`d save about 600 after shipping.

Hal
04-08-2003, 07:10 PM
Hoss check this out. Looks like the same thing your talking about. Thats a good deal. I paid $7200.00 for mine over a year ago. :( You will love the bike.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/bike/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB29&Number=531062&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1
[ April 08, 2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Jordy
04-08-2003, 07:39 PM
Go with the CR450F. You'll never look back. The suspension is plush, better than what your average, or even above average suspension shop can do, you don't have to mix gas or worry about fouling plugs, and you put it in one gear and leave it. I have a buddy who sold his CR250R that he had for about 2 months after he bought the 450F. He won't go back to the 2-stroke. I've yet to hear a complaint about them. If I rode as much as I should, I'd look into one, but for now my CR-two-fiddy is paid fer and suits my needs. :D

HCS
04-08-2003, 07:44 PM
jordanpaulk:
Go with the CR450F. You'll never look back. The suspension is plush, better than what your average, or even above average suspension shop can do, you don't have to mix gas or worry about fouling plugs, and you put it in one gear and leave it. I have a buddy who sold his CR250R that he had for about 2 months after he bought the 450F. He won't go back to the 2-stroke. I've yet to hear a complaint about them. If I rode as much as I should, I'd look into one, but for now my CR-two-fiddy is paid fer and suits my needs. :D What else do you ride? :D

HOSS
04-08-2003, 07:50 PM
Hal is yours the Euro kit? Thanks for the link. These guys rock. Comes with spare piston ,rings and brakes.

Jordy
04-08-2003, 07:52 PM
I've got my wish list... wink
But for now, it's limited to:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/DSC00331.JPG
and for the sand:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/DSC00338.JPG

Hal
04-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Hoss, No euro kit. I think the bikes that come thru Canada have the extra spare parts, which is great. If you can get it where you can make it street legal do it. Here in Cal you can only get a red sticker on these things. Which means you can only ride on a closed coarse from June thru Aug. No legal off road riding during that period. I have heard of guys getting green stickers but it was just luck. Some of the DMV,s didn't know about the new law. Good luck on your puchase.
P.S. There is one time when you'll look back and that is to see what happened to every one you were riding with. :D :D :D

HCS
04-08-2003, 09:04 PM
jordanpaulk:
I've got my wish list... wink
But for now, it's limited to:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/DSC00331.JPG
and for the sand:
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Forum_Graphic_Depot/DSC00338.JPG Ok that's it. When I come down that way you'll have to hook me up. :p

crazy eyes
04-08-2003, 09:05 PM
I was on a 2 strokes all my life!! I never rode a big block dirt bike until now! I picked up a 03' crf 450.
Ill never go back to bing bing again! Its BBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP all the way baby!
There is nothing like watchn your buddy (jetboat jocko) in front of you (for now) hit both sides of the hill with his rear tire spinning out of control... as you go buy..
My choice CRF all the way, I couldnt be happier!... And I am a pretty short guy 5'7 185lbs. and I can still flick it!
Does anyone out there have a yzf 450 out there. Id like to see how you guys like it.
That was my second choice... But word of mouth said the crf was the way to go!
Good luck on your purchase.
crazzzzzy eyes (Beers to all. And summer is nockn on the door!)

Mandelon
04-09-2003, 02:11 AM
Jordy, I think you have too much extra money and too much spare time..... You should get married. wink

Jordy
04-09-2003, 04:17 AM
Mandelon:
Jordy, I think you have too much extra money and too much spare time..... You should get married. wink Yeah, I'll get right on that.
You know, on second thought, I think I'll learn to kick myself in the forehead first and when I get that down (read never) then I'll run out and get married. :D :D :D

HOSS
04-09-2003, 08:03 AM
YZ 4 strokes I hear are hard as hell to start.
Hal, no sticker deal here. Damn ya`ll got it bad.
Went to dealer this morning, no 03`s. Guy out of Houston bought last 2. 6300 they go for. I`d save about 9 bills. Supposedly anywhere in the contenintal US for under 200 shipping. Thanks for the link. The owner of the shop told me that the throttle response is phenomenal. Nothing like it. Instant neck snapping torque. No more waiting for 2 stroke rpm. Just jam it.

HotHallet
04-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Sold my KX 250 last year after busting up my left arm in five places. Had to have surgery and was out of work for 2 months. Too much on the line now to get hurt. Been riding since I was little but the body is not as forgiving anymore. Thinking about a quad or sandrail down the road.

crazy eyes
04-09-2003, 04:28 PM
I got married....6 months later I bought a 03' 450f and a 93 22' daytona in the same month. I love my wifes pay checks! :D :D
(beers to all)
C. E.

crazy eyes
04-09-2003, 04:42 PM
Back on the yzf thing.. I heard they are hard to start to and they are a little top heavy.??? But my crf is not hard to start at all, once I fiqured out that you dont have to give it gas. I love it and wouldnt change a thing from the factory! Oh ya. I paid 6200 out the door.
HotHallet- sorry to hear you got busted up. I broke my leg 2 years ago, 2 days before xmas. And my girlfried (now wife) says she had a brand new yz 250 under the tree.. I came home that day and she took it back! I thought id never ride again. 2 months off of work killed me! A year later I got back on, now happier than ever!
(beers to all)
C.E.

HP350SC
04-09-2003, 05:36 PM
I too always rode two strokes,but currently have a 2000 YZF 426.It starts fine as long as you're wearing riding boots(Will punch a hole in your shoe otherwise)I geared my 426 down 1 tooth on c/s sprocket as I mainly ride trails and first gear is a little tall.The 450 is a 4-speed now,but what has me interested is the '03 WR 450 with 5-spd. and electric start.Sounds good to a 43 yr. old.By the way,what makes my 426 a bitch to start is the height of the kickstart lever.I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. and I usually look for something like curb height to stand on with my left leg.Anyway,I listed my 426 in the local paper in order to get the WR 450.Asking $3600 in case anybody is shopping. :D

H.B. Brett
04-10-2003, 12:20 PM
I picked up a yz400 when they first came out. Change the oil, and clean the filter. That's it. I'm riding an 02'CR250 (with a green sticker till 6/04). I've thrown a leg over both the yz and the cr 450's and they both kick ass. The yz is only a 4 speed though. More of a track bike. Go with the cr450. I just got too smokin hot a deal to pass up the 2 stroke. Red stickers for both the 450's though. Closed course race bikes. Go to the river during the red sticker months.

FASTERDAMITT
04-10-2003, 07:21 PM
I personally like my XR650R. Can't be beat in the desert. But, I see you are on the track and that I would have the CRF450 for bad boys or CRF250 for the not so bad. I love two strokes but, threre' only a couple more years of them being available.