PDA

View Full Version : Turbo's & Mufflers??

mirvin
04-13-2005, 01:04 PM
What are you turbo guys gonna do for mufflers?? Is anyone working on them or are you just gonna take your chances?
mirvin :boxed:

Norseman
04-13-2005, 01:29 PM
What are you turbo guys gonna do for mufflers?? Is anyone working on them or are you just gonna take your chances?
mirvin :boxed:
Turbo's make an engine pretty quiet. I think that most turbo boats pass the current noise regs with out mufflers.

mirvin
04-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Really??
Would you say they are louder in front of the motor then exhausts that point back??

Jrocket
04-13-2005, 01:57 PM
Really??
Would you say they are louder in front of the motor then exhausts that point back??
Ya lost me on that one,but Im not going to run any mufflers until I absoluetly have to and then they will be gatlins.

mirvin
04-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Ya lost me on that one,but Im not going to run any mufflers until I absoluetly have to and then they will be gatlins.
Yeah I was having difficulty expressing myself there
:hammerhea
What I mean is that sitting in the boat the motor seemed VERY loud compared to a motor with through hull exhaust. So I was thinking that the turbo exhaust being sort of turned up at the tip might accound for the loudness in front of the motor......There's a question in there somewhere.
mirvin :shift:

Jrocket
04-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Ahhhh now I see what your talking about.Yes sitting in front of any motor that makes good power is going to be somewhat loud.Turbo motors that have short exhaust that is ran straight up into the air are usually run dry so it will be louder than normal through transom types.My boat will be through transom and water fed,all under the hatch.Should be quiet all through the rpm range.If not I have been thinking of a way to add more water through the tail pipes with a flip of a switch.Maybe run an extra line off the sea pump and have it dump more water out when needed,like dba testing.Then run it dryer when you dont need it.????? Its an idea.

mirvin
04-13-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks Jrocket. Good info.
mirvin :wink:

Jrocket
04-13-2005, 04:24 PM
Thanks Jrocket. Good info.
mirvin :wink:
As soon as my project is done,i'll get you some pics.

superdave013
04-13-2005, 04:40 PM
I'm going to run Burns mufflers that they have for dirt track cars. You can get them all different lenghts and diameters.
Back when I had my boat together a few years ago I'd get hassled for no muffs here and there. It was not as load as a stock jet boat with bassets w/ muffs. But they could plainly see I didn't have any and that was that.

obnoxious001
04-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Dave,, if you use the right explanation, they usually can see that you have a set of special built rotary muffers. I originally put the turbos on my race Schiada after getting a noise ticket warming up my blown engine at Parker. No one gave me a problem about noise after that, but I did sell the boat a few years back, not sure what they are doing now.

dirty old man
04-14-2005, 10:44 AM
love that. wait until I get stopped by the NPS at lake mead and I show my new water jacketed ROTARY MUFFLERS

WILDERTHANU
04-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Dave,, if you use the right explanation, they usually can see that you have a set of special built rotary muffers. I originally put the turbos on my race Schiada after getting a noise ticket warming up my blown engine at Parker. No one gave me a problem about noise after that, but I did sell the boat a few years back, not sure what they are doing now.
LOL nice.... Ya know Barry so far we havent had a problem with any of our boats. So lets just cross out fingers.

Performance 19
04-14-2005, 03:44 PM
We have turbo's, no need for mufflers. Haven't tested yet, about 99% certain we are under CA limit. What is acting as a muffling device IS the turbos. Distorts exhaust flow, a lot less noise. There are plenty of boats with enclosed motors and TT exhaust that are louder.

superdave013
04-14-2005, 05:53 PM
Well say what you will but I know of one twin turbo EFI Hallet vector that did not pass the noise test at Parker.
As far as mine, it was very quite. But they saw no muffs and like I said, that was that. I did tell them that those round things were turbo mufflers. They guy laughed at me and told me not to press my luck. The entire time my boat was running and we were talking from boat to boat no problem. Well, it was hard to hear each other when a jet with bassets (& muffs) went by at idle.
So with that in mind I'm putting them on right off the bat. I just don't need any hassles.

Jrocket
04-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Well say what you will but I know of one twin turbo EFI Hallet vector that did not pass the noise test at Parker.
How was the exhaust ran?Wet?Dry?

superdave013
04-15-2005, 06:10 AM
How was the exhaust ran?Wet?Dry?
just like the exhaust on the Hallett that you posted. You will prolly be ok because they can't see that you don't have mufflers. Mine is right in their face for the most part.

mirvin
04-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Here's the set up I'm refering to. Pretty sure it's dry. It seemed very loud from inside the boat but later when I was asked if it was loud from the shore I realized that it wasn't all that loud from behind.....Am I crazy?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/962100_0048-med.JPG
mirvin
:cool:

superdave013
04-15-2005, 09:03 AM
You were hearing the air going in the spark arresters and when the waste gates open they make noise too.

mirvin
04-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Thanks guys..... :wink:
mirvin :)

Hallett
04-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Here's the set up I'm refering to. Pretty sure it's dry. It seemed very loud from inside the boat but later when I was asked if it was loud from the shore I realized that it wasn't all that loud from behind.....Am I crazy?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/962100_0048-med.JPG
mirvin
:cool:
marvin those turbos look sweet, im still thinking about switching
my motor to turbo.

obnoxious001
04-16-2005, 12:10 AM
I still have both a complete engine, and a brand new Gentry kit sitting here taking up space.
agt001@aol.com
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/504/131001_engine.jpg

mirvin
04-16-2005, 04:37 PM
marvin those turbos look sweet, im still thinking about switching
my motor to turbo.
Me too!!!! That set up right there belongs to tfh on the boards. I took one ride with him and I was hooked :D The turbos spinning a v-drive seems like the way to go :hammer2: :D
Hopefully sooner then later :sleeping: :clover:
mirvin