PDA

View Full Version : Carb Question (easy one) W/PICS

BadBahner
04-13-2005, 02:14 PM
I started my boat the other day in the carport just to make sure it would start and I smelled gas and saw some fuel spray on the intake.
If you follow the arrow you will see two of four bolts that I circled with red and they were loose. Actually all four were loose. These bolts appear to hold a part on the end of the carb to the main body. I tightened them and that appears to have fixed the issue.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/19021902110-1001_IMG123.JPG
Is it common for these to come loose. What part of the carb is this? There is the same thing on the other end of the carb but those bolts were tight.
I know little about engines but I know fuel spraying out of the side of the carb is bad.
Thanks
Eric

Nucking futs
04-13-2005, 02:17 PM
Eric, those are your float bowl and they hold the fuel.You shuold check them often.If they are loose you will have a fuel leak.
Tim

Hustler
04-13-2005, 02:19 PM
If you tightened them and they are not leaking you should be fine. Motors vibrate and things come loose. if you really feel the need you can change the washer on them to the nylon ones but I would'nt bother unless it happens again.

BadBahner
04-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Eric, those are your float bowl and they hold the fuel.You shuold check them often.If they are loose you will have a fuel leak.
Tim
Got it... thanks. I am learning so bear with me on this stuff.
Eirc

Nucking futs
04-13-2005, 02:24 PM
:d :d :d :d

Jetdriver
04-13-2005, 02:46 PM
I started my boat the other day in the carport just to make sure it would start and I smelled gas and saw some fuel spray on the intake.
If you follow the arrow you will see two of four bolts that I circled with red and they were loose. Actually all four were loose. These bolts appear to hold a part on the end of the carb to the main body. I tightened them and that appears to have fixed the issue.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/19021902110-1001_IMG123.JPG
Is it common for these to come loose. What part of the carb is this? There is the same thing on the other end of the carb but those bolts were tight.
I know little about engines but I know fuel spraying out of the side of the carb is bad.
Thanks
Eric
Maybe its just me but it sure doesnt look like you have the water lines hooked up correctly. Looks to me that your going straight into the motor without going through the prewarmers on the exhaust and then it looks like you have plugged the water dumps. If thats the case your going to melt those exhaust hoses quick!

Jetdriver
04-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Heres a pic of how it should be hooked up!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/79P1010221-med.JPG

BadBahner
04-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Heres a pic of how it should be hooked up!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/79P1010221-med.JPG
You bring up a good point JD...
I had Jim Wilkes do the exhaust nd that is how he set it up. There is one hose missing in my picture from the therm housing to the exhaust but that makes no difference to what you are saying.
If anything I would think the way it is set up will run too cold and not melt anything. Help me understand what hose will melt if I don't run the pre warmer into the engine. Thanks... I want to do it right so what ever I need to change I am open.
Eric

Jetdriver
04-14-2005, 05:45 AM
You bring up a good point JD...
I had Jim Wilkes do the exhaust nd that is how he set it up. There is one hose missing in my picture from the therm housing to the exhaust but that makes no difference to what you are saying.
If anything I would think the way it is set up will run too cold and not melt anything. Help me understand what hose will melt if I don't run the pre warmer into the engine. Thanks... I want to do it right so what ever I need to change I am open.
Eric
Actually if you dont run the prewarm setup its not a big deal, its the water exiting the motor that I was refering to, to me it looks as though you are dumping your water somewhere other than through your exhaust. If you notice the picture that I attached there is a line at the top peice of the exhaust. That line is carrying the used water from the motor to the exhaust to be dumped via exhaust. The hose I was refering to was the 4" exhaust hose itself from the back of your header to your tip. I hope that makes sence. If not let me know.

BadBahner
04-14-2005, 09:37 AM
Actually if you dont run the prewarm setup its not a big deal, its the water exiting the motor that I was refering to, to me it looks as though you are dumping your water somewhere other than through your exhaust. If you notice the picture that I attached there is a line at the top peice of the exhaust. That line is carrying the used water from the motor to the exhaust to be dumped via exhaust. The hose I was refering to was the 4" exhaust hose itself from the back of your header to your tip. I hope that makes sence. If not let me know.
OK I got what your saying....
Here is what it's doing.
1 Water from the intake goes straight to the block (we know that is no big deal)
2 Hoses from the therm housing go into the prewarmer exit (Very Different approach)
3 All other holes in the exhaust are plugged so water is pushed from the bottom up and exits through the pipes.
The Manifolds and risers stay relatively cool. If you touch them after running the boat it is slightly uncomfortable but it won't be a trip to the hospital like with my twisties.

Jetdriver
04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
OK I got what your saying....
Here is what it's doing.
1 Water from the intake goes straight to the block (we know that is no big deal)
2 Hoses from the therm housing go into the prewarmer exit (Very Different approach)
3 All other holes in the exhaust are plugged so water is pushed from the bottom up and exits through the pipes.
The Manifolds and risers stay relatively cool. If you touch them after running the boat it is slightly uncomfortable but it won't be a trip to the possible like with my twisties.
So the passages from the bottom of the manifold to the top are open?

Nucking futs
04-14-2005, 09:54 AM
Here is a diagram and it shows how to do it.Its a simlpe diagram to follow.
I think you guys are confusing eachother.
Tim :rollside:
plumbing diagram (http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/CoolingPlumbing.htm)

BadBahner
04-14-2005, 11:15 AM
Here is a diagram and it shows how to do it.Its a simlpe diagram to follow.
I think you guys are confusing eachother.
Tim :rollside:
plumbing diagram (http://www.classicboatbeachbash.com/CoolingPlumbing.htm)
Thanks for the diagram... I guess the difference in my setup is that my water does not go through a prewarmer it just goes straight into the block. Then coming out of the engine it fills the whole exhaust from the bottom...
Eric

blown428fe
04-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Eric- Is that a motorolla altenator? If so could you some how take a good pic of the back of it and post it up. I took a part off the back of mine and mixed up some insulators by accident :confused: .
Thanks Mike

BadBahner
04-14-2005, 10:02 PM
So the passages from the bottom of the manifold to the top are open?
Yes the passages are connected and open...

BadBahner
04-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Eric- Is that a motorolla altenator? If so could you some how take a good pic of the back of it and post it up. I took a part off the back of mine and mixed up some insulators by accident :confused: .
Thanks Mike
Mike,
I will look when I go to the river this weekend and take shots for you...
Eric

NELSON#109
04-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Eric- Is that a motorolla altenator? If so could you some how take a good pic of the back of it and post it up. I took a part off the back of mine and mixed up some insulators by accident .
MIKE, WHAT INFO DO U NEED 4 THE MOTOROLA ALT. THEY ARE REAL SIMPLE. ONE WIRE IS AN EXCITER WIRE ( THE SMALL 1 COMIN OUT OF THE ALT) AND THE STUD IS THE CHARGE WIRE TO THE STARTER TO MEET THE BATERY ( FOR CHARGING). IVE DELT WITH PLENTY OF MOTOROLAS... ITS BEEN A WHILE, BUT I THINK I STILL REMEMBER THEM... MAYBE I CAN HELP. IF IM MISSIN SOMETHIN, I CAN STOP BY A LOCAL SHOP 4 YA N RE EDUCATE MYSELF ON THE MOTOROLA REAL QUICK N GET BACK TO YA. LET ME KNOW.

blown428fe
04-16-2005, 09:59 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2344IMG_0105-med.JPG Eric and Nelson - Here is a pic of the part I took off, dont remember where the plastic washers go.