PDA

View Full Version : More Solidworks help needed!!!

Froggystyle
04-13-2005, 03:02 PM
I can't figure out how to bore a hole off of the regular face angle.
Basically, I need to bore a 5mm hole through a face, but at a 30 degree angle.
Any ideas? I have the lines already in and correct that would be centerlines for the cuts, and I can put a straight hole in it all day. The off angle is killing me.

malibuken
04-13-2005, 03:10 PM
If your centerlines are at the proper angle to the face, make sure they protrude a bit away from the face, put a reference plane normal to curve at the end of the center line, then you can sketch your circle, on the new plane,to use as a cut.

Froggystyle
04-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Reference plane normal to curve...
How.
My lines are far past the face. This is what I was having a problem with... I can't seem to get the reference plane perpendicular to the line.

Froggystyle
04-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Reference plane normal to curve...
How.
My lines are far past the face. This is what I was having a problem with... I can't seem to get the reference plane perpendicular to the line.
Never mind. I got it!!!!!
Beers on me when you see me!

Ziggy
04-13-2005, 03:22 PM
I new that Chevy driver had the answers for you Froggy :D

Jordy
04-13-2005, 03:44 PM
Wow, Justin's getting his face bored already??? He must have done something really bad. ;) :D

malibuken
04-13-2005, 06:41 PM
sorry, I was at the bar when you wanted to know how. :messedup: Glad you found the command. :D

Mandelon
04-13-2005, 06:56 PM
When I have to bore hole that is already predrilled wrong, off center or at an angle I make a jig out of a block of wood. Pre drill the block of wood with the hole size and then Bevel cut it to match the angle of the piece you will be drilling. Clamp or screw it to the surface you will be drilling. The wood block keeps the bit or holesaw lined up whether or not the substate is flat or not.
Hope it worked out ok for ya Wes.

Doofus Here
04-14-2005, 06:50 AM
Solidworks - :sleeping:

malibuken
04-14-2005, 08:08 AM
I new that Chevy driver had the answers for you Froggy :D
Chevy drivers always have the answer, you just have to figure out if it is right or not. :idea: :D

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Solidworks??? Didnt think anyone used that program. Get with the times and use Catia V5 or UG NX which are both XP compatible.
I can't figure out how to bore a hole off of the regular face angle.
Any ideas? I have the lines already in and correct that would be centerlines for the cuts, and I can put a straight hole in it all day. The off angle is killing me.

It's Only Money
04-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Solidworks??? Didnt think anyone used that program. Get with the times and use Catia V5 or UG NX which are both XP compatible.
UG is garbage. Try creating a louvre on a sheetmetal box. Now duplicate that louvre 80 or more times as you'd see with a BBQ housing.
Catia V5 is still full of bugs.
Who cares if either is XP capable. XP and other Windows platforms puke at the memory requirements of large assemblies. 3 GB switch you say...some of my clients assemblies are double that.

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Agree XP is crap. I will take a UNIX based system any day over a windows based system. The reason I mentioned Windows XP based is most people have Windows and not a UNIX mainframe system.
Yes, Catia V5 does still have some bugs to work out. What dont you like about UG? They did fix most of the issues when they went to NX2. I prefer UG over this V5 this company forces me to use.
In either UG or Catia V5 you could create the louvre in sketcher and copy it over and change one or two parameters to create another louvre. Keep doing that until you have all 80. Basically, create a pattern.
Have you tried Pro-E Wildfire?
UG is garbage. Try creating a louvre on a sheetmetal box. Now duplicate that louvre 80 or more times as you'd see with a BBQ housing.
Catia V5 is still full of bugs.
Who cares if either is XP capable. XP and other Windows platforms puke at the memory requirements of large assemblies. 3 GB switch you say...some of my clients assemblies are double that.

Essex502
04-14-2005, 09:30 AM
I agree with the post by It's Only Money...
I have been a Pro/E reseller/user/administrator/implementer/tech support for 15 years back to rev 4 as well as all of the above for UG for 3 years. Pro/ENGINEER is much better than UG for the width and breadth of most tasks in very large companies - especially in, as mentioned, sheetmetal applications. I demonstrated to Joan Hirsch (director of UG Solutions at the time) its deficiencies specifically in this area as compared to Pro/ENGINEER back in 2001. Her and her product line manager for sheetmetal: "We don't know how to fix it." Having said that, I also believe that for small to mid sized companies that mainly design prismatic parts not requiring complex b-splined surfaces, that Solidworks and Solid Edge as well as Inventor work just fine. The learning curve with advanced solid modelers is daunting to some and unless the full capabilities of the Pro/E or CATIA applications are required the mid range solutions are just fine.
Pro/E Wildfire? Yep. Pro/INTRALINK and PDMLink as well. In fact, I've been spending most of the last two years implementing Windchill PDMLink in our organization. Used to be a CEP for Pro/E but let it lapse when I stopped consulting.

Essex502
04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
Another note...I routinely evaluate the competing CAD systems on a yearly basis to assure that we are as current as the market allows.

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Pro-E Wildfire is the latest version. I have never used it although have it on my PC. I am currently using Catia V5 but prefer UG for the work I do.

Rooster
04-14-2005, 09:59 AM
Im probably chiming in later here. But are you guys just using CAD for one off machining of parts or are you doing more production work?
Just curious.. I work in the sheet metal fab industry...

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 10:06 AM
I use Catia and/or UG for production aircraft parts.

RiverDave
04-14-2005, 10:09 AM
What?? Damn near everybody doing mechanical engineering is using either solid works or Pro - E.
I know alot of design studios (more industrial design) use catia, and alias (sp?) etc..
RD

Essex502
04-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Im probably chiming in later here. But are you guys just using CAD for one off machining of parts or are you doing more production work?
Our firm is using CAD for complex production assemblies comprising thousands of components.
If you need to design the part prior to machining it, frequently it is easier to do with a 3D modeler and take it into a CAM package for developing the toolpath for programming the CNC machine tool. The modern CAD packages allow easy manipulation of the model to facilitate design changes prior to machining and aid in visualization of the resulting geometry.

Essex502
04-14-2005, 10:14 AM
What?? Damn near everybody doing mechanical engineering is using either solid works or Pro - E.
I know alot of design studios (more industrial design) use catia, and alias (sp?) etc..
RD
RD...CATIA is entrenched in the automotive companies - mainly DaimlerChrsyler and Toyota. UG is entrenched at GM. IDEAS (formerly SDRC) was/is Ford. Aerospace is fragmented - Boeing - CATIA though many Boeing sites use UG and Pro/E as well. Lockheed Martin - standardized on Pro/E.
Design studios like Alias as it is not really a CAD tool per se but a visualization and animation tool. It's strengths are industrial design and it is almost universally used. Many of the Design Studios use Alias on the front end and if they have to produce 3D models for manufacture or drawings use Pro/E, UG and CATIA.

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 10:19 AM
I know of very few aerospace companies using Pro-E or Solidworks. The big companies such as Lockheed, Boeing, Northrop, BAE and the old McDonnell Douglas facility all use either UG or Catia V4/V5.
RD

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 10:26 AM
Lockheed Martin uses Catia V4 or Cadam at either the Ft Worth or Savannah facility.
McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) uses UG in Long Beach and at the St Louis facility.
I dont know of any Boeing facility that uses Pro-E and I worked at many of the different sites.
Native Boeing uses Catia V4 or V5 at all their facilities. They started using V5 on all new programs.
Freightliner in Portland uses Catia V4/V5.
Detroit Diesel uses Catia V4/V5.
RD...CATIA is entrenched in the automotive companies - mainly DaimlerChrsyler and Toyota. UG is entrenched at GM. IDEAS (formerly SDRC) was/is Ford. Aerospace is fragmented - Boeing - CATIA though many Boeing sites use UG and Pro/E as well. Lockheed Martin - standardized on Pro/E.
Design studios like Alias as it is not really a CAD tool per se but a visualization and animation tool. It's strengths are industrial design and it is almost universally used. Many of the Design Studios use Alias on the front end and if they have to produce 3D models for manufacture or drawings use Pro/E, UG and CATIA.

Essex502
04-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Lockheed Martin uses Catia V4 or Cadam at either the Ft Worth or Savannah facility.
McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) uses UG in Long Beach and at the St Louis facility.
I dont know of any Boeing facility that uses Pro-E and I worked at many of the different sites.
Native Boeing uses Catia V4 or V5 at all their facilities. They started using V5 on all new programs.
Freightliner in Portland uses Catia V4/V5.
Detroit Diesel uses Catia V4/V5.
I've personally consulted at most of the Lockheed facilities on the west coast and they all were Pro/E houses. That doesn't mean that like all big companies they have a few seats of soemthing else in some sites.
Boeing Seal Beach - Pro/E
Boeing Satellite Systems - El Segundo - Pro/E
Boeing Rocketdyne (soon sold to Pratt and Whitney) - Canoga Park - Pro/E
Boeing Anaheim (future combat systems) - Pro/E
Catepiller - Pro/E
Cummins - Pro/E
Mercury Marine - Pro/E
Harley Davidson - Pro/E
John Deere - Pro/E
The Boeing facilities that were formerly Hughes or Rockwell were primarily Pro/E and the Boeing facilities that were McDonnel Douglass were UG.

schiada96
04-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Me too

Essex502
04-14-2005, 10:34 AM
Opps... forgot Raytheon - Pro/E.....Northrup - Pro/E (some) former TRW in El Segundo - formerly Pro/E converting to CATIA (bigots on both sides of the fence) - Paccar (Peterbilt) -I think still Pro/E

Essex502
04-14-2005, 10:45 AM
Me too
Modern CAD tools have sheetmetal capabilities to design sheetmetal components and unfold them to develop accurate flat patterns to be used for punching and subsequent forming into the final part. If you have a complex sheetmetal enclosure it might aid you to use a cad package.

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I know Boeing in Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Seattle and Wichita all use Catia V4/V5 or UG. I am not aware of any Boeing facility using Pro-E.
Northrop in El Segundo uses Catia V5 on new programs and uses UG NX on the old F18 program.
Northrop in Rancho Bernardo uses Pro-E on old projects and Catia V5 on new projects.
Goodrich (formerly Rohr) in Chula Vista uses Catia V5.
Lockheed in Fort Worth uses Catia V5 on all new programs. They still uses V4 on older projects.
BAE in Ontario uses Catia V4, UG and Pro-E.
D3 technologies in San Diego uses Catia V4 on older projects and V5 on new.
Sikorsky in CT uses Catia V4 on older and V5 on new.
Boeing Vertol in PA uses Catia V4 on odler projects and V5 on new.
Bell Helicopter in Forth Worth uses Catia V4 on older projects and V5 on new.
Bombardier in Canada uses Catia V5.
Vought Aircraft in Fort Worth uses Catia V4 on older projects and V5 on new.
Gulfstream in GA and Long Beach, CA use Catia V4 on older projects and V5 on new.
All aircraft suppliers in WA state that do business with Boeing use Catia V4 or V5.
I have personally worked at many of these companies.
I've personally consulted at most of the Lockheed facilities on the west coast and they all were Pro/E houses. That doesn't mean that like all big companies they have a few seats of soemthing else in some sites.
Boeing Seal Beach - Pro/E
Boeing Satellite Systems - El Segundo - Pro/E
Boeing Rocketdyne (soon sold to Pratt and Whitney) - Canoga Park - Pro/E
Boeing Anaheim (future combat systems) - Pro/E
Catepiller - Pro/E
Cummins - Pro/E
Mercury Marine - Pro/E
Harley Davidson - Pro/E
John Deere - Pro/E
The Boeing facilities that were formerly Hughes or Rockwell were primarily Pro/E and the Boeing facilities that were McDonnel Douglass were UG.

Essex502
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
I I am not aware of any Boeing facility using Pro-E.
I'm not sure what your point is but I specifically listed the Boeing facilities using Pro/E. If you doubt me call them.

Essex502
04-14-2005, 11:01 AM
BTW...
http://ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/textsub.jsp?im_dbkey=28750&icg_dbkey=21

RitcheyRch
04-14-2005, 03:54 PM
My point was that Boeing doesnt use Pro-E at any of the commercial/military design facilities. They may use it at the facility that designs satellites.
If Lockheed started using Pro-E recently it sure is news to use designers that have always been told they specifically use Catia.
http://www.3ds.com/news-events/press-room/release/397/1/
http://www.3ds.com/news-events/press-room/release/204/1/
http://www.3ds.com/news-events/press-room/release/188/1/
http://www.3ds.com/news-events/press-room/release/61/1/
I'm not sure what your point is but I specifically listed the Boeing facilities using Pro/E. If you doubt me call them.