PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel Hull/Bilge Pumps

LGCDEVIL
04-13-2005, 04:23 PM
I am putting a tunnel hull together and I can't figure out how to get the water out of the outer sponsons. There is not enough room below or behind the fuel tanks to fit a bilge pump. Any ideas/suggestions?

HBjet
04-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Move the tanks forward and install bilge pumps.
HBjet

Ken F
04-13-2005, 05:20 PM
LGC-
There are bilge pumps made which can be mounted remotely and the pick-up hose run to a low spot in the sponson, but they are pretty pricy.
Another suggestion might be flapper valves which fit in the drain plug holes and only evacuate water while underway. Bad part of that is, you have no bilge if your engine quits in the middle of the lake and they seem to be pretty prone to getting trash in them as the water evacuates and then they won't seal when you stop. Then it's nice to have a bilge pump. lol
As HBJ said, moving the tanks forward 4-5" would probably be the best solution.
Ken F

atxwrangler
04-13-2005, 05:36 PM
:idea: you can get scuppers from overtons.com that act as a check valve , install one in each outer sponson , then you r done . Ihave a 79 southwind tunnell dragster i am fixing up , and this is what i will use , boaters with other southwinds recommended this to me , and sounds good .you will still need 1 bilge pump in the middle but only a single expense , ratherthan a triple expense , .. scupper $9.99 . just my 2 cents !

Cs19
04-13-2005, 09:22 PM
If the holes are already drilled through the boat for the filler necks, moving the tanks might be tricky, Id do what Ken said and use those tricky dick bilge pumps.
cs

TRG
04-13-2005, 09:29 PM
If the holes are already drilled through the boat for the filler necks, moving the tanks might be tricky, Id do what Ken said and use those tricky dick bilge pumps.
cs
Did you just say,..."TRICKY DICK" chris???
who you callin a dick anyway??? :D

Cs19
04-13-2005, 09:42 PM
I used to work with this guy who always said that. "tricky dick bro".
Nevermind..lol

TRG
04-13-2005, 10:09 PM
a huh!...right!...im gonna keep my eye on you there pal! :wink:

Cs19
04-13-2005, 10:15 PM
:D
Heard your gunnin for HB this summer. :eek:

LVjetboy
04-14-2005, 12:06 AM
I use duckbills...one way flapper valves. Like Ken says, they have drawbacks. But I've used them over 10 years now no sinky. They keep the side sponsons clear better than my dual bilge pumps keep the center sponson clear...no float switch limitation. But you gotta move! I suppose the ultimate would be a combination of both.
jer

LGCDEVIL
04-14-2005, 04:48 AM
Thanks for the info. Anyone know where to get the remote pumps?

LGCDEVIL
04-14-2005, 06:12 AM
Got one at Rex.

likeFATHERlikeSON3
04-14-2005, 06:31 AM
http://www.rexmar.com/page156.html

sanger rat
04-14-2005, 04:54 PM
Grainger has some options to look at. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/searchresults.jsp?xi=xi

moneysucker
04-14-2005, 05:19 PM
I use J drains from CP Performance, You just have to make sure you do not have anything stuck in the flapper. These are great should you ever have a battery failure like me and can not use your bilge pump.
Cy

TRG
04-14-2005, 08:35 PM
:D
Heard your gunnin for HB this summer. :eek:
that little ****in bird landed on your shoulder too? :wink:

MudPumper
04-14-2005, 08:52 PM
I don't know Todd, you might need a bowlight to battle with HB.

Cs19
04-14-2005, 09:54 PM
Since Randy and I only race at night (inside joke), ya your gonna need a bow light.

LVjetboy
04-14-2005, 11:01 PM
Jabsco, don't they make head pumps? :eek:
$150-$230 is too much for this application in my opinion. And I normally spare no expense on my jet. But a toilet pump?? Since you have two outer sponsons, double that. You'd also need to fit a float switch behind each tank...more $ and most likely, no room. A positive displacement pump draws big current too: 8 amps vs 1.5 for less flow. With two Jabsco's, double that to 16 amps. Not good for battery. The Jabsco's a bad idea for your application Devil. Think K.I.S.S.
jer

CrazyHippy
04-15-2005, 09:07 AM
I have a Tunnel (ob powered) and only run a bilge pump in the center. The boat will still float w/ the outer sponsons filled to where they spill into the center.
A little bit of water isn't going to hurt anything.
Also, how are you going to get water out into the sponsons? Water will come into the center of the boat 1st (most of the time) and the pump will take care of it.
Having said that, my boat doesn't leak, and the only water getting into it is from wet bathing suits and waterski's that someone doesn't drain the bindings on. :D
BJH

572Daytona
04-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Jabsco, don't they make head pumps? :eek:
$150-$230 is too much for this application in my opinion. And I normally spare no expense on my jet. But a toilet pump?? Since you have two outer sponsons, double that. You'd also need to fit a float switch behind each tank...more $ and most likely, no room. A positive displacement pump draws big current too: 8 amps vs 1.5 for less flow. With two Jabsco's, double that to 16 amps. Not good for battery. The Jabsco's a bad idea for your application Devil. Think K.I.S.S.
jer
If you have an open engine compartment (i.e. don't need spark protection) Jabsco also makes a washdown pump that you can buy at West Marine that is cheaper (around $120) I use one in my Daytona for the center tunnel because there's no room on the side of the intake for a normal bilge pump. I do have 3 regular bilge pumps installed too, one in each outer sponson in one in the center tunnel further forward.

Taylorman
04-15-2005, 12:06 PM
How about a plug.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/161eliminator105.jpg

LGCDEVIL
04-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks, Taylorman. I have a plug, but can't decide which side to put it on. Atx, how do those scupper deals work? Do you mount them on the back of the boat, over the plug hole, or do they have to mount flat, like in the picture on overtons.com?

Cs19
04-15-2005, 12:34 PM
You can squeeze one of the small RULE bilge pumps in the center sponson next to the intake with some minor mods to it, you have to cut some of the plastic crap off the sides, and epoxy a new filter/screen on the bottom of the pump. Thats what Ive got on my daytona. West Marine carries the RULE pumps, they are red,white and blue.Making the bracket is the tricky part, I used some thin aluminum (bendable) and a hose clamp around the pump itself to mount it.
Ive got 3 pumps in mine, the 2 in the outside sponsons rarely get used, but are nice to have just in case.
CS

HBjet
04-15-2005, 12:56 PM
Is this the same Blue Bird your talking about? Glad he's giving me some tips with my new setup!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/20nosbottlebluebird.jpg
HBjet :2purples:

TRG
04-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Is this the same Blue Bird your talking about? Glad he's giving me some tips with my new setup!
are these names notches in your stringer randy???
better grab some filler and resin if so...lol
P.S. i have a much bigger bottle than that one, with a much prettier color as well! bwaaahaha! :D

MudPumper
04-16-2005, 09:07 AM
are these names notches in your stringer randy???
better grab some filler and resin if so...lol
P.S. i have a much bigger bottle than that one, with a much prettier color as well! bwaaahaha! :D
You guys are too f'n funny. I can't wait to hang out at the river with you knuckle heads this summer. :hammer2:

flat broke
04-16-2005, 09:35 AM
If you need anything other than your current setup to beat up on Mark's new rig, you're gonna need a lot more than what you spec'd for the other guys ;)
Chris

cyclone
04-17-2005, 08:24 AM
You guys are too f'n funny. I can't wait to hang out at the river with you knuckle heads this summer. :hammer2:
I'll be right there with you sittin' back and watchin' these fools duke it out. :cool:

HBjet
04-17-2005, 10:24 AM
If you need anything other than your current setup to beat up on Mark's new rig, you're gonna need a lot more than what you spec'd for the other guys ;)
Chris
No, he's only on the list because he still has the CP... The new barge won't even seem like its moving when I pass him!
HBjet!

HBjet
04-17-2005, 10:25 AM
I'll be right there with you sittin' back and watchin' these fools duke it out. :cool:
That will last about 10 minutes.... :shift:
HBjet

steelcomp
04-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Bottles are for babies who havent learned how to build a real motor yet! :boxingguy :lightsabe :sleeping: :D :D

steelcomp
04-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Taylorman. I have a plug, but can't decide which side to put it on. Atx, how do those scupper deals work? Do you mount them on the back of the boat, over the plug hole, or do they have to mount flat, like in the picture on overtons.com?
If you use a plug, which is the easiest way, it will mount on the inside bottom corner of the sponson, like in the pic Taylorman posted. Most outer sponsons have a taper to them toward the center. This will be the low spot. I have a small 1/4" tube in the bottom of mine with a little plastic screw on cap. It's just enough to drain what little water gets into the outer sponson.

LVjetboy
04-18-2005, 12:23 AM
"It's just enough to drain what little water gets into the outer sponson."
But more water can get in there on a typical lake or river day. Other than leak. For example...idiot wake boats. Ignorant jet skiers. Wind chop or white caps. Cruiser, whatever. That's been my experience...
With my freeboard and splash guard on a weekend, a lot of water can end up in the outer sponsons quickly. And with my boat, the stringers are a higher dam with only a small relief drain to the center pod.
You may not want to pull the boat to drain or carry that weight the rest of the day? 8.3 lbs/gal extra dead weight is useless. One-way valves on the other hand do work.
The only concern with one-way is debris and long term mooring...which for me has never been a problem. I don't moor for longer than over-night. And I run dual center pod bildge pumps so even if a side sponson one-way duck bill blocked open, my two center pumps (or battery) would have to fail before sink.
Not saying plugs won't work. Just saying, I've taken a wave or two over the splash guard I'm glad I could clear the side sponsons with some forward motion.
jer