PDA

View Full Version : Cal-az law for equipment

aqua8410
04-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Question, What does the CA and AZ require you to have aboard your boat as far as saftey equipment besides a cooler and a 6pak of beer?
Is a boat/throw cushion and whistle required onboard? How about an oar?
Thanks

uncle larry
04-13-2005, 07:43 PM
pfd's for everyone on board
fire ext.
horn/something to sound an alarm
orange flag

Boatcop
04-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Legal equipment requirements:
1) A properly sized wearable USCG Approved Personal Floatation Device for each person on board. (Children 12 and under must wear theirs)
2) If the boat is over 16', 1 throwable Type IV device (CG Approved Seat Cushion or Ring Buoy)
3) Under 26', 1 CG Approved B-I Fire Extinguisher
26' - >40' 2 B-I Fire Extinguisher or 1 B-II Fire Extinguisher
40'- to >60' 3 B-I Fire Extinguishers or 1 B-II + 1 B-III Fire Extinguishers
(A fixed Fire Extinguishing system in the engine Compartment can take the place of 1 B-I Extinguisher, regardless of size. Arizona still requires that the boat carry a B-I extinguisher on boats, even if equipped with a fixed system)
4) Proper Navigation lights if operating at night.
5) Sound Producing Device (Horn or Whistle) Although Arizona does not require this, California does, and Federal Regulation requires it on Federal Waters (which the Colorado River is.)
6) Ski Flag (If skiing)
7) Original Certificate of Numbers (Registration) or Official USCG Document
8) USCG Approved Visual Distress Signals (If operating on Coastal Waters)
9) Sober Operator
Recommended, but not required by law:
Anchor & Line
Bailing Bucket
Oar or paddle

Huckleberry
04-13-2005, 07:50 PM
The requirede equipment varies by the length of your boat. Here's a link to a site that breaks it down pretty good.
Boat Equipment Guide (http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/boating/4_2.htm)

Squirtin Thunder
04-13-2005, 07:52 PM
1) PFDs for everyone
2) throw cushion
3) orange Flag
4) Horn of some sort
5) Paddle
6) First Aid Kit
7) Proper Up to date Fire Extinguishers
8) Current Registration
9) Lights - Bow and Stern

bgchuby01
04-13-2005, 08:09 PM
It is questions like this that make you wonder how that more people don't get hurt on the water. If you are unsure about the laws take a simple FREE United States Power Suadron course on safe boating. Again it is FREE to the public and you will learn the rights and wrongs for a safe day on the water. These courses are availible throughout the USA. For southern cal call 1-800-sea skill for a class near you. I live in canyon lake and if there is enough of a response I will put together a class for the lake elsinore area. I know that some of you think that this class is stupid but someday it could save your life.
email me at Jeffymurray@aol.com if you have any other questions.

aqua8410
04-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Reply to your message:
It is questions like this that make you wonder how that more people don't get hurt on the water. If you are unsure about the laws take a simple FREE United States Power Suadron course on safe boating. Again it is FREE to the public and you will learn the rights and wrongs for a safe day on the water. These courses are availible throughout the USA. For southern cal call 1-800-sea skill for a class near you. I live in canyon lake and if there is enough of a response I will put together a class for the lake elsinore area. I know that some of you think that this class is stupid but someday it could save your life.
email me at Jeffymurray@aol.com if you have any other questions.
Thanks but I really wanted to see how many boaters really knew what is required. As far as boating classes I've been boating for 28 yrs now and have taken several classes. I sometimes go to a lanch ramp and just watch people launch there boats and within the last 4 yrs it has really scared me to take my family to the lake on any busy weekend. I only boat during the week now and I feel so much safer then before. I watched a a boat go into the water and after fifteen mins it was under water. The owner didn't know he had to put a plug in??????? Pretty scarey.... Thanks for the info and thanks for giving info out on the classes. It is not a stupid class and if more people would take it maybe it would be alot safer oout there. Happy boating.....