PDA

View Full Version : Re-wiring the whole boat.

bear down
04-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Had a friend who just opened his own shop install the system in my boat..Needless to say he did a nasty job. It's been two seasons and I just can't stand seeing the mess of wires and amps tossed around...I will be re-wiring the whole boat this weekend. This is what I have as far as equipment.
1 Kicker KX 600x4
1 Kicker KX 800x4
1 PPI 200watt Amp 2 channel
I have 8 (just purchased)Alpine 6x9 SPr-69 LP speakers (255 watts, 55 RMS)..
I have a friend who is an executive for Alpine and he can get anything from them at Cost, so I was wondering should I sell the Kicker amps and purchase a large single amp from alpine??
Can you guys please recommend what size power/ground/speaker wire I should use? I will be installing the amps under my rear seat (don't really want to because there is a chance of water hitting the amps as we climb over the rear seats to get in) but it's the only place on the boat that has room for the amps. Can anyone recommend where to purchase the wiring at a low price. Thanks guys for all of your help!!! :)

NOTALENT
04-13-2005, 07:20 PM
Im not sure torwards the amps and so but for subs, speakers, wiring I go to a place called Indo Audio in Irivine. there mainly a distributor...The best prices I have seen. And u can even will call to save shipping. Check them out..hope it helps..there amp kits are cheap.
heres there 2gauge wiring kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32808&item=5767151635&tc=photo
www.indoaudio.com

Havasu Hangin'
04-13-2005, 07:40 PM
Can you guys please recommend what size power/ground/speaker wire I should use? I will be installing the amps under my rear seat (don't really want to because there is a chance of water hitting the amps as we climb over the rear seats to get in) but it's the only place on the boat that has room for the amps. Can anyone recommend where to purchase the wiring at a low price. Thanks guys for all of your help!!! :)
The power/ground gauge wire will depend on how long of a run you need, and how many amps it will be supplying (forget the car audio stuff). For the speaker wire, 16 gauge will work fine.
I get alot of my stuff at Orvac Electronics in Fullerton (they sell it by the foot).
Buy alot of zip-ties (Home Depot is pretty cheap).
As for the amps, you can seal them in a dedicated box, and run fans to get the air in and out- then you don't have to worry about them getting wet.

motocrossguy25
04-13-2005, 07:45 PM
well i work at diamond car care in the auto sound i am the new manager so i can give you a good deal and could even install it for you if you want.

ROZ
04-13-2005, 08:18 PM
Yo BD, Is the boat here or in Havi? If it's in Havi, go to Cartoyz and see Frank. He WILL do a good job, and he WILL provide you with great customer service...
If the boat is here and you need anything, let me know.... HH has the great 411 and the lowdown on that place in fullerton...

bear down
04-13-2005, 08:33 PM
I brought the boat back home to get some minor repairs done before the season starts..>I called Car Toyz last year and they were going to charge me about 600-800 bucks to re wire the whole system, thought I would do it myself and save the cash for some brews! I think I will hit up that place in fullerton tomorrow and pick up some materials. Roz, what's your opinion on the amps?? Stick with the kicker or sell them and get the Alpine!---(Don't want to dump more money in the pit I call the boat system)

ROZ
04-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Put the amps on ebay and get the Alpine's from your buddy ! If he's a good buddy, you're probably getting them at employee price...Just a little below retail p/o cost ;) :D
The New MRVF545 would do it :D Cleaner amp but won't have quite the punch as 2 amps...

redi4fun
04-14-2005, 11:30 AM
The power/ground gauge wire will depend on how long of a run you need, and how many amps it will be supplying (forget the car audio stuff). For the speaker wire, 16 gauge will work fine.
I get alot of my stuff at Orvac Electronics in Fullerton (they sell it by the foot).
Buy alot of zip-ties (Home Depot is pretty cheap).
As for the amps, you can seal them in a dedicated box, and run fans to get the air in and out- then you don't have to worry about them getting wet.
Orvac electronics is a great place for all of your electronic needs. People there seem to be a great source for questions.

riverbound
04-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Since you are close to Ontario, you could go and see Parker (dave) at AL&Eds. He has taken care of alot of ***boaters and should be bale to steer you in the right direction. (909)481-8411