PDA

View Full Version : You think gas is expensive???

MsDrmr
04-14-2005, 05:51 AM
Think a gallon of gas is expensive?
This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.
Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29 ........ $10.32 per gallon
Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19 ...........$9.52 per gallon
Gatorade 20 oz $1.59 ... $10.17 per gallon
Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25 . $10.00 per gallon
Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15 . $33.60 per gallon
Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35 .... $178.13 per gallon
Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85 ..... $123.20 per gallon
Whiteout 7 oz $1.39 ......... .. $25.42 per gallon
Scope 1.5 oz $0.99 .......$84.48 per gallon
And this is the REAL KICKER...
Evian water 9 oz $1.49..........$21.19 per gallon?! $21.19 for WATER -
and the buyers don't even know the source. (Evian spelled backwards is
Naive.)
So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on
water, Scope, or Whiteout, or God forbid Pepto Bismal or Nyquil.
Just a little humor to help ease the pain of your next trip to the
pump...

sorry dog
04-14-2005, 06:07 AM
Milk is 2.99 at my local grocery store.
If you could milk gas from cows, I'd own a few.
...or if my truck could run on methane...

NOTALENT
04-14-2005, 06:09 AM
what..now ur gonna jump on there side?? I dont see my paycheck going up!! ;) :D

MsDrmr
04-14-2005, 06:18 AM
what..now ur gonna jump on there side?? I dont see my paycheck going up!! ;) :D
oh heck no, not on their side at all just a cute e-mail I got and thought I'd share.
thats what I said to someone yesterday when they said everything is going up...I replied with "yeah, except wages"

NOTALENT
04-14-2005, 06:21 AM
oh heck no, not on their side at all just a cute e-mail I got and thought I'd share.
thats what I said to someone yesterday when they said everything is going up...I replied with "yeah, except wages"
haha...funny thing is..its probably the oil companies sending out these emails trying to make it seem not so bad...!!! :idea:

MsDrmr
04-14-2005, 06:26 AM
haha...funny thing is..its probably the oil companies sending out these emails trying to make it seem not so bad...!!! :idea:
I didn't even think of that,,,good one. Your up and thinking early this morning, I'm just up...

rsoscia
04-14-2005, 06:28 AM
but a gallon of white out would last me a life time where a gallon of gas maybe 20 miles

NOTALENT
04-14-2005, 06:32 AM
I didn't even think of that,,,good one. Your up and thinking early this morning, I'm just up...
half way thinking...im draggin..about to crack me open a rockstar.. :rollside: draggin a little bit..

Freak
04-14-2005, 06:35 AM
Also those products are dependant on the price of oil/gas. As the price of oil/gas goes up so will they. Not the other way around. So you really cant look at pricing that way.
Here is a case study of the complexity of industrial metabolism is provided by James Womack and Daniel Jones in their book Lean Thinking, where they trace the origins and pathways of a can of English cola. The can itself is more costly and complicated to manufacture than the beverage.
Now as the price of energy goes up (oil/gas) do you think we can go on this way?
Try and think of all the ways (oil/gas) is being used in the process. Building the buildings, the products to build the buildings, the equip building the buildings the oil used to make the equip building the buildings. Shipping the product and so on and so on. It's crazy and as the price goes up it cannot continue. A change in life style is coming with the high cost of energy.
Bauxite is mined in Australia, trucked to a chemical reduction mill, each ton of bauxite processed and purified into a half ton of aluminium oxide. It is then stockpiled, loaded on a giant ore carrier and sent to Sweden or Norway, where hydroelectric dams provide cheap electricity. After a month-long journey across two oceans, it usually sits at the smelter for as long as two months.
The smelter takes two hours to turn each half ton of aluminium oxide into a quarter of a ton of aluminium metal, in ingots ten meters long. These are cured for two weeks before being shipped to roller mills in Sweden or Germany. There each ingot is heated to nearly nine hundred degrees Fahrenheit and rolled down to a thickness of an eighth of an inch. The resulting sheets are wrapped in ten-ton coils and transported to a warehouse, and then to a cold rolling mill in the same or another country, where they are rolled tenfold thinner, ready for fabrication. The aluminium is then sent to England, where sheets are punched and formed into cans, which are then washed, dried, painted with a base coat, and then painted again with specific product information. The cans are next lacquered, flanged (they are still topless), sprayed inside with a protective coating to prevent the cola from corroding the can, and inspected.
The cans are palletized, forklifted, and warehoused until needed. They are then shipped to the bottler, where they are washed and cleaned once more, then filled with water mixed with flavoured syrup, phosphorus, caffeine, and carbon dioxide gas. The sugar is harvested from beet fields in France and undergoes trucking, milling, refining and shipping. The phosphorus comes from Idaho, where it is excavated from deep open-pit mines – a process that also unearths cadmium and radioactive thorium. Round-the-clock, the mining company uses the same amount of electricity as a city of 100,000 people in order to reduce the phosphate to food-grade quality. The caffeine is shipped from a chemical manufacturer to the syrup manufacturer in England.
The filled cans are sealed with an aluminum ‘pop-top’ lid at the rate of fifteen hundred cans per minute, then inserted into cardboard cartons printed with matching colour and promotional schemes. The cartons are made of forest pulp that may have originated anywhere from Sweden or Siberia to the oldgrowth, virgin forests of British Columbia that are the home of grizzly, wolverines, otters, and eagles. Palletised again, the cans are shipped to a regional distribution warehouse, and shortly thereafter to a supermarket where a typical can is purchased within three days.
The consumer buys twelve ounces of the phosphate-tinged, caffeine-impregnated, caramel-flavoured sugar water. Drinking the cola takes a few minutes; throwing the can away takes a second. In England, consumers discard 84 percent of all cans, which means that the overall rate of aluminium waste, after counting production losses, is 88 percent. The United States still gets three-fifths of its aluminium from virgin ore, at twenty times the energy intensity of recycled aluminium, and throws away enough aluminium to replace its entire commercial aircraft fleet every three months.
Every product we consume has a similar hidden history, an unwritten inventory of its materials, resources, and impacts. It also has attendant waste generated by its use and disposal ... The amount of waste generated to make a semiconductor chip is over 100,000 times its weight; that of a laptop computer, close to 4,000 times its weight. Two quarts of gasoline and a thousand quarts of water are required to produce a quart of Florida orange juice. One ton of paper requires the use of 98 tons tons of various resources.

MsDrmr
04-14-2005, 06:37 AM
half way thinking...im draggin..about to crack me open a rockstar.. :rollside: draggin a little bit..
Im just about finished with my first diet coke. there will be another one that follows thats for sure. Need me a serious caffine fix right now

Schiada76
04-14-2005, 07:22 AM
Adjusted for inflation gas is cheaper than 30 years ago, add in modern fuel efficiency and you are ahead of the game. :rolleyes:

NOTALENT
04-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Adjusted for inflation gas is cheaper than 30 years ago, add in modern fuel efficiency and you are ahead of the game. :rolleyes:
haha..damn it..stop trying to make it sound better!!! :yuk:

ELIMINAT THIS
04-14-2005, 07:34 AM
Yea but I dont drink 100 gallons of water in a day. :yuk:

lilrick
04-14-2005, 08:03 AM
nobody mentioned the cost of beer......hmmmm.

MsDrmr
04-14-2005, 11:21 AM
nobody mentioned the cost of beer......hmmmm.
didn't want you to cry over that one... :wink: :wink:

Krazy K
04-14-2005, 12:14 PM
Gatorade 20 oz. $1.59 (I buy mine for .99 and it's 32oz.)
9oz. Water 1.09!!! (Who in their right mind would pay this for water? Ever heard of Brita? :wink: )