PDA

View Full Version : Is Carrera done???

BarryMac
04-14-2005, 07:12 AM
Is Carrera boats done? I don't see alot about them, no more Regattas, very little advertising, are they getting ready to hang up their hats???

Kilrtoy
04-14-2005, 07:32 AM
They are with aftershock and they advertise alot.....

Waldo
04-14-2005, 07:58 AM
I don't think they do boat shows anymore (I didn't go to the LA or OC shows..so my info is dated). The did; however, have a "Not a regatta" last year. Hopefully they'll get one going again for this year.

BarryMac
04-14-2005, 08:00 AM
I don't think they do boat shows anymore (I didn't go to the LA or OC shows..so my info is dated). The did; however, have a "Not a regatta" last year. Hopefully they'll get one going again for this year.
Did you goto the notta regatta? I considered it but couldn't fit it into my schedule. It just seems that they are slowly disappearing...

Waldo
04-14-2005, 08:04 AM
No we didn't...I think we had a wedding on the same weekend last year. Sounded like it would be fun. We will try to make it this year if it happens.

BADBLOWN572
04-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Carrera did get bought out by Aftershock, but trust me they are not going anywhere. They have a large financial backer behind both companies and they will not go out of business. They advertise a lot, just not in ways that most boat builders advertise. I know that last week I was out at Carrera/Aftershock and they are backordered approximately 10 weeks right now. On average, they have been selling between 6-10 boats a week. There is also talk of a regatta this year, but no details as of yet. If you are curious to see what is going on, stop by their show room. It is the old Corona Motorsports building right off of the 91 freeway.

Kilrtoy
04-14-2005, 08:19 AM
Wow, owners must be loaded selling 288 to 480 boats a year.....

OutCole'd
04-14-2005, 08:19 AM
I would think about with the history of the name "Carrera", the name recognition alone would be the reason to keep it alive.

franky
04-14-2005, 08:23 AM
I doubt that they sell 6-10 a week all year long. Seasonal.

Mandelon
04-14-2005, 08:36 AM
They have joint advertising with Aftershock. I see they usually get a full page ad in the boat trader.

DAB
04-14-2005, 08:43 AM
KT, quick on the math ;) I was thinking the same thing...

BADBLOWN572
04-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Well, right now is the season. I would guess though that they probably do somewhere around 200+ boats a year. I do not know for a fact, but that would be my guess. The owner of Carrera is an investor who definitely has done well. He doesn't go into anything without making money on it, so I would say that they are making some serious cash. Especially since everything (other than trailers) is done in house. When I spoke to the owner, he said that boats are something that he enjoys. When you can enjoy something and make money at it, all the better.

THOR
04-14-2005, 09:12 AM
That would be the new leader in the industry. Last I heard, Eliminator still sells the most at 300-400 per year. Carrera must be the new leader :cool:

THOR
04-14-2005, 09:16 AM
Well, right now is the season. I would guess though that they probably do somewhere around 200+ boats a year. I do not know for a fact, but that would be my guess. The owner of Carrera is an investor who definitely has done well. He doesn't go into anything without making money on it, so I would say that they are making some serious cash. Especially since everything (other than trailers) is done in house. When I spoke to the owner, he said that boats are something that he enjoys. When you can enjoy something and make money at it, all the better.
I talked to the old owner's son (Jason) the other day here in the office. Cool guy. He is jonesing to go to the river.

BADBLOWN572
04-14-2005, 03:40 PM
I talked to the old owner's son (Jason) the other day here in the office. Cool guy. He is jonesing to go to the river.
Yeah I talked to him earlier this week and he says that he is going to try to get out sometime soon. He usually goes down to Blythe with a buddy of ours.

cc322
04-14-2005, 04:18 PM
We looked at the Carreraas before I boought the Lavey, spoke with the owner and seemed very cool straight up guy who knew his shit. Just decided I wanted a lavey thats what was in my head from the get go. But I think they make a very good product just not as main stream anymore, IMO thats neither good or bad. :p

Two K's
04-14-2005, 04:40 PM
I checked them out last year when visiting Cali. Also checked out a couple others. Liked the carrera alot. Interested in the 29' I'm looking for Hull and interior with fuel tanks. Carrera gave me the best price [super price actually]and their quality looked real good. I wish I had time to take a ride in one while there cause I just don't know how it would handle in the rough stuff here on long island. Domn8er was the one that I liked the best mostly because of its room,cabin and how well it was built. The Domn8er I looked at was full dressed less engine/drive package. So I'm saving up my money but I really wouldnt mind owning either one of these boats.

phebus
04-14-2005, 05:19 PM
As a Carrera owner, and very happy with the boat, I am very dissappointed with the companies business policies. Sure, boat shows are very expensive, and regatta's are a lot of hassle, but they do promote buyer confidece and satisfaction when their builder's product is out in the public's eyes.
Making money today is not what it is all about, if you invest in your buyers, you can count on word of mouth, and return buyers to keep the company going into the future. It seems to me they are in it for now, with no investment towards tomorrow's buyer, and no return for those that have purchased in the past.

04-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Agree with the business policies

mororless
04-14-2005, 08:05 PM
God I hope not. They have some of my money and I am hoping to give(the bank really) some more.

Mrs. 4-B
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
God I hope not. They have some of my money and I am hoping to give(the bank really) some more.
Don't worry. We also have a Carrera and we are very happy with it. Took a little longer to build than they said but what's new! Just stay on top of them and make sure they write everything down. Visit often and watch the progress.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/2379100_1022_resize.jpg

SHAKEN Not Stirred
04-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Carrera did get bought out by Aftershock, but trust me they are not going anywhere. They have a large financial backer behind both companies and they will not go out of business. They advertise a lot, just not in ways that most boat builders advertise. I know that last week I was out at Carrera/Aftershock and they are backordered approximately 10 weeks right now. On average, they have been selling between 6-10 boats a week. There is also talk of a regatta this year, but no details as of yet. If you are curious to see what is going on, stop by their show room. It is the old Corona Motorsports building right off of the 91 freeway.
Thats 312-512 boats a year.......Not possible for them.......
Next?
Why do people go with builders like Carrera & Commander ??
Those companies live hand to mouth....at times.....and are scary...
Although it seems from some posts here that Carrera may have some money..
You say that they sell a bunch of boats, but I just don't see them....
Why take chances when their are so many other choices.....
Later,
CJG
:wink:

phebus
04-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Next?
:wink:Danny said "Well, right now is the season. I would guess though that they probably do somewhere around 200+ boats a year.". The 6-10 boats a week was during the season, and I would think even that is an optimistic number.

mbrown2
04-14-2005, 09:56 PM
When Dennis had the company, I think it was a different company to deal with....I have close friends that have business dealings with the parent company of both boat company's and the company's dealings are very shady, enough where the friends have served them and are dragging them to court.....It's too bad...Dennis built great names and great boats over the years; hopefully his continued involvement will keep the Carerra name around.

dicudmore
04-15-2005, 07:47 AM
Next?
Why do people go with builders like Carrera & Commander ??
Those companies live hand to mouth....at times.....and are scary...
Although it seems from some posts here that Carrera may have some money..
You say that they sell a bunch of boats, but I just don't see them....
Why take chances when their are so many other choices.....
Later,
CJG
:wink:
I didn't know anybody was cranking 200 boats a year....That's a lot of work...
and people bad mouth Cheetah...?