PDA

View Full Version : Tow Rig Audio Question -

Essex502
04-14-2005, 12:42 PM
I've picked up a new 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab and have replaced the speakers with MB Quart 6x9's in the front and MB Quart 5.25's in the back. Both are mounted in the factory locations in the doors. Now I want to upgrade the head unit and add an amp. I am thinking a JL Audio amp to mount under the seat. I see there is a 300/2 and 300/4. New neophyte self thinks the 300/4 would be better to drive the speakers I used since they are different sizes and capabilities. Am I right in my thinking or full of $hit? Also, what would be a good head unit for this setup without spending a ton of money - and I don't care about satellite radio or MP3 capability. No subs in the picture for now as I haven't come up with a good location for them.
Thanks in advance.

rivercrazy
04-14-2005, 12:53 PM
I'd go with that 4 channel. In a car it will provide you with more flexibility. You could either wire up all 4 channels and turn down the gains on the back speakers (for proper front stage SQ), or run the back speakers off the head unit and bridge the amp to the front speakers for LOTS of headroom.

AZmike
04-14-2005, 01:17 PM
Yeah get a 4 channel, it's better to have the extra channels just in case. I've always used sony headunits in all my vehicles. The quality is excellent for the price.

NOTALENT
04-14-2005, 01:18 PM
U should talk to WYRD...he has the same truck..with a killer system.. :)

Essex502
04-18-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks guys....it looks like the 4 channel will be the one I order.

Essex502
05-17-2005, 11:25 AM
To resurect an older thread....
I went to talk to a dealer about putting in the JL Audio 300/4 amp and a head unit in my new Dodge Ram and the dealer suggested switching to a Autotek Street Machine SX-480 instead. He is a JL Audio dealer as well as an Autotek dealer and I wonder why he would suggest the lower priced Autotek? The JL Audio was $499 versus the Autotek @ $299 (his prices). They wanted another $75 for wiring and misc. + $150 for the installation. I already have 2 MB Quart DTE 169 6x9 speakers in the front of the cab and 2 MB Quart DKE 113 5-1/4 speakers in the rear. The dealer only needs to mount the amp and wire it up. Do these prices sound competitive and what do you guys think about the switch to Autotek. I wasn't necessarily looking to save $200 but if the quality and performance is nearly the same then why not? I was looking to drive this with the Sony CDX-F7715 head unit.
Comments?

ROZ
05-17-2005, 11:41 AM
He is a JL Audio dealer as well as an Autotek dealer and I wonder why he would suggest the lower priced Autotek?
Maybe inventory was an issue.... Our retail guys call it swiss.... sell what's in stock, stupid :D
I thinks Mr. N audio stocks the autotek. A pm may be worth it...

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-17-2005, 03:18 PM
I went to talk to a dealer about putting in the JL Audio 300/4 amp and a head unit in my new Dodge Ram and the dealer suggested switching to a Autotek Street Machine SX-480 instead. He is a JL Audio dealer as well as an Autotek dealer and I wonder why he would suggest the lower priced Autotek? The JL Audio was $499 versus the Autotek @ $299 (his prices). They wanted another $75 for wiring and misc. + $150 for the installation. I already have 2 MB Quart DTE 169 6x9 speakers in the front of the cab and 2 MB Quart DKE 113 5-1/4 speakers in the rear. The dealer only needs to mount the amp and wire it up. Do these prices sound competitive and what do you guys think about the switch to Autotek. I wasn't necessarily looking to save $200 but if the quality and performance is nearly the same then why not? I was looking to drive this with the Sony CDX-F7715 head unit.
Comments?
Let me guess, Car Toyz in Havasu??

Essex502
05-18-2005, 11:21 AM
Let me guess, Car Toyz in Havasu??
How did you know? It was Car Toyz. Is there something I'm missing?

Havasu_Dreamin
05-18-2005, 11:36 AM
What the hell you need all that stuff for!?!?!?!? You only tow 4 miles! LMAO

Essex502
05-18-2005, 02:09 PM
What the hell you need all that stuff for!?!?!?!? You only tow 4 miles! LMAO
It's for the occasional EXPECTED long trip to Powell or the annual fishing trip to Bishop!

djunkie
05-18-2005, 02:14 PM
Hey Roz. Have you ever heard of RT Audio amps? Are they any good?

riverbound
05-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Let me get this right.... Yo went in wanting the JL and the Dealer told you that Autotek would give you the same things as the JL? I would stick with the JL. Like Roz said it sounds like the S.W.I.S.S. theory. I would stay away form the cheap crap. :(

Essex502
05-19-2005, 06:00 AM
Let me get this right.... Yo went in wanting the JL and the Dealer told you that Autotek would give you the same things as the JL? I would stick with the JL. Like Roz said it sounds like the S.W.I.S.S. theory. I would stay away form the cheap crap. :(
Yep, that was pretty much how it went down. I told the gentleman behind the counter that I was looking to upgrade and wanted to get pricing on the JL Audio 300/4 + a head unit + installation. I was upfront and told him it wouldn't be THAT day as it was afternoon and we couldn't leave the truck. He said he was booked until June anyway so no problem. He recommended the Sony head unit and checking around his pricing on that wasn't out of line. The JL unit he quoted at $499 which seemed high and checking on the Internet I can find them up to $100 cheaper.
I was looking for a "turn key" installation as my time is pretty tight and I didn't want to do this myself and would rather pay someone to do it right. Now Car Toyz is suspect in my mind for the switch.

INSman
05-19-2005, 08:12 AM
Yep, that was pretty much how it went down. I told the gentleman behind the counter that I was looking to upgrade and wanted to get pricing on the JL Audio 300/4 + a head unit + installation. I was upfront and told him it wouldn't be THAT day as it was afternoon and we couldn't leave the truck. He said he was booked until June anyway so no problem. He recommended the Sony head unit and checking around his pricing on that wasn't out of line. The JL unit he quoted at $499 which seemed high and checking on the Internet I can find them up to $100 cheaper.
I was looking for a "turn key" installation as my time is pretty tight and I didn't want to do this myself and would rather pay someone to do it right. Now Car Toyz is suspect in my mind for the switch.
Mike
Be careful buying electronics on the internet, as in most cases, you will have NO warranty. Although I personally buy way too much on Ebay, stereo stuff I will usually get from a retailer that also will do the install. I have JL stuff as well which has been great, but you never know.
Blane

Essex502
05-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Mike
Be careful buying electronics on the internet, as in most cases, you will have NO warranty. Although I personally buy way too much on Ebay, stereo stuff I will usually get from a retailer that also will do the install. I have JL stuff as well which has been great, but you never know.
Blane
If I bought via the Internet it would be from a reputable company that has a street address as well. The Internet is good for price comparisons. For example...the Sony head unit that Car Toyz quoted was only $20 cheaper at Crutchfield's. For the $20 I'd buy from Car Toyz. The $100 difference in the prices for the JL Audio seemed excessive.

riverbound
05-19-2005, 10:48 AM
I dont know of any Authorized Jl internet dealers. I know when I was at Al&Eds it was in our contract that we could not sell via the internet. JL would not warranty anything via the internet. Just remember this, the margins are not that high in car-audio. So alot of the times these "great deals" usually have problems. I have seen everything you could imagine for the internet.

INSman
05-19-2005, 12:24 PM
I dont know of any Authorized Jl internet dealers. I know when I was at Al&Eds it was in our contract that we could not sell via the internet. JL would not warranty anything via the internet. Just remember this, the margins are not that high in car-audio. So alot of the times these "great deals" usually have problems. I have seen everything you could imagine for the internet.
I understood the same to be true....

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-19-2005, 02:38 PM
How did you know? It was Car Toyz. Is there something I'm missing?
They pimp that Autotek shit as if they produce it. The JL slash line of amps is the absolutly best amp you can buy for the money. Go with the JL stuff, dont let them pimp the other shit on you.

ROZ
05-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I may be wrong, but I think they've had pretty good luck with the Autotek stuff....
Reguardless, I agree with Mr. Gelcoat on the JL ;) :D
And if you have money to burn, check out Audison :mix:

Essex502
05-20-2005, 07:31 AM
No, no money to burn as there are a couple of other projects ;) in the works. Just looking for good clean sound from those MB Quart speakers that I installed. So who has the best deals on JL Audio then? $499 is list price and that is what Car Toyz is quoting. I'd certainly like to pay less than list.

Essex502
05-20-2005, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I know the Internet policy of JL as I visited their website. I use the Internet to price items for leverage against the brick and mortar stores.

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-20-2005, 08:15 AM
I may be wrong, but I think they've had pretty good luck with the Autotek stuff....
Reguardless, I agree with Mr. Gelcoat on the JL ;) :D
And if you have money to burn, check out Audison :mix:
That Audison stuff is out of control. I dont think I could justify that kinda coin on car audio equipment. :D

WaTchTheGelCoat
05-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Also, in no way am I trying to bash Car Toyz. Their instalations and customer service are top notch. ;)