PDA

View Full Version : Not busy spanking something? I have a?

Chestah Cheetah
07-21-2001, 10:48 AM
I just changed the oil on my 455 to 50W. When I leveled the trailer and started it up, it started getting hot- 143 degrees. The drivers side exhaust didn't start spitting out water until 1 min. after the passenger side. I have 2 locations to install the garden hose, 1 before the gate valve and one after. It got hot connected before the gate valve, when I connected it closer to the motor after the gate it cooled off quickly and had better flow out of the pipes. Is something stuck? Should I just eliminate the gate valve? What else should I check? Thanks in advance for stopping the spanking and helping.

rstover1
07-21-2001, 06:32 PM
One thing to think about a water hose dosent push half the water pressure that the pump does changing the oil shouldnt change the temp that much I wouldnt ditch the valve yet put it on the lake first. Just a thought

Chestah Cheetah
07-21-2001, 08:48 PM
Sorry, both hose locations are before the gate valve. The second location just cuts out water going to the pump and concentrates it to the motor only, I'm assuming- I'm new to this. When I do this, the temp goes all the way down and both pipes are spewing water. I've run the boat on the trailer a few times before and have never seen the temp go up that much. When the hose is hooked up to the first hose connection and it gets hot, the drivers side exhaust is noticeably hotter to the touch and so is the restrictor housing.

kevin
07-21-2001, 09:00 PM
when you run your boat out of water you should have water going to the engine and pump to keep from burning up the seals on the mainshaft of the pump. it sounds like you are not getting enough water from you garden hose to cool the motor. when you are running the boat in the lake the pump is already in the water so all the water is flowing to the engine(comes from the pump). i always used two hoses when i ran my boat in the driveway one coneccted to the motor, the other keeping the jet seals wet.
kevin

racingrascal
07-21-2001, 09:43 PM
What is the easiest way to keep the Jet seals wet or the main shaft??
Andy

timitunnel
07-22-2001, 09:40 PM
The best way to keep the seals wet is to have lake front property with a dock and boathouse. A year around warm climate also helps. Tim

hoolign
07-23-2001, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by kevin:
when you run your boat out of water you should have water going to the engine and pump to keep from burning up the seals on the mainshaft of the pump. it sounds like you are not getting enough water from you garden hose to cool the motor. when you are running the boat in the lake the pump is already in the water so all the water is flowing to the engine(comes from the pump). i always used two hoses when i ran my boat in the driveway one coneccted to the motor, the other keeping the jet seals wet.
kevin
tuned my boat on land lots,takes 10 min, to pull the u-joint

hoolign
07-23-2001, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by kevin:
kevin
tuned my boat on land lots,takes 10 min, to pull the u-joint

Hustler
07-23-2001, 09:55 AM
CC, How did the boat run on sunday? you said that it got to 143 in the driveway but 143 does not seem that hot. by the way did your oil psi come up?
Hustler

Chestah Cheetah
07-23-2001, 10:50 AM
Great day on Sunday. Disconnected the water intake hoses, poked around, put them back on fired it up and it was good (fixed itself?). Still ran kind of hot, but that might be cause I just switched to 40W- but we had equal amounts of water coming out both pipes. When we got it onthe water it ran COLD and good. Oil pressure is still kind of an issue for me. Varied from mid 20's to high 30's depending on RPM.
Here's a question: I top out at 4000rpm. I need to go faster. I doesn't sound like it's really charging. Impeller?

Hustler
07-23-2001, 05:15 PM
CC, whats up with the monkey? i thought he was your grease monkey/tuner, has the boat always turned those rpm's? and if so do you know what your impeller is?
Hustler

Chestah Cheetah
07-24-2001, 09:24 AM
Hustler, Monkey has been missing for over a week now, probably another wicked drinking and gambling binge in Vegas.
To be honest, I have no idea what kind of impeller I'm running. I plan on going through the whole boat and take down as many specs, it would help in finding out where I can get more HP's. The best way to the describe what happens at 4000 rpm: tops out there, motor sounds tight and great, doesn't feel like it's redlining or anything. To me it feels like it wants to release more power, spin more.

77Spectra
07-24-2001, 06:42 PM
Your jet pump puts more pressure and flow than a garden hose. Connect hose after the gate. 2: The gate was restricting your water flow and It was seeking the path of least resistance.....

EDROE
07-25-2001, 12:49 AM
That little monkey bastard is dead meat when I find him. Had him come over to do a tune-up on my boat so I could see if he knew what he's doing. I went into the house to get us a couple o brewskis.When I came out the monkey was gone and so were my tools. Shoulda known better than to trust a dam monkey!

Chestah Cheetah
07-25-2001, 10:06 AM
Monkey gave me a new set of Craftsman tools for my B-Day. They all have "Edroe" engraved on them. Sorry buddy, possesion is 9 tenths on the law.

Hustler
07-25-2001, 01:17 PM
Now Edroe, with all the troble that monkey has caused you still trusted him to work on your boat, better yet leave him alone with your tools and your boat your lucky he only took the tools!!!! CC you think you could spank the monkey for Edroe?
Hustler

EDROE
07-25-2001, 01:49 PM
SPANK HIM!!I'M GONNA CHOKE HIM!!