PDA

View Full Version : Why would you..

Blown Lavey
04-14-2005, 01:03 PM
Why would you use 6x9"s instead of 6.5"s in this application?
Seems like you could get the same sound out of the 6.5 without the extra cost, keeping in mind that you already have subs in your system.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_351-med.jpg :hammer2:

h2oski2fast
04-14-2005, 01:38 PM
6x9s are WAY more efficient then 6.5s. Less power to get the same output, plus a wider frequency response. May not sound better, but it will definately be louder.

riverbound
04-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Because in that particular application you want as much volume as possible. and 6x9s will give you more volume than a 6x9. trust me I know alot about that particular speaker setup (we designed and built those and now actually manufacture them) If you are interested Call (909)481-8411 and speak to Dave.
We did try them with 6.5s and they did not sound nearly as good.

rvrpig
04-14-2005, 03:01 PM
Because in that particular application you want as much volume as possible. and 6x9s will give you more volume than a 6x9. trust me I know alot about that particular speaker setup (we designed and built those and now actually manufacture them) If you are interested Call (909)481-8411 and speak to Dave.
We did try them with 6.5s and they did not sound nearly as good.
How much does something like that run and how how many holes do you have to put in the boat...very interested.

Havasu_Dreamin
04-14-2005, 03:05 PM
Why would you use 6x9"s instead of 6.5"s in this application?
Seems like you could get the same sound out of the 6.5 without the extra cost, keeping in mind that you already have subs in your system.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_351-med.jpg :hammer2:
Why?!?!?!?!?! I always crack up at the guys going thru the channel with speakers up on poles or bungeed to their bow facing outwards. I just don't get it, but to each their own I guess. :confused:

riverbound
04-14-2005, 03:17 PM
How much does something like that run and how how many holes do you have to put in the boat...very interested.
2holes. For pricing you need to call Dave (Parker) or PM him. (909)481-8411 He has special discounts for ***boaters.
Or if you want PM me your contact info and I will give him your info. I will be at the shop tonight.

riverbound
04-14-2005, 03:18 PM
Why?!?!?!?!?! I always crack up at the guys going thru the channel with speakers up on poles or bungeed to their bow facing outwards. I just don't get it, but to each their own I guess. :confused:
Originally we built them for a customer that wanted to be able to hear their stereo outside of the boat while beached, at the Sandbar etc... Now People can do whatever they want with them.

69 Elim
04-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Well, I have a set of those pods on my boat. Dave made them up for me. I have 2 pairs of 6x9's in them. I can honestly say they really work for when I'm on the beach - the sound can travel instead of being trapped in the boat.
but, I didn't realize how heavy they were going to be.
Riverbound - I think you guys should make them out of fiberglass instead of all wood construction. they seem REALLY heavy.
but they work well for the purpose I intended.
Just little affraid of the pole bending from their weight on top.
NO, I don't cruise around with them up, and yes, I think they look a little funny up too. but they do play loud - so mission accomplished.
Plus the Mrs. and her friends like it :wink:

ROZ
04-14-2005, 05:24 PM
6x9s are WAY more efficient then 6.5s. Less power to get the same output, plus a wider frequency response. May not sound better, but it will definately be louder.
You sure you don't want to get back into the business? :D

ROZ
04-14-2005, 05:25 PM
Riverbound - I think you guys should make them out of fiberglass instead of all wood construction. they seem REALLY heavy.
I think RB is working on that one... ;)

riverbound
04-14-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, I have a set of those pods on my boat. Dave made them up for me. I have 2 pairs of 6x9's in them. I can honestly say they really work for when I'm on the beach - the sound can travel instead of being trapped in the boat.
but, I didn't realize how heavy they were going to be.
but they work well for the purpose I intended.
Just little affraid of the pole bending from their weight on top.
NO, I don't cruise around with them up, and yes, I think they look a little funny up too. but they do play loud - so mission accomplished.
Plus the Mrs. and her friends like it :wink:
Done..... The new ones are made from a fiberglass mold and wiegh about one pund each. Parker (Dave) is supposed to get on here and let everyone know of the "new" version and post some pics. But I think he is extremely busy ast the shop right now. I know I dropped off 8 sets a week ago and they are already gone.
For those of you that are interested in this setup, I would call Parker (Dave) and get more info. (909)481-8411
Oh and the new ones are also a gelcoat finish that can be made to match your boat (for an additional fee) instead of the vinyl finish on the older version.

riverbound
04-14-2005, 05:37 PM
I think RB is working on that one... ;)
Speaking of working, things have slowed down so let me know when you have some time to come by for that tour.

BOBALOO
04-14-2005, 06:03 PM
These are my third set of pods I have built. The first ones had a thin layer of wood bent around the curve and were fiberglassed inside and out. They were VERY HEAVY.
2nd set I tried to make with MDF ends and fiberglass resined cloth for the curve but they would have taken alot of bondo to smoothe out.
3rd set and I found the best way for me. I used the MDF for the end rings and a connecting brace on the bottom then used a thin sheet of metal flashing to make the curve. I connected it together with a brad nailer and reinforced the inside with some fiberglass mat.
These work very well .
I have the gains set up on the amps so that when I plug the pods in to the modified transom light socket on the dash, the pods are louder than the speakers inside the boat. I figure I am extending my battey life somewhat like this since I am putting more sound outside the boat rather than inside.
One more thing i have is a remote bass knob so that when someone is in the cuddy making a drink they are not dying from the bass.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4418speaker_6x9-med.jpg

BOBALOO
04-14-2005, 06:06 PM
I dont know what is up with the face I am making either.

Phat Matt
04-14-2005, 08:16 PM
I dont know what is up with the face I am making either.
Yeah, and what happened to your finger on your right hand? :D

ROZ
04-14-2005, 09:46 PM
Yeah, and what happened to your finger on your right hand? :D
I hope he didn't leave it anywhere :D
Or maybe that explains the look on his face...lol

h2oski2fast
04-14-2005, 10:18 PM
You sure you don't want to get back into the business? :D
I'm positive that I don't! Although I have been building a couple of systems lately. One for my truck, and another for a friends boat we use to ski and hang out in at Canyon Lake on the off weekends we're not at the river (which I hope isn't too often this year, as I plan on being out there A LOT)

ROZ
04-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Although I have been building a couple of systems lately. One for my truck, and another for a friends boat
I've been busy helping a couple local friends as well...lol
It's fun, though..:)

sigepmock
04-15-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm thinking about having Parker hook me up a set of your fiberpods under the hatch RB. You know, facing forward so I can lift the hatch and get the sound heading out the front of the boat towards the beach. The Fiberglass ones turned out nice, I have to say. Anyone got a good idea on a swivel type bracket I could use to aim them??? I can't find anything I like that will handle the abuse of the lake. I might just have to hard mount them to the bottom of the deck lid.... :idea: We'll see.
Chris

ChumpChange
04-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Those are funny looking.

riverbound
04-15-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking about having Parker hook me up a set of your fiberpods under the hatch RB. You know, facing forward so I can lift the hatch and get the sound heading out the front of the boat towards the beach. The Fiberglass ones turned out nice, I have to say. Anyone got a good idea on a swivel type bracket I could use to aim them??? I can't find anything I like that will handle the abuse of the lake. I might just have to hard mount them to the bottom of the deck lid.... :idea: We'll see.
Chris
I found some on the internet that we for wakeboard towers, but they could be easily modified for what you are doing. The problem we have found is the swivels tend to wear out then become loose. Best bet is to have the guys hard mount them. We have already tried a few different mounts and the hard mount seems to be the most durable.

h2oski2fast
04-15-2005, 01:52 PM
I've been busy helping a couple local friends as well...lol
It's fun, though..:)
Don't get me wrong I like building stereo systems, but I just couldn't do it for a living anymore. Doing it on the side is enjoyable without all the hassle. I get people asking at least twice a month if I will work on the rides........ I decline.

riverbound
04-15-2005, 01:56 PM
Those are funny looking.
On that particular boat the customer wanted them really tall, we usually build them a lot lower profile and they look much better. I had a much better pic, but the image center seems to have eaten it.

sigepmock
04-18-2005, 06:17 AM
I found some on the internet that we for wakeboard towers, but they could be easily modified for what you are doing. The problem we have found is the swivels tend to wear out then become loose. Best bet is to have the guys hard mount them. We have already tried a few different mounts and the hard mount seems to be the most durable.
Thanks RB, hard mount it is.
Chris

Holland
04-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Gotta agree with you on this HH..... Is this the same group who beats the hell out of their trunklids and all you hear is the license plate rattling???
oh well... Im old.

dbddbd
05-07-2005, 08:31 PM
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT

boater012
05-18-2005, 03:00 PM
In response to your question about swivels for the pods under the hatch sigepmock i have successfully used the small bass boat type seat swivels foir underhatch speakers in the past you can get them in stainless for a pretty reasonable price. they are the perfect size ( if you get the small ones) they also have have a good sized mounting plat on them i welded a little tab to both parts and drilles a hole through both pieces. that allowed me to use a push button lock pin to hold them steady when the boat is underway. i wish i had pics. i have done this to a couple customers boats and they absolutely loved it. :rollside: