PDA

View Full Version : Conquest vs Magic questions?

Magnuman
04-14-2005, 05:39 PM
I noticed on the poll of V-hull and cats in the Sand Bar Forum that Magic in many cases was rated higher than the Conquest.
I am looking at a Conquest Boss Cat and wanted to hear any opinions regarding this boat vs the 28' Magic Scepter.
Thanks.

Beer-30
04-14-2005, 05:46 PM
You would need to drive both and see what feels best to you. Magic owners will swear that Magic is the way to go. Conquest owners will be biased toward Conquest.
It comes down to which look you like better and the price that is ok with you.
Performance numbers should be similar, power for power. They are both very efficient.

Magnuman
04-14-2005, 05:51 PM
I plan on going down soon to check both company's out.
That is if I still have any money after Uncle Sam finishes reaming me tomorrow! :mad:

Charley
04-14-2005, 05:57 PM
I think they are actually very comparable, Personally i like the lines of the Magic a little better, but from what I have heard the customer service is iffy.... Good luck

Magnuman
04-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Charley,
I am concerned about quality out of the box. I want to buy from someone who product doesn't need to go back to the factory for problems.
Northern California is a long haul to Arizonia.

OutCole'd
04-14-2005, 06:26 PM
I'm going to get my popcorn for this one.
P.S. Magic has taken great care of me.

Beer-30
04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Afore you go out, make sure you talk to Keith E. Sayre, here on the boards. He is at Conquest. Little known fact, he was at SleekCraft/Magic prior to that. He really helped me with my decision. Even though I was looking at a few Sleeks, he didn't even try to sell me a Conquest 276 V-bottom. He told me the pros and cons of the three boats I was looking at, and never bashed one of them against the other. Great guy. Extremely helpful.

Charley
04-14-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm going to get my popcorn for this one.
P.S. Magic has taken great care of me.
I wouldnt doubt that at all....once again my opinion on this one is really based on what I've heard

OutCole'd
04-14-2005, 08:10 PM
I wouldnt doubt that at all....once again my opinion on this one is really based on what I've heard
Don't get me wrong. Personally, I like the lines of the new Conquest more. And Keith is a great guy, either way, it would be a tough choice.
No Koolaid either way with these. Now that's a problem. :D

shipfaced
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
DON'T OVERLOOK THE DOMN8ER DECK I GET COMPLIMENTS EVERY TIME I TAKE MINE OUT. IN MY OPINION IS BUILT AS GOOD AS EITHER MAGIC,OR THE CONQUEST.JUST MY OPINION THOUGH.SERVICE HAS BEEN GREAT AND NOT ONE PROBLEM WITH THE BOAT. SECOND SEASON OUT. :smile:

unleashed
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
I have to be honest on this one. I dont know much about Dominator but when I saw there deck boat at the boatshow I thought it was absolutely stellar. Now if anyone has one of these I would like to hear about it. As far as magic and conquest goes I think its a tossup. They both look great in person and have reasonable performance(I've seen both up close). The only thing that might lean me towards Conquest is Keith sayer whom I hear alot of good things about. Goodluck with your decision.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Jrocket
04-14-2005, 08:28 PM
It wasnt too long ago that Magic took a real beating here on the boards for a month or so.People were coming out and slamming them hard.Alot bad things were said and then all the sudden....nothing! Its like everyone shut up at once and nothing negative has been said since.So either magic got a hold of the boards and stepped it up or the people decided to calm down.Seems like thats how it goes on here sometimes.
I like the Magics lines but dealing with Keith would be the deal sealer for me.Dealing with Keith you cant go wrong.This is just my opinion,and i drink the koolaid heavily! :D

OutCole'd
04-14-2005, 08:33 PM
He is looking at the Cat, not the Deck boat.
As far as Magic's beating. I have seen it happen a few times. It seems there are a few that are real pissed, but a lot of the newer owners tend to stick up for them. I think they are really trying to turn things in the right direction when it comes to customer service.

unleashed
04-14-2005, 08:41 PM
He is looking at the Cat, not the Deck boat.
As far as Magic's beating. I have seen it happen a few times. It seems there are a few that are real pissed, but a lot of the newer owners tend to stick up for them. I think they are really trying to turn things in the right direction when it comes to customer service.
My bad....hes looking for a cat. I thought it was a deck boat for some reason. Well both boats look very nice but not sure on performance. Someone has to have some real numbers here...come on. Once again I would stick with Keith as hes on the boards and Im sure would be more than helpful in the customer service area..and thats the bottom line unless the magic is that much better???
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

OutCole'd
04-14-2005, 08:49 PM
My bad....hes looking for a cat. I thought it was a deck boat for some reason. Well both boats look very nice but not sure on performance. Someone has to have some real numbers here...come on. Once again I would stick with Keith as hes on the boards and Im sure would be more than helpful in the customer service area..and thats the bottom line unless the magic is that much better???
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)
As far as #'s, I'm not sure what the new Conquest is doing. I'm sure it's great. It's a brand new hull.
The Magic has been out a while. There are a lot of peeps here with them.
As far as reputation, your right. I have yet to here a negative with Keith, even when he was at Magic. He is the one to talk to, he is a straight shooter & give the pro's & con's on each boat.
When it all boils down, it will come down to personal preferance & $$$.

mbrown2
04-14-2005, 09:17 PM
I like the lines on the Magic Deck hands down better, but the new Conquest Cat is pretty sleek......If I were a doing a deck, and did not feel like dropping Trident coin, it would definitely be a Magic.

Magnuman
04-14-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback and was not trying to get into a popcorn war.
I have been boating for 30 years in deep-v offshore racing boats.
In part, due to this board, I am very interested in experiencing the ride of a closed deck cat. I am not looking for a deck boat.
Keith Sayer has been great to speak to.
Over the past few years I have noticed negative comments about Magic's quality and was surprised at the ratings on the cat poll (cat pole for all you Havasuer's :D )
It's also unfortunate (for me) that there really isn't any track record on the Boss Cat.
This is a new area to me and I think I need to get some stick time and value all the comments.
Thanks

riverroyal
04-15-2005, 08:30 AM
we spend months looking at both,the deck boat,,I think either one is money well spent,resale on both is great,looks are great,,,,we have a magic,couldnt be happier,,,,,,,,,,our choice came down to the fact that magic had 3 boats ready to go,,and Im kinda a impulse buyer, I couldnt wait,money in hand,gotta spend it,,,,,,,I would pick the one that looks best to you,paint etc.......our experience with magic guys has been absolutely professional and perfect,its alotta money to spend,my biggest fear was driving away and with a boat and not having any support,,,i think your 2 choices will satisfy you,,,see ya

Dave C
04-15-2005, 09:39 AM
Another local. Where ya located, I'm S. Bruno & S. Mateo.
Did you look at the 28 Daytona? I saw a couple of nice ones when I was at the dealer last year.
I think the local dealer has one (Antioch) too.
PM if you wish.
Thanks for all the feedback and was not trying to get into a popcorn war.
I have been boating for 30 years in deep-v offshore racing boats.
In part, due to this board, I am very interested in experiencing the ride of a closed deck cat. I am not looking for a deck boat.
Keith Sayer has been great to speak to.
Over the past few years I have noticed negative comments about Magic's quality and was surprised at the ratings on the cat poll (cat pole for all you Havasuer's :D )
It's also unfortunate (for me) that there really isn't any track record on the Boss Cat.
This is a new area to me and I think I need to get some stick time and value all the comments.
Thanks

ELIMINAT THIS
04-15-2005, 10:53 AM
Another local. Where ya located, I'm S. Bruno & S. Mateo.
Did you look at the 28 Daytona? I saw a couple of nice ones when I was at the dealer last year.
I think the local dealer has one (Antioch) too.
PM if you wish.
I think the boat at sporting edge (antioch) is a 26 with a 496 procharger. Btw when are we going to see you on a lunch run. :D

Magnuman
04-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Dave C,
I live in El Sobrante (East Bay). I have homes on Clear Lake and Lake Tahoe which is where I do most of my boating.

essexjet
04-15-2005, 12:28 PM
I agree with Deano, domn8er boat have some pretty nice looking rides. Have yet to hear any performance numbers though.
http://www.domn8er.com/images/domn8ercat1_600.jpg

Dave C
04-15-2005, 12:59 PM
I thought they had a 28? No?
When is the next one? Aren't the lunch runs on Friday (i.e. a workday)? Maybe I can talk some business while I'm there and we can write off the whole trip as a lunch meeting. ;) If its Saturday I'm in.
I think the boat at sporting edge (antioch) is a 26 with a 496 procharger. Btw when are we going to see you on a lunch run. :D
Magnuman... maybe we will see you at konocti (sp?)

Magnuman
04-15-2005, 01:06 PM
Let me know when you are coming up.
I am usually there around cocktail hour, or various cocktail hrs. :smile:
The boat at Sporting edge is a 25.
What is the difference in handling between a 25 & 26 Daytona?

supremeWAXer
04-15-2005, 01:12 PM
i have my magic for a few months now it is awsome conquest are just as good thought i mean they all have the same bottoms so there is no real difference but the bottom line is magics lines are way cleaner.....sleeker...just a better looking boat my opinion but boat amazing boats

Three Days Only
04-15-2005, 01:12 PM
I owned a Sleekcraft......................
Magic and Sleekcraft, more or less the same company, built in the same place by the same people. The product they provided was great, I never had one issue with the boat except for the 496 HO that was put in it but that falls back on too Mercury and had nothing to do with Magic / Sleek except for the fact they sold it too me. Everyone there was always really great and never dicked me over on anything when it involved there boat or any of the work they did in it. When it came down to the motor issue the owner of the company at the time was a major prick. At one point called he called me a liar and refused to assist me with Mercury to try to get my issues taken care of quicker. I guess that Merc finally sending me a complete HP500EFI upgrade answered the question that I wasnt bullshitting to him though. My buddy ended up buying the boat from me and has not had any issues with the boat at all. I have never delt with Conquest, but friends of mine have never complained and have ordered or bought more then one boat from them in a row. That says something. I would test drive both boats and then look at the dollars spent for what you get. If its about the same, pick the boat you like the ride better in and feel more comfortable spending your hard earned money on.
Dont take this wrong, magic / Sleek builds a very nice boat and stand behind there product extremely well. When it came down to a warranty issue with a vendor of theres, I was on my own per the owner. Everyone else there really tried to help in anyway possible and I thank them for that, but Mr. Moyes can kiss my fat ass!!
With Love
3DO

Dave C
04-15-2005, 01:13 PM
what time is cocktail hour? noon?.... sign me up
I have a 25, it handles the rough stuff pretty good but when it gets big (2+ ft), it rocks and rolls. I can handles almost all of the Norcal lakes and delta.
The 26 is 2 feet longer (1'11") and has a deeper tunnel so it handle the rought stuff much better. Plus the 26 is comparable in speed.
If you are looking for a fast light hull the 26 is a good deal.
rock-it-man has a 26 doing 140+, :2purples: mainly because he has a few wires crossed in his head (nuts) ;)
Let me know when you are coming up.
I am usually there around cocktail hour, or various cocktail hrs. :smile:
The boat at Sporting edge is a 25.
What is the difference in handling between a 25 & 26 Daytona?

NashvilleBound
04-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Charley,
I am concerned about quality out of the box. I want to buy from someone who product doesn't need to go back to the factory for problems.
Northern California is a long haul to Arizonia.
Try from TN! I am just hoping for the best.....

Magnuman
04-15-2005, 03:46 PM
I was looking at the specs for Conquest,Magic,Eliminator and domn8er, and noticed that the domn8er weighed in at 6100lbs where the rest were all around 4500lbs.
Why the large weight difference?
I wonder how that affects handling and performance?

Dave C
04-15-2005, 03:49 PM
damn... its hard to say with extra equipment don't know if your getting an apples to apples comparison.
assuming all other things are equal (which they never are), it would be layup, glass to resin. with the heavier boat being slower.

Goodtime$
04-15-2005, 05:37 PM
I believe the domin8er weights more due to the inner liner and all the added strength built into the boat, hence the motto...built to last
they build a killer looking tunnel or......
82k buys you this with an magHO loaded
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2142Picture_019.jpg