PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers

INSman
04-14-2005, 07:53 PM
Okay, the new 29' twin engine Shocker is basically done and I need to make a final decision on mufflers, transom mount.
Now the way I read it ( ***boat Test Mag ), virtually the only muffler to come in under the AZ 86db limit, was the Livorsi Northstars.(HP525 engine) :idea:
I like what I have seen as far as the design, performance and such, but has anyone heard of any experience good or bad with these as they are pretty darn pricey in comparison to most ???

OutCole'd
04-14-2005, 07:55 PM
Check out the Gibsons. I think they are the way to go. Good price also.

INSman
04-14-2005, 07:57 PM
Check out the Gibsons. I think they are the way to go. Good price also.
The Gibson Bullets missed the mark coming in at 88db with a single, and I am running twins :eat:

OutCole'd
04-14-2005, 08:08 PM
The Gibson Bullets missed the mark coming in at 88db with a single, and I am running twins :eat:
Twin whats? They got the 496HO to 85.3db.
Twin 525's and your right, they may not make it legal, but I would think it would get it pretty close.

INSman
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
Twin whats? They got the 496HO to 85.3db.
Twin 525's and your right, they may not make it legal, but I would think it would get it pretty close.
I am doing twin Raylar kits right away, min 540HP, but looking more like I will be doing the bck106 kit that hits 600HP.

ELIMINAT THIS
04-14-2005, 08:26 PM
4x northstars behind 2x 1000 hp blower motors + 10 hrs ='s all 4 junk came apart inside. :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

BLOWN HOWARD
04-14-2005, 08:28 PM
Are they only checking for mufflers at the one spot or are they spot checking on the water also?? (MUFFLERS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!)

rvrpig
04-14-2005, 08:32 PM
Telling ya...try Silent Choice...in may not be tech. legal...(you have to look that up to be sure). A friend of mine has a set and with the silent selected it is a s quiet as a new car. It does not affect his speed either. And if ya wanna run them open then you have that choice. besides...no one looks under the hatch to check the mufflers...they just listen to see if you quiet...not how your quiet.

INSman
04-14-2005, 09:06 PM
4x northstars behind 2x 1000 hp blower motors + 10 hrs ='s all 4 junk came apart inside. :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:
They probably weren't designed to handle 1,000HP, but still somewhat concerning :messedup: :idea:

INSman
04-14-2005, 09:16 PM
Anyone heard anything about the Zoomer Cyclones ??

Indiansprings
04-14-2005, 10:01 PM
I was thinking Northstar's for my 500 EFI. Was talked into the Gibson 's. I sure am glad too. Saved alot of cash. You still know its a healthy motor, Just doesnt have the Krackle. Way within limits. Call Bob at Dana Marine. He has done some testing on the 525. You wont be disappointed. :D

Beer-30
04-14-2005, 10:02 PM
The REX tips are guaranteed for the 525. They are (I think) nicer looking than the Gibsons, but not by much. They are pricey also. The Northstars did not impress me at all. Teagues display at LA had one to show and the mechanism looked thin and weak. Any moving parts with water flowing over them are gonna come apart at some point. I llke the look of the Cyclones. Don't know how they'll do with twins.

INSman
04-14-2005, 10:12 PM
The REX tips are guaranteed for the 525. They are (I think) nicer looking than the Gibsons, but not by much. They are pricey also. The Northstars did not impress me at all. Teagues display at LA had one to show and the mechanism looked thin and weak. Any moving parts with water flowing over them are gonna come apart at some point. I llke the look of the Cyclones. Don't know how they'll do with twins.
The Rex's with a single 525 hit 89.9DB, I can't see how twins are gonna pass, unless they just see that I have mufflers and let me go.

Procraftkev
04-15-2005, 03:45 AM
I went with the Eddie Marine Big Gun Plus mufflers To new to be in the hot boat test.I run the 540ci Merlin 650hp I have not put a db meter but I can tell you there to quiet no power loss.They made a huge impact on the sound output and at 500.00 the price was right and there not clamp ons so they dont look like an after thought.

Chase
04-15-2005, 06:14 AM
Personally I have the Captains call on my boat...but it doesn't matter for a couple of reasons...a small block doesn't make enough noise to worry about, AND there are no noise laws where I boat...just pissed off fisherman.
The reason I chirp in here is I was talking with OGshocker a short time ago with regards to the mufflers he has on his boat....he had concerns of the ones he had as to whether or not they were allowing adequete waterflow out of the exhaust...meaning there was a pressure build up that was harmful to the engine. Now I don't know the exact details, or brand of mufflers, but it would be worth a PM to him just to check....
I know he may not be on the boards for a few days, but still ask his opinion.... :confused: :confused:

Dana Marine Products
04-15-2005, 06:57 AM
When the Gibson's were tested at the Hot Boat muffler review, they did not have external flappers on the ends. The external flappers will detour an extra 1 db off a single engine. On a twin 525 it may be close, but with the external flappers you'll be really close or good to go.

ChumpChange
04-15-2005, 07:07 AM
Mufflers? You don't need no stinkin mufflers!

ELIMINAT THIS
04-15-2005, 07:55 AM
Mufflers? You don't need no stinkin mufflers!
I hope not we will be down in Havasu for the first time 13 days and counting.My boat hit 98-99db on the meter.Hope I dont get :hammerhea by the LE.

CJ
04-15-2005, 09:18 AM
Gibson Bullets brought my 525 to 85db! And they look good! Of course I have quite a few things clinging to my transom so that helps.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/50IMG_0026-med.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/50IMG_0025-med.JPG

CJ
04-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Oh . . . and I spoke to the po po on the lake and each of them said they wrote between 10 and 15 noise tickets last weekend. Still a lot of guys saying, "I'm not putting them on 'til they force me." I have a feeling they will be forcing them soon. Call it a red flag. I hope these guys aren't drinking.
No stress for me!

riverracerx
04-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Hey CJ, weren't you the guy backing into traffic in the channel last weekend? Or were you just trying to parallel park? :D
Just messin' with you. Boat looks killer! :cool:

Beer-30
04-15-2005, 09:31 AM
How about a side-view? Came close to purchasing Channel Dave's dad's 280XP (1999) from Sleek. 502/Procharger/XR, IMCO steering, tabs.
The 280 Eagle is still one of my favorite boats. And yours is my favorite color.
Man, that is one busy transom, compared to mine.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433TransomSM-med.jpg

CJ
04-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Notice, Chris, the only dent is in my ego. Damn wind killed me last weekend. I must apologize to the guy with the orange transom. That is all I saw with my nerves on edge as he gunned it so we wouldn't meet.
I know. I thought any muff I installed would be ugly, but with, the drive, hydraulic steering and trim tabs, the Gibsons blended right in. I have no regrets at all! And they are clamp on, so I will take them off when I hit the big blue now and again.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/50Eliminator.jpg

Beer-30
04-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Ok, I've seen pics before. Just hadn't seen the transom. Very nice indeed.
I am not a windshield kinda guy, so that is really the only tiny thing that bugs me about my Sleek. I'm gettin the small Gibson's for it, by the way. I really just love the Eagle's style. The drawback for us with the Eagle is the door-type opening for the mid-cuddy. We wanted full air pass-thru. That's what enticed us about the Heritage. :cool:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433Cabin2sm-med.jpg

INSman
04-15-2005, 04:38 PM
Well, due to various circumstances, price, availability, unavailability, and speaking to a few folks, I am going to give the Zoomer Cyclones (transom mount) a shot. www.zoomersexhaust.com
They performed very well in the Hot Boat tests, and I get the sneaky suspicion they may one of, the first or the only one to get certified by Mercury here in the near future.
I will keep anyone interested up to date on my personal experience with them, but will not be able to provide and pre/post install comparisons as they will be installed prior to me taking delivery of the boat.

BowTie Rick
04-15-2005, 07:02 PM
You mention price, how much are they? I did not see anything on the link and my HB mag is at work on my desk!

hot_diggity_dog
04-15-2005, 07:18 PM
You mention price, how much are they? I did not see anything on the link and my HB mag is at work on my desk!
I think Dana has them for under $600.00? :confused:
HDD :D

hot_diggity_dog
04-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Switch to the Power curves ;)
HDD :D

CJ
04-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm gettin the small Gibson's for it, by the way.
My friend with a 496 in his 25 Shockwave put the stubby Gibsons on and was tested at 86.2. Fabian, the guy who I have seen testing most people let him go saying that it would be even lower with a few minutes more of warming.

Beer-30
04-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks, CJ. I was gonna just get the Bulletts for the meatier look, since I have such an "empty" transom (not like you would know what thats like!). But I figure why spend the extra money and I figure the smaller ones will provide less back pressure on a 496 than the muffs that will handle a 525.
Like you, I will get the clamp ons. Its not a 525, but an uncorked, watered down big block absolutely makes me whoosey.

TYREPEDDLER
04-16-2005, 06:12 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2398havasu_mar_05_061-med.jpg
Gattlins Gary Teauge 750Hp EFI I was Tested and passed at 83.9 with no efect of hp or mph 99GPS There not removable witch kinda sucks!!

Beer-30
04-16-2005, 09:05 AM
Wow, I didn't think the Gatlins would drop to legal. That's actually great for Magic owners, as there is little room between the swim-step and the tips.

INSman
04-16-2005, 09:21 AM
I will snap a photo of mine (Zoomer Cyclones) next week and post, but I know with twins, full hydraulic steering and tabs, it is gonna' be crowded back there !! :2purples:

phebus
04-16-2005, 09:22 AM
In the new Powerboat magazine, it shows some new mufflers by Custom Marine that have a big chamber on them that is filled with water that the exhaust passes through. Definately different looking.

LHC30Victory
04-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Here is the thread I posted my twin HO results on awhile back. The AZ measurig is done at 50' and my twins passed with room to spare. Now the CA test was real close! the twins even beat the mystical, magical, unreasonable and arbitrary 10 Marina rule.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63823&page=3&pp=25&highlight=multi-engine+noise+testing
Page 3 has my results.

Dana Marine Products
04-17-2005, 09:02 AM
The high performance Gibson bullets are $499.00 a pair (transom mount or clamp on). The new 496 series which are also available in a transom mount and a clamp on are $299.00 pair.
Attention Magic owners with 496 engines....We are making a special Gibson transom mount 496 series muffler with the flange cut at the top. The 496 series clamp on's will fit with no problem, but we are constructing the special cut flange version for new installations or for the customer who doesn't want to worry about theft.

Dana Marine Products
04-17-2005, 09:03 AM
PS - all the new mufflers can be viewed on our website, product photos as well as in use shots.

Essex502
04-18-2005, 07:50 AM
I have personally seen both the Gibson's and Rex's pass the Marina's B.S. 10' (or 3 big steps) test on a HP525 which is louder in my testing than the 496HO. Either will pass the 86 dB(A) limit at 50 FEET which is the Arizona law. Both will be right at the limit per the California test of 88 dB(A) @ 39 INCHES as specified in the CA law.
Remember folks...there are many factors in passing these tests...ambient noise, other boats nearby, people walking and talking near the tester, the air temperature, etc....making the Marina's test unreliable at best. The same goes for other testing procedures as they all specify very detail methods of testing that most LE will not be able to adhere to in most on lake situations. That doesn't mean do not add mufflers/silencers to your boat as you still need to lower the noise level to - if nothing else - not attract unwanted attention. But, quibbling over a couple of dB is missing the point. You need them and might as well get them now.

Dave C
04-18-2005, 08:18 AM
I don't know about you guys but I like the transom mount better than the clamp on.
Anyone else had any experience with transom mounts?
Haven't bought any yet because I don't go to Havazoo. :D

CJ
04-18-2005, 08:52 AM
I like the clamp-ons because I want the option to hit the ocean and open it up! However, I do stress over them loosening.
After a few hard hours on them. I have check them and not any looser.

LHC30Victory
04-18-2005, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=Dave C]I don't know about you guys but I like the transom mount better than the clamp on.
Anyone else had any experience with transom mounts?[QUOTE]
I bought the transom mount Rex muff's because if I put muffs on, they are there to stay! Didn't have any problems putting them on other than the nervousness of drilling into the transom.

Rooster
04-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Can anyone sugjest something for a 502 jet, through transom? It used to be a 500hp crate motor but it is tireing a little. Even so, its pretty dam loud...

Beer-30
04-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Transom mounts definitely look better. I just have to have it uncorked from time to time. Our local lake doesn't care, so I don't want to be full time.

TheEduKATor
04-18-2005, 03:21 PM
The new 496 series which are also available in a transom mount and a clamp on are $299.00 pair.
Dana Marine Products,
What are the numbers on the 496 series clamp on mufflers. I have a 496 Mag and was thinking about the bullets until I saw these. Your website says they will pass the new CA state law what about Az.

hotlavey
04-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I also understand that there is a theft problem with the clamp-on's.

Dana Marine Products
04-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Edukator - The 496 series mufflers will get down to 84-85 db's per Cali law. California is tougher than AZ - so depending on who's testing - the results will vary. Havasu Marina's "unofficial" 10 feet back 86 db requirement is very equivilant to Cali's 3.3 feet 88 db requirement. Clamp on's can have a theft issue. We do offer a theft deturent device that would make it difficult to steal the muffs, unless grinders were involved.

CJ
04-18-2005, 10:38 PM
I also understand that there is a theft problem with the clamp-on's.
Worried about that too!