PDA

View Full Version : Boost ?

Taylorman
04-15-2005, 06:18 AM
Im reading a little about blowers, trying to learn a little. Looking at this chart shows 12:1 limit on pump gas. How is it that you can run 12:1 final compression with a blower on pump gas and only about 10:1 on a NA motor?
Blower Drive Service (http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/techcharts.php)

Taylorman
04-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Come on guys. 52 views and no reply. Someone knows the answer to this.

Snowboat
04-16-2005, 06:42 PM
OK, I'll bite. To answer your question, I don't know, but here are some thoughts. In a flat, you are probably not going to be at 12 lbs of boost constantly, boost is a function of demand, kind of like hydraulic pressure. I also think that you can run higher boost and poorer gas than most people want to. I think that the blower companies are posting a more correct number than the run of the mill layman's opinion. If the timing is kept down and temps are as low as possible, I think you can be pretty adventurous in your fuel, as long as it is monitored very carefully from the beginning of your tests. I think that when the blower companies state those specs, that they realize that they are not dealing with the general public, but with someone that won't just go WOT, without a care in the world. Check it out, not one scientific fact, just some opinions.

steelcomp
04-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Im reading a little about blowers, trying to learn a little. Looking at this chart shows 12:1 limit on pump gas. How is it that you can run 12:1 final compression with a blower on pump gas and only about 10:1 on a NA motor?
Blower Drive Service (http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/techcharts.php)
You can run 12:1 with "pump gas"...you just can't run any timing. With the blower, you're not running any timing either, but it's not a continuous 12:1 as snowboat posted. It's also a "maximum recommendation", not ideal. The more static compression you run, the less boost you can run, and vise-versa.

probablecause
04-17-2005, 05:19 PM
Here is a pretty good summary of both:
Compression -vs- Boost
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost as fast as a supercharger can be bolted on, the question of how much boost can be run is instantly a concern. When building up a motor to be supercharged, you've also got the question of just how much compression to run. Both of these questions relate to essentially the same set of equations. Assuming that all of the other requirements of the motor are satisfied, the compression -vs- boost aspect is not all that difficult.
The only way to make more power is to increase cylinder pressure and burn more fuel. The main purpose of the supercharger is to supply the motor with a more dense air charge, which allows for the ability to burn the additional fuel. By adding a supercharger, additional air should no longer be a problem. Ensuring that there will be enough additional fuel to maintain the proper air to fuel ratio will be the key to using the maximum effective compression.
All motors have a static compression ratio. This is the amount that the air inside the cylinder is compressed. It is a ratio of the cylinder volume at BDC to the volume at TDC. When a supercharger is added, additional air is forced into the cylinder effectively raising the compression ratio. The result of this is called effective compression. The formula for finding the effective compression is very easy:
((boost psi / 14.7) + 1) x motor compression = effective compression.
The effective compression allows a supercharged motor to be compared to a normally aspirated motor. For the most part, a supercharged motor with the same effective compression as a (similar) normally aspirated motor with the same static compression should have about the same overall power.
This may bring up the question that if the overall power should be about the same, why go with a supercharger? The main advantage of the supercharger is that it allows for a moderate compression level during normal driving while allowing for very high compression levels when needed. Obviously a high compression motor of about 14:1 makes a lot of power, but it would never survive daily driving. A lower compression motor is great for daily driving, but greatly reduces the potential for power. The supercharger allows for higher compression levels than could be used without a supercharger, while still offering the benifits of a standard compression motor. Many street supercharged systems will go beyond 18:1 effective compression under boost. Under race conditions, many supercharged race motors will go well beyond 22:1 effective compression. Both of these levels are far beyond what could be done reliably or cost effectively without a supercharger.
This brings us back to the question of just how much boost or compression can be run. Obviously there can't be a simple number that could be used for every application. This is why it's so critical to chose the proper components. It's not necessary to build a low compression motor to use a supercharger, but the correct parts are still necessary. The biggest factors will be in things like head bolts (or preferably studs), gaskets, and the strength of the other engine components. It goes without saying that the incredible power that a supercharger can add, can easily start breaking things. It is very important that as the boost levels rise, the need for a stronger crank, rods, pistons, etc... becomes very critical. Many people forget this as the motor itself is relatively mild, while the supercharger pushes it well beyond the practical limits it was intended for.
Now, back to the compression issue. Anyone who has looked into supercharging has heard that you need a low (static) compression motor. This may have been true once upon a time, when roots type (positive displacement) superchargers ruled the land, but it's not so necessary now. The problem with a low compression motor is that it relies heavily on the supercharger for its power. An 8:1 motor is definitely not going to be a power house. Sure, you can throw 18 lbs of boost on it and get some real power, but why? A higher compression motor of 9.5:1 will have much more power without the blower. Then, with less boost you could easily have the same overall power - only it would be much more usable. Both of the motors (8:1 with 18 lbs boost and 9.5:1 with 12 lbs boost) will have almost the same effective compression and about the same overall power. The big difference will be where you see the power, and how much of a demand will be placed on the supercharger. Obviously, the 9.5:1 motor is going to have far greater torque and low end power as the boost is only starting to come in. It is also going to be much easier to find a blower to survive only 12 lbs of boost -vs- one that would have to put out 18 lbs. It is now very easy to see why a higher compression motor with lower boost is becoming so popular.
Please understand that when I say higher compression and lower boost, there are limits to each. Going over about 10:1 will make the amount of boost that is usable drop quickly to the point that the supercharger is somewhat wasted. In my opinion, anything less than 8 lbs of boost is a waste of a supercharger. Going over 10:1 will also make daily driving with pump gas much more difficult. In this same way, compression levels much under 9:1 will require substantial boost levels to make massive power gains. This would require boost levels that are very demanding of a supercharger. This is truly unnecessary. This isn't to say that the lower compression / higher boost set-up doesn't have a slightly higher potential for power, because it does. A lower compression motor has the ability to contain more volume. This can be an advantage, but is such a minor one that it's not necessarily worth the effort - unless it's for an all out race motor. Even then there are limits for the same reasons as the street / strip motor.
Once again, the compression -vs- boost issue. For a car that will see the streets (actually for most applications), the best thing to do is start with a motor compression that is high enough to make the horsepower you want for normal driving. Don't rely on your supercharger to make all your horsepower. With a good motor compression, add as much boost as is safe for your particular application. Decide on a final effective compression, and work your way back through the formula to find your maximum boost level: ((effective compression / motor compression) - 1) x 14.7 = boost. With the proper fuel system and related engine components, an effective compression of 16:1 to 18:1 should be more than workable. For heavily modified cars, effective compressions over 20:1 should be very carefully considered. Remember, even Indy cars only run about 18 Lbs of boost and reasonable static compression levels. Technology has come a long way and modern day supercharging should take full advantage of this.
While these opinions are not exactly the most popular, they are based on facts and real world performance. While there will always be those who continue with tradition and stick with what was done in the past, it is those who reach for something more that are winning races. Often times, some of the best advice can be found from those who have done what you want to do. All too often it is those who know the least that offer the most advice. After having been involved in supercharging for many years, I have heard it all. Most of it was worthless. It was often the least mentioned things and trail and error that have been the most rewarding. Hopefully this information will help to explain some of the often misunderstood aspects of supercharging.
And another....
Static compression ratio is what you build into the engine by way of dome volume, combustion chamber volume and compressed head gasket volume. Dynamic compression ratio is the maximum pressure that develops inside the cylinder during the compression stroke. Dynamic compression ratio is influenced by the overall engine breathing efficiency (engines with good flowing ports along with an equally matched induction system) and also by the camshaft profile (how much air the camshaft allows to enter the engine and when it enters the engine). Ring seal is also a factor (as rings seat, they leak less, and increase dynamic compression ratio; as rings wear, they leak more, which decreases dynamic compression ratio). Air density is the final factor in the dynamic compression ratio equation. The "better" the air, the superior the dynamic compression ratio. All of these elements must be taken into account when determining the engine compression ratio. The ultimate goal, according to Reher-Morrison is to create as much dynamic compression ratio as possible, without creating detonation.

DEL51
04-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I disagree. I would rather run a low compression gas engine and add boost.WHY? Flexibility! I can run on 87,89,91,octane and up.Change your pulleys to compensate.A static 9:1 ratio is not as good as a 7:1 ratio.In my opinion.The motor I have is designed for a blower and has 7.5:1 comp ratio and at 2800 rpm is zero boost, no load, on plane.I am not high tech and only produce 1127 H.P.On pump Gas with 11 lbs. of boost.I could easily reduce my boost level and run 87 octane.I am guessing with a minimum of 87 and 7 lbs. of boost I would be in the 850 H.P. Range.I think timing adjustment would be part of this total output.I am being conservative.

Unchained
04-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Probable cause,
That's a good explanation, and I think it describes a common band aid for a system with a small or wimpy blower that has trouble makeing significant boost.
When I read about the high HP numbers that they claim from the centrifugal blower systems I wondered if they started out with high static compression and a real good intercooler and didn't need much boost to get some impressive numbers.