PDA

View Full Version : Setting Valves

RiverToysJas
07-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Does anyone know the proper procedure for setting valves on a 460 with roller rockers?
The gap setting for my cam is 23 thousandths and I've been setting them to that with the engine off and cold. I have not had a problem but I'm wondering if what I'm doing is correct or not. Since I have solid lifters, I need to reset them from time to time.
Thanks for any info,
Jason.

oldphart
07-19-2001, 05:26 PM
There is probably a proceedure but I just crank the engine until both valves are closed on 1 cylinder then adjust that cylinder. then crank for the next one. I have an Ultradyne cam in my 460 and the cam card says .026 Hot .031 Cold so it sounds like you might be a tad tight

RiverToysJas
07-19-2001, 06:10 PM
That's just how I do it.
I will call Clay Smith Cams and ask if the .023 is hot or cold. That's the number on my cam card.

okie dave
07-20-2001, 07:31 AM
the way i do it is first mark the balancer at zero, 90, 180, and 270. then turn the crank to zero and look to see if its on number one or six. could be either on a ford. whichever its on, i set the valves for that cyl and then turn 1/4 turn to the next cyl top dead center.following the timing order each time i turn another 1/4 turn and setting both valves of the respective cyl.

Boater Bill
07-20-2001, 07:42 AM
Hey fellow SCHBA member, use this method to set your valves. Rotate engine till intake fully open, then adjust exhaust. Do all exhausts on one bank, then reverse procedure and do the intakes. This helps to ensure lifter is on base of cam at time of adjustment. My experience is to adjust solid cams "hot" but with headers this usually comes at a price to the hands/forearms. If you adjust cold set them "loose" to allow for the lash to close somewhat when engine reaches op temp. You don't want them too tight!!