PDA

View Full Version : towing toyhaulers with a saburban

beach gomer
04-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I have 3/4 ton 4x4 with 6.0 gas and 4:10s the truck also has a cst 6" lift.I'm looking to buy a 26' or up to a 30'weekend warrior.Will i have problems towing or should i keep it small.Like a 26'.please give me some input.

victorfb
04-15-2005, 02:47 PM
figure out what you will be towing wieght wise and go from there. even a 26' tow behind trailer is not hard to lose control of. a 30' would just add that much more wieght, not only the extra footage but the added allowance of cargo. the 3/4 subs work pretty well with thier longer wheelbase than some other suv's, but remember it can only stop so much wieght safely. the trailer brakes are a must and remember they can and do fail, so keep that in mind. how safe do you want your family in that vehicle?

Beer-30
04-15-2005, 03:01 PM
A friend of mine had a 1500HD crewcab with the 6.0. Dropped 3/5, and hooked it to a 27' Weekend Warrior with 2 Z400 quads and all gear. The truck was almost a year old. Going over hills to the beach it would start to get hot and was struggling.
Pulled off the wheels and airbags, took the stereo out, and sold it. Got a 2500HD Duramax/Allison and now just sprints over hills.
WWs are heavy to start. They are extremely stout. With a lighter trailer, you could probably get away with it. I wouldn't work the family hauler that hard. It will end up breaking on momma one day when she has the kids loaded and groceries, and.......

Havasu Hangin'
04-15-2005, 03:07 PM
I think you have a 12,000lbs towing capacity? My 2500 (with a 6" lift) tows 12,000lbs (45' trailer) with no problems...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/dsc00269.jpg
It's a grocery getter, too....
:D

Beer-30
04-15-2005, 03:09 PM
HH, I know that's a 8.1

riverroyal
04-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Ive been towing a 30ft gerabox with 02 V10 excursion,pretty much your set up,,,ours was 2wd,it did pretty well,we towed the trailer everywhere,havasu maybe 8 times ,glamis,ocotillo thru the curves,,,,,,here the best set up i think,,,,put air bags on the rear end,you need the ass end of the sub pretty stiff,about 60 to 70 psi in the bags,,,,,then get a sway control divice,,the best I found is a REEESE DUAL CAM HP(hp the important thing),,it works different then the other sway types,it stop the sway before it starts,cant explain what it looks like,see there web site,,,I installed it at home,took about 2 hours,was easy..also you will need the load dist bars to fit the sway device,total cost about 300 to 400,cant remember,,,,the truck will do fine,just brake real early and set up you brake control right,,,,we were about 10000 pds loaded,its within the load specs........also the biggest thing I found was take your time,let everyone else haul ass to get there,I never tow over 65,and thats on flat ground.....also the 30 ft weekend warriors are triple axle like mine,and dont weigh take much more,the 30ft Gearbox trailer has LESS tongue weight than the 26ft,plus another axle and didnt cost much more,,,,,we started at a 26 and went with the 30,money well spent,,weekend warriors are the same setup for lenghts and axles,,,,,,see ya

riverroyal
04-15-2005, 03:12 PM
i just re-read you post,,,,6.0 lifted,,you may need more motor

Havasu Hangin'
04-15-2005, 03:14 PM
HH, I know that's a 8.1
:D
Actually, the 2500 Subs come with a tranny cooler and the L480E....so they are pretty stout. The only think I added was a weight-distributing hitch- I may still put bags on one day...

sigepmock
04-15-2005, 03:15 PM
I have an 03 2500HD 6.0L and towed a FT2600 Weekend Warrior and it was a struggle on the big hills and long grades. I installed a Whippled supercharger and it helped tremendously but killed the warranty. We just sold the trailer and are looking at getting a motorhome. If I was going to keep the trailer I would have stepped up to a diesel. A couple people here tow toy haulers with the 6.0L and most wish they had the big block or diesel. I would definately stay with the smaller size trailer or upgrade tow vehicles, if you want to tow comfortably. If you don't mind screaming 4000+rpm hill climbs at 45 mph then you should be fine....... :yuk:
Just my .02.
Chris

77charger
04-15-2005, 03:56 PM
I tow with a 6.0 ext cab truck 4x4 4.10 gears stock tires.My trailer is a 21ft carson i towed it the first time to glamis this month loaded 2 quads 2bikes,firewood,all water,extra gas,port gen.(other words loaded pretty good)It wasnt a prob on flat or slight hills did a good job going out there but coming back it was head wind most of the way home i seemed to struggle(kept in 3rd gear and at 60)from brawley to banning only got about 6mpg that part too.If it wasnt for the headwind i would have been fine.I wouldnt go bigger than a 24 with this truck IMO but i am sure you will find someone towing a 26 weekend warrior with a lifted 1/2 ton and the 5.3 motor whos says they have no problem(IMO if you could maintain 65 and still pass and at least 50 uphills you are towing fine)
My previous trailer was an 18ft baja i had zero problems towing that one even in the wind.That extra 3 ft,and little more height i got must add some weight cause i feel it

Magic34
04-15-2005, 07:21 PM
I have weighed my 2005 30' Weekend Warrior and my last 34' boat. The boat weighed about 2000 more than the toyhauler fully loaded and the boat still seemed lighter to tow.
Those toyhaulers don't cut through the wind too much and it seems heavier due to the resistance.
I have pulled a 26' WW with a 6.0L Chevy and it did OK, but I don't think you can pull a 30' with it, it is just too much.
Weight distribution and sway bars should be required on toyhaulers. I tried it first without them, and that was a joke. Get the weight distribution and a sway bar, regardless of what size you go with. It will make a big difference towing.
Hope that helps.