PDA

View Full Version : Jeep repairs gone bad!!

jlnorthrup122
04-15-2005, 07:41 PM
I get off work today and tear into my jeep in the drive to replace the lifters that I got to last weekend so tonight I planned on puttin everything back together so I wouldn't have to do it tomarow!! well to start things off I try to get my wife who sat on her ass all day long today to go get me the head gasket and she refuses :argue: then I get her to go and get the damn thing and then due to the arguement about going in the first place I forgot to tell her to get the intake/exaust gasket :220v: then I can't find my good gasket scraper any where or my fricken shop vac to vacume out the cylinders so I find my shop vac 2 hours later and my junk scraper and proceed to scrape the remenance of the old head gasket off the top of the engine block and vacume out the cylinders then I scrape off the gasket from the head. While doing that I realize I forgot to soak the new lifters in oil overnight and I for got the intake exaust gasket so I drop the lifters in the jug of oil to soak over night and call the parts store and they were all closing as I called them. What a night!! Just as well though Tommarow I will clean the head up and paint it to match the ext. of the jeep (red) and pollish the cast aluminum Valvecover! Ought to look good as the block is black! But that is how my day is going!!! :cry: :cry:

cnj
04-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Sorry dude! Jeeps are cool though..... :rollside:

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2005, 07:50 PM
I have a Sahara myself. I'll change the oil, that's about it! :idea:

JetBoatRich
04-15-2005, 07:50 PM
after all that :yuk: you are better off waiting :cool:

MsDrmr
04-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Sounds like you had a tough evening, sorry to hear about that

jlnorthrup122
04-15-2005, 07:54 PM
The down side is No boating tomarow and tomarow was soposed to be the opening weekend to the season for us!!!! :cry: :cry: I was gonna roll up to my buddies cabin and give em hell while they are fixing there dock!!! :idea: I could skip the second job on sunday and fix the jeep then or go boating sunday!!!

MsDrmr
04-15-2005, 07:56 PM
The down side is No boating tomarow and tomarow was soposed to be the opening weekend to the season for us!!!! :cry: :cry: I was gonna roll up to my buddies cabin and give em hell while they are fixing there dock!!! :idea: I could skip the second job on sunday and fix the jeep then or go boating sunday!!!
Sounds like you had a good day planned for tomarrow. I am sure you'd rather be on the lake then under the hood of a jeep. How long do you think it will take from where your at to complete it. I say, skip the job and reward yourself to some fun

Mardonzi
04-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Sounds like you need to buy a back up rig,, My Rockcrawler is for sale :idea: :idea:

Moneypitt
04-15-2005, 08:07 PM
I hate to tell you this but, installing new lifters on an old camshaft MAY flatten lobes. The lifters you took out were probably concave on the bottom, right? Well that means the tops of the lobes are convex. So, the new, flatbottomed lifters will only be contacting the lobes at the top of the convexed shape, very small area to bare the entire load. I speak from bad experiences on this subject. At least 75% of the time I have seen or heard of new vs old, the old,(cam) loses................MP

jlnorthrup122
04-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Sounds like you had a tough evening, sorry to hear about that
Auhh its all good thanks though! I brought it all on myself though last fall I was mudden it through some 3 feet deep mud holes and hammeres if a little to hard and flattened a few lifters so I parked it all winter and now I want my jeep back! I also have aquired a fuel system problem as well over the winter that I hope I have ironed out by replacing the relay. I pulled the tank last weekend and tested the pump motor and it is good the wires I know are good as well cause my sending unit is reading on the fuel guage! I blew the lines out with 120psi s to so those aren't clogged!! AAHHH the joys of becoming attached to machines!!! My wife says to let it go I am more like the father on the Christmas Storie Movie with Ralphy and the redrider BB gun. The neighbor guy did crack me up though! the guy is a little fem (Not Gay His Girlfriend is hot and I am waiting for her to kick his ass out so's I can move in :D ) He told me I should get the head and header resurfaced!!! I wanted to tell him about warpage and getting a good seal and chit!!

jlnorthrup122
04-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Sounds like you need to buy a back up rig,, My Rockcrawler is for sale
My wife would kill me!! :hammerhea This would be a good way to get even with her for beeing stuborn about getting the head gasket though!! :D It is very tempting but I am gonna have to pass!! I have to many toys and projects as it is!! I myself and starting to see my wifes point about it all these days!! not to mention not enough room either!! but the room issue could be lightened if my wifes friends would get there forking POS 20' Formula off me lot!!!!! :220v: :220v: 2 months turns into 7 months!!!! :mad:
I hate to tell you this but, installing new lifters on an old camshaft MAY flatten lobes. The lifters you took out were probably concave on the bottom, right? Well that means the tops of the lobes are convex. So, the new, flatbottomed lifters will only be contacting the lobes at the top of the convexed shape, very small area to bare the entire load. I speak from bad experiences on this subject. At least 75% of the time I have seen or heard of new vs old, the old,(cam) loses................MP
You are scaring me!! I am not to worried about this I am only running around 200 hp and you got to figure the new cam and lifters had to work together in the beginning so it may be a better deal for the new lifters if you think about it the valves will open a little more than previose is all! I would be concerned on a high performance motor yes but not to scared (just a little for time and effort sake) on this aplication.

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2005, 08:35 PM
You are scaring me!!
I think you're DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!!!! :D

jlnorthrup122
04-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Doomed to driving the minivan foooorrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr foooorrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr foooorrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr foooorrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr foooorrrrreeeeeevvvvveeeeerrrr!!!!! If I don't get the heep fixed !!!!!!!

Moneypitt
04-15-2005, 08:47 PM
Is this a recently installed cam? If so you should be alright. The lifters were replaced because they collapsed?? And they were also new with the cam? Something aint right here..........MP

moneypit
04-15-2005, 08:59 PM
Something aint right here..........MP
you can say that again.... :cry:

jlnorthrup122
04-15-2005, 09:01 PM
Is this a recently installed cam? If so you should be alright. The lifters were replaced because they collapsed?? And they were also new with the cam? Something aint right here..........MP
No its an old cam and if you mean by colapsed lifters as in spongie springs then yes colapsed lifters. I don't doubt you one bit about the lobes its just that even with the new lifters the valves will still not be opening as far as they did when both the cam and lifters where new! I see your point on the flat surface catching on the wore cams surface but the old lifters have more edge than the new flat lifters and the lobes could already be shot I am just trieing for a quick and easier fix is all! I was going to die grind out the pushrod holes in the head so's I could get the lifters out without pulling the entire head next time and may still do so after reading your statement so I only have to pull the valve cover to replace the lifters with an extractor tool!! with the cam its a full motor pull or tear out the grill and radiator n chit! Hoping to avoid this till I am ready for a complete rebuild!

Dr. Eagle
04-15-2005, 09:23 PM
I
Hoping to avoid this till I am ready for a complete rebuild!
:idea: I see a minivan in your future... :supp:

Squirtin Thunder
04-15-2005, 09:27 PM
I would stop now and order a new cam !!!! It is not worth all the trouble and expence of doing a half way job. Also allthe metal will damage the rest of the engine. Bump sticks are cheep !!! Go boating and wait till the new cam gets there !!!
Jim

Tahiti350
04-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Just a thought, Can you explain to the wife why you need to buy new lifters (again), and a cam, a complete gasket set, adn pull the motor. Then you find out that the motor is garbage from the little bits of metal that is everywhere (in the bearings, ground into the sides of the pistons, plugging the oil passages, etc.) A cam and a little more time right now is cheap insurance. It also gives you the option to upgrade to a little more cam fort more fun once it's running again.
Yes, I speak from hard earned experience. Wasted a good motor trying to save $100 or so, but this was a 360 Chrysler in my stock car, and cost me a couple of weeks worth of points, and the point championship also.
Just do it right, and it will pay you back in the long run, even if only in peace of mind.