PDA

View Full Version : Anybody

Dr. Eagle
04-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Ever strike a piece of wood with your outdrive and have it fill the pitot pickup for about 2 inches?
This happened yesterday and the plug was so effective my speedo read 35 mph from then until I drilled out the wood.

Mandelon
04-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Faster than normal eh? :wink:

Dr. Eagle
04-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Faster than normal eh? :wink:
Yeah, I was speeding up to get out of the way of a wakeboarder... :2purples:

Tom Brown
04-17-2005, 10:36 AM
Yes.
Wood is terrible to get out. I've got a lower unit that was plugged so bad, I spent several hours on it and gave up.
Now I run a Rex stainless pitot mounted on the hull.
If I were doing it again, I'd try putting together some fittings to let me connect the air compressor to the pitot tap on the top of the gear case. Then, using a regulator, I'd turn up the pressure until the cork popped.

Dr. Eagle
04-17-2005, 10:38 AM
Yes.
Wood is terrible to get out. I've got a lower unit that was plugged so bad, I spent several hours on it and gave up.
Now I run a Rex stainless pitot mounted on the hull.
If I were doing it again, I'd try putting together some fittings to let me connect the air compressor to the pitot tap on the top of the gear case. Then, using a regulator, I'd turn up the pressure until the cork popped.
I had it happen in the Eliminator and I had to get an extra long drill bit to clear it out. With the Ultra, being an Alpha drive, the pitot doesn't go too far in (and the boat doesn't go very fast) :D