PDA

View Full Version : mobile internet

Brewzed
04-17-2005, 05:34 PM
anyone ever post on the boards with a mobile device? I thought
I would give it a try. I just picked up a SIemens SX65 from cingular. email and internet on the road is pretty sweet

Garrddogg
04-17-2005, 05:47 PM
It is pretty cool i'm on washington and the 10 fwy :cool: postin mobile
(look out frenchie)

Dr. Eagle
04-17-2005, 06:16 PM
Maybe this will finally bring the internet to Beaumont... :D

ColeTR1
04-17-2005, 06:33 PM
What url do you put in and are you using a cell phone. I have internet on my Verizon cell.

Boozer
04-17-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm assuming that the Siemens phone you have connects via GPRS. It has been my experience that GPRS is great for emailing and supporting things like blackberry, sidekick, and trio's but I have had nothing but problems trying to use it as a direct internet connection for web browsing. The fastest speeds I have seen with GPRS have been about 15kbps.
When I worked for TMobile I was connected to the companies blackberry enterprise server wich allowed my blackberry to view web pages in a compressed version. Viewing graphics was awful but I was able to view and post to web forums okay with it. My blackberry is no longer connected to a BES so I can't do any web browsing with it whatsoever and would like to find a good reliable means of being able to hit the internet while mobile since it will save me about $60.00+ a month in directory assistance charges.
So for those of you who post while mobile what are you using? If Californias GPRS networks now provide good reliable access to the internet I may consider connecting my blackberry to a laptop when I'm on the go and need internet access.

unleashed
04-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I have the wireless Erickson unit from At&T for my labtop. So far it works good in Glamis and havasu. Im pretty stoked. Not sure if it will work in Beaumont yet though???
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

Garrddogg
04-17-2005, 07:21 PM
just past through Beaumont!!
:cool:

Dr. Eagle
04-17-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm assuming that the Siemens phone you have connects via GPRS. It has been my experience that GPRS is great for emailing and supporting things like blackberry, sidekick, and trio's but I have had nothing but problems trying to use it as a direct internet connection for web browsing. The fastest speeds I have seen with GPRS have been about 15kbps.
I believe that phone is an Edge phone, a significant improvement over GPRS.

Brewzed
04-17-2005, 07:47 PM
this thing connects via GPRS. So far it has worked all over California and Phoenix. Sometimes it`s faster than usual. It`s usually between a fast dial-up and a slow dsl

Umongus
04-17-2005, 07:56 PM
I use a Palm One treo 650 with Sprint and it's great. The phone is awesome, the servce is good (5 years so far and no problems w/Sprint). Highly recommended....
Tony

Dr. Eagle
04-17-2005, 08:23 PM
this thing connects via GPRS. So far it has worked all over California and Phoenix. Sometimes it`s faster than usual. It`s usually between a fast dial-up and a slow dsl
Yeah, I looked up Siemens products on the web. It is a GPRS connection. My Motorola connects via GPRS or edge, just need to get the cable.