PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Trucks

Eliminator 4 Life
04-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Is there something wrong with the way I drive? My first diesel truck was a 2004 FORD F250 6.0 PS it was lemon lawed cause it was in the shop 10 times in 6 months. So i bought a 2004 GMC 2500 HD Duramax well on the freeway saturday it lost power and started blowing black smoke like a train and I dont even have a chip. So it was towed and hoepfully I will have an answer sometime tomorrow. GOD I have the worst luck :confused: :supp: :angry2:

77charger
04-17-2005, 08:13 PM
na it cant be a prob them diesels are suppose to go 400k trouble free less maintainance,and all that good stuff.
sounds like your injectors are crapping out.seems to be problem these days

Eliminator 4 Life
04-17-2005, 08:18 PM
I just want a truck I have to put diesel in and drive and not have problems. it seems like every truck I touch it breaks :cry: :cry:

Raskal
04-17-2005, 08:51 PM
just bad luck ..that sucks

STV_Keith
04-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Sounds like you blew an intercooler hose. Did the smoke start and you lose power at the same time? Did you happen to hear a "pop" just before you noticed this? Is is still clean at idle (no smoke)?
If so, easy fix and just bad luck.

BLOWN HOWARD
04-18-2005, 06:17 AM
Hey Rob mine did the same thing yours did and it was just the intercooler hose poped off the turbo. Easy fix fixed mine on the side of the road and talked to the dealer and it ended up having the wrong clamp on it it looks tight but was bottoming out.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Sounds like you blew an intercooler hose. Did the smoke start and you lose power at the same time? Did you happen to hear a "pop" just before you noticed this? Is is still clean at idle (no smoke)?
If so, easy fix and just bad luck.
Well a couple of weeks ago I noticed some black smoke when I was on the freeway so I got off and checked it out didnt see much. So then on saturday I felt it kinda chugging along and checked my side mirriors and alot of black smoke and a loss of power. I didnt hear any noise at all I was thinking injectors butwho knows I guess I will find out when they call me today Ill keep you guys posted. Rob

Eliminator 4 Life
04-18-2005, 09:21 AM
Well the dealership just called me and told me the air filter was so clogged it was almost sucked inside out. Shit I figured when it goes to the dealership for the oil changes they checked that shit and they also told me the fuel filter was clogged so they said they would repair all that and do my oil change like I asked them to do since it was there and it would be $255 and see if that fixed the problem looks like Im screwed here.

goneboatin
04-18-2005, 09:25 AM
F'n dealers, now who can you trust?
:hammerhea

Eliminator 4 Life
04-18-2005, 09:34 AM
F'n dealers, now who can you trust?
:hammerhea
Exactly especially when you go to the dealership for 5k oil changes and they check ok in the air filter box wtf is up with that. :boxingguy

goneboatin
04-18-2005, 10:21 AM
You've got the documentation. Make them eat it. If they told you at the time, I'm sure you would have told them go ahead and change the fuel and air filters.
It seems like it's their F-up, not yours. I'd fight it, if they give you any crap, ask for the service manager, if he's a dick, call the GM regional office, do it there in his office. I'm sure they'll eat it instead of getting a bad CSI report, (those surveys they send you every time they work on your vehicle).
Then, go to another dealer from now on. What would of happened if you were towing your boat in the middle of BFE? :angry2:

Eliminator 4 Life
04-18-2005, 11:13 AM
You've got the documentation. Make them eat it. If they told you at the time, I'm sure you would have told them go ahead and change the fuel and air filters.
It seems like it's their F-up, not yours. I'd fight it, if they give you any crap, ask for the service manager, if he's a dick, call the GM regional office, do it there in his office. I'm sure they'll eat it instead of getting a bad CSI report, (those surveys they send you every time they work on your vehicle).
Then, go to another dealer from now on. What would of happened if you were towing your boat in the middle of BFE? :angry2:
Yea good point Im making them eat it right now I hope they dont try to put up a fight I know to many attorneys ha ha. yea exactly if I was towing my boat to Havasu and I was in the middle of the tacahpis (sp) god that would be my luck :sqeyes:

BLOWN HOWARD
04-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Hey Rob dont tell me you are still running that piece of shit stock air intake system???? I thought you said something about changing your exhaust but not sure, I just did the exhaust on mine with the air intake and man what a diff for the money. Let me know if you need the hook up on the air intake

Eliminator 4 Life
04-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Hey Rob dont tell me you are still running that piece of shit stock air intake system???? I thought you said something about changing your exhaust but not sure, I just did the exhaust on mine with the air intake and man what a diff for the money. Let me know if you need the hook up on the air intake
I do hook a brother up cause they cant tell at the service center if a freakin air cleaner is clogged or not. :argue:

HammerDown
04-18-2005, 02:57 PM
The problem is the manufactures (thanks to the EPA) took the simplicity out of the Diesel Engine...with all the computer/sensor controls etc BS :yuk: .

dieseldog
04-18-2005, 06:28 PM
Is your truck an LLY or LB7? LLY = 8th digit of vin is 2, LB7 = 8th digit of vin is 1. A plugged air filter shouldn't make it all of a sudden lose power like you describe. If its a LLY you probably have a bad injector. You don't really need an aftermarket air filter on a dmax, the stock one flows fine and has the best filtration. But the exhaust helps out quite a bit. I know a guy with 548RWHP and 1045RWTQ with a stock air box.

BLOWN HOWARD
04-18-2005, 06:38 PM
Rob i am running the Volant Air Intake and just put the cat back exhaust on last week and this made a huge difference. Cant wait till i put the Edge on it now!!!! Good thing about Volant is they dyno everything. They used my truck for the prototype for the air box and it gained something like 4hp and 15lbs of torque and the gas mileage increased a little bit.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Is your truck an LLY or LB7? LLY = 8th digit of vin is 2, LB7 = 8th digit of vin is 1. A plugged air filter shouldn't make it all of a sudden lose power like you describe. If its a LLY you probably have a bad injector. You don't really need an aftermarket air filter on a dmax, the stock one flows fine and has the best filtration. But the exhaust helps out quite a bit. I know a guy with 548RWHP and 1045RWTQ with a stock air box.
Its a LLY and I picked it up today and drove home and about 40 mins from the dealer it started blowing smoke again so WTF they stuck me with a 336 dollar bill someone is gonna pay for this and its not me that is why I pay the dealership to do the services on it.........

dieseldog
04-18-2005, 08:03 PM
You have a sticking injector. Go back and ask them to make sure your truck has the latest PCM calibrations. Then, tell them to give you some stanadyne fuel additive. It will cure the black smoke and horrendous knock. I know it sucks that you have to add the stuff to your fuel but it really works good. How many miles on your rig?

dieseldog
04-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Oh yeah, tear the service manager a new one and tell him you want the service for free since it wasn't needed and didn't cure the problem.

dieseldog
04-18-2005, 08:10 PM
Rob i am running the Volant Air Intake and just put the cat back exhaust on last week and this made a huge difference. Cant wait till i put the Edge on it now!!!! Good thing about Volant is they dyno everything. They used my truck for the prototype for the air box and it gained something like 4hp and 15lbs of torque and the gas mileage increased a little bit.
where are you getting your edge from? I can hook you up. If you get rid of the cat you will have even better gains. Usually dyno pulls vary more than 4hp and 15lbs of torque between pulls. To each his own but I just dont see the value in the air filters. $300+ for an intake = 4hp. $700+ for and edge = 120hp.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-19-2005, 06:38 AM
To fully understand all this.
I take my truck to a dealership here by my house which remain nameless unless they dont step up to the plate and fix a problem they are responsible for. For all of the oil changes usually between 5 and 6 k miles. It was there in Januray for service and all the inspections they do.
Saturday when I wa son the freeway doing around 75 it started blowing smog and started chuging along so I slowed down to about 55 and it was okay tell I got in the gas again. So I had it towed into a dealerhsip in the Fresno area. I had to rent a car cause service is closed on Sat and Sun. So I could get home since I live a over an hour away.
Monday morning I get a call saying the air filter was clogged and the fuel filter was partially clogged and the service advisor said that is required you change both of these at 15k miles well I had 17 wow I was 2k over so I guess what they are telling me is this is all my fault at this point. She said it was like 250 to fix these items and I said go head and while its there do an oil change.
So Im thinking to myself what the hell I have the air filter checked every oil change and they never said anything was wrong. So i call the dealership that normally services it and start chewing them out. He said it could have got clogged between the last time I was there and now and Im thinking how its been freakin raining for god know how long. So then the SERVICE MANAGER tells me he will give me a free oil change and im like I got over 300 dollar bill and you want to give me a fawkin 51 dollar oil change wtf.
So I called corporate now they are working on it. The dealership I got my truck repaired at told me the main problem was the air filter. So when I called the dealership that service my vehicle and told him that he said when he called there they told him it was the fuel filter clogged. So everyone is lieing and you cant trust anyone. So I drove to get my truck last night paid the 336 dollar bill 126 was for a rental car I got the shaft on everything I got about 30 mins out and it started blowing smoke agian same speed same scenerio so what do I do know Im tired of this shit already had to many problems withthe Ford to deal with this GMC.................. :confused: :confused: :confused:

dieseldog
04-19-2005, 07:03 AM
The main problem is that the dealer that diagnosed your truck doesn't know what they're doing, and you got the shaft on the services. The blowing black smoke and fuel knock is an easy fix for someone that knows whats up with the duramax. You can call me if you want, I am a dmax tech and I will tell your dealer or you how to fix it. Clyde 951-541-8805. I know this sucks right now but your truck will be kicking a$$ again soon.

PHX ATC
04-19-2005, 08:05 AM
The stealer will normally look at the cheapest and quickest route to "fix" any vehicle. Lowest common denominator. They will pull the air & fuel filter line every single time.
If those have been replaced, I would have them check the intercooler hoses again, with a fine tooth comb. Check for wiggles, bubbles, and clamps that might be looking just fine sitting in the garage, but under load, maybe the balloon out and allow the pressurized air to escape. Just a thought.
I personally believe you have an injector issue and would push that down their throats. Have they ever even thought of that or brought it up? There's plenty of Duramaxes out there that have had injector issues, this isn't something new or just isolated to your truck.
If the diesel tech is actually working on it, he should be shot on sight. Shame on the service rep for charging you for the air & fuel filters and not even looking beyond that.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-19-2005, 10:02 AM
The stealer will normally look at the cheapest and quickest route to "fix" any vehicle. Lowest common denominator. They will pull the air & fuel filter line every single time.
If those have been replaced, I would have them check the intercooler hoses again, with a fine tooth comb. Check for wiggles, bubbles, and clamps that might be looking just fine sitting in the garage, but under load, maybe the balloon out and allow the pressurized air to escape. Just a thought.
I personally believe you have an injector issue and would push that down their throats. Have they ever even thought of that or brought it up? There's plenty of Duramaxes out there that have had injector issues, this isn't something new or just isolated to your truck.
If the diesel tech is actually working on it, he should be shot on sight. Shame on the service rep for charging you for the air & fuel filters and not even looking beyond that.
The first suggestion I made was injectors but obvisouly they didnt want to listen to what I had to say........

PHX ATC
04-19-2005, 12:03 PM
The first suggestion I made was injectors but obvisouly they didnt want to listen to what I had to say........
Make it your first suggestion again.
Reiterate that it was your first suggestion the first time.
Then beat them senseless about the head and neck. :hammer2:

BLOWN HOWARD
04-19-2005, 07:51 PM
To each his own but I just dont see the value in the air filters. $300+ for an intake = 4hp. $700+ for and edge = 120hp.[/QUOTE]
Filter system was free, and the edge is only going to run me about 600 installed if you can beat that price let me know. I would gladly take you up on the offer. And the Volant Exhaust only ran me 350 installed for a fully polished stainless system. Do you know anything about the motor throwing the engine light when removing the cat???

BLOWN HOWARD
04-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Mine did it once also and they gave me two bottles of the Stanadyne and cured the problem now i run a bottle through a couple tanks of gas every three months.

SBullet
04-19-2005, 08:13 PM
To each his own but I just dont see the value in the air filters. $300+ for an intake = 4hp. $700+ for and edge = 120hp.
Filter system was free, and the edge is only going to run me about 600 installed if you can beat that price let me know. I would gladly take you up on the offer. And the Volant Exhaust only ran me 350 installed for a fully polished stainless system. Do you know anything about the motor throwing the engine light when removing the cat???[/QUOTE]
Blown Howard!!
Where did you get your Volant exhaust install? I am looking for an exahaust and intake for my new 05' F250 Diesel....

Eliminator 4 Life
04-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Mine did it once also and they gave me two bottles of the Stanadyne and cured the problem now i run a bottle through a couple tanks of gas every three months.
Chris PM me you phone number again so I can call you tomorrow thanks. E4L :cool:

BLOWN HOWARD
04-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Filter system was free, and the edge is only going to run me about 600 installed if you can beat that price let me know. I would gladly take you up on the offer. And the Volant Exhaust only ran me 350 installed for a fully polished stainless system. Do you know anything about the motor throwing the engine light when removing the cat???
Blown Howard!!
Where did you get your Volant exhaust install? I am looking for an exahaust and intake for my new 05' F250 Diesel....[/QUOTE]
A place called muffler city in Upland. My dad is running the Volant air intake but he got the Banks exhaust cause volant didnt have one out back then. Really happy with there products. The owner takes pride in his product.

dieseldog
04-20-2005, 07:36 AM
To each his own but I just dont see the value in the air filters. $300+ for an intake = 4hp. $700+ for and edge = 120hp.
Filter system was free, and the edge is only going to run me about 600 installed if you can beat that price let me know. I would gladly take you up on the offer. And the Volant Exhaust only ran me 350 installed for a fully polished stainless system. Do you know anything about the motor throwing the engine light when removing the cat???[/QUOTE]
Well I didn't know you got your filter for free, I guess that is a good deal then!!! LOL. Edge installed for $600 is a really good deal, I can't beat that. I know all about the Check engine light on when removing a cat on a LLY. Easy fix. I've also seen on some of the air intake systems where the filter is clamped on inside a box, when the engine torques on the mounts and moves, it would pull the filter off the pipe and the filter will be laying inside the box. Just watch it and make sure it has some room to move.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Well I didn't know you got your filter for free, I guess that is a good deal then!!! LOL. Edge installed for $600 is a really good deal, I can't beat that. I know all about the Check engine light on when removing a cat on a LLY. Easy fix. I've also seen on some of the air intake systems where the filter is clamped on inside a box, when the engine torques on the mounts and moves, it would pull the filter off the pipe and the filter will be laying inside the box. Just watch it and make sure it has some room to move.[/QUOTE]
Clyde I just wanted to say thanks for all the help it was great talking to you and I hope to do business with you in the future. It is good to know there is someone out there that has the knowledge on this truck like you do. I just got off the phone with the dealership the mechanic is mia and so is the truck so he said he was out testing it and that is what they have been doing with it for the past day so he said he would call me when he gets back. Clyde we need to get you down here at my local dealership shit if you werent so far away I would bring it you next time. :D

BLOWN HOWARD
04-20-2005, 09:21 AM
I know all about the Check engine light on when removing a cat on a LLY. Easy fix.
Ok so give it up cause i need to get the cat off!!!! Are they ever going to require it for any type of emissions in the future were i have to worry about it?

Eliminator 4 Life
04-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Clyde whats your thoughts on the BD Intiminator
http://www.bd-power.com/

dieseldog
04-20-2005, 10:33 AM
I know all about the Check engine light on when removing a cat on a LLY. Easy fix.
Ok so give it up cause i need to get the cat off!!!! Are they ever going to require it for any type of emissions in the future were i have to worry about it?
You need to install a circuit to "fool" the MAF sensor because it is seeing more air flow than it expects to because of the decreased exhaust pressure and more air through the engine. I've heard about emissions testing on diesels in 2007 but who knows. The cat is simple to install/uninstall if you ever needed to, I would throw it up in the rafters for sure because they are about $600 if you ever needed to buy one.

dieseldog
04-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Clyde whats your thoughts on the BD Intiminator
http://www.bd-power.com/
The intimidator "extreme" is 115rwhp, but it doesn't show live data and costs more than the predator. The predator has performed well for me. I haven't used the intimidator personally.

Jordy
04-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Ok so give it up cause i need to get the cat off!!!!
http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21428
As far as running cats on diesels, after about 75K miles they tend to start hurting performance because of all the particulates building up and restricting them. My '94 Chevy had a cat, flunked emissions once, talked to a guy who told me about the cat issue, took mine off, hollowed it out, put it back on, and it ran like a new truck and sailed through emissions. ;) :D

Eliminator 4 Life
04-20-2005, 10:53 AM
The intimidator "extreme" is 115rwhp, but it doesn't show live data and costs more than the predator. The predator has performed well for me. I haven't used the intimidator personally.
Clyde the web site says it does diagnostics and helps the allyison just wanted to get your thought on it my buddy wants me to try it on my truck it is about 150 bucks more thenthe predator he also told me he has been getting alot of stalls with the predators on the duramaxs have you heard anything about that? Thanks again

Eliminator 4 Life
04-21-2005, 05:13 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW FAWWWWWWWWWWWWWKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
Im so pissed right now. As much trouble as I had with my ford before it is starting all over again with this duramax. Shit cant I get something with out problems well actually I do have something with out problems my ELIMINATOR its freakin turn key everytime. Well I took the truck out of the garage and drove across town parked it came outside and a puddle of oil underneath it come on GMC WTF :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm:

BLOWN HOWARD
04-21-2005, 06:20 PM
WoW i am really starting to lean towards operator here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the shit Rob cant you not break anything, besides the boat.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-21-2005, 08:31 PM
WoW i am really starting to lean towards operator here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the shit Rob cant you not break anything, besides the boat.
I was thinking operator to but I havent done a damn thing to this stocker. I guess if this one is a wash. Dodge always has one and it wont be red again. I have the worst damn luck........ :clover:

STV_Keith
04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Buy a 6-speed manual Dodge. Good luck breaking that. :220v:

slingingsmoke
04-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Buy a 6-speed manual Dodge. Good luck breaking that. :220v:
All the NEW six speeds were put on hold. The new handshakers are MB trannies. Not Dodge.
There was a stop due to puddling of fluid under the case. Needless to say, now they dont even have a good handshaker like they used to.
Plus, why would you buy a Dodge?
The Cummins (which will soon be phased out and have a Mercedes diesel) is an awesome motor. The old 12V are by far the best and more "shadetree mechanic" tuner friendly, but the rest of the truck falls apart around the motor. I'd rather have my Superduty. Then when my PSD dies in about 250,000 miles, I'll do a Cummins Conversion. Yeah BABY!

Just Tool'n
04-23-2005, 02:25 PM
So is it a Chevy or a GMC?
If you are ever in Fresno with a breakdown, the only dealership to have it towed to would be Hedrick's/ Hallowell Chevrolet in Clovis, they are an awesome dealership with top notch mechanics, plus can do warranty work on any GM Badge name, except Cadillic, that means if it is a GMC, they can do warranty work there, becauce I would never ever let the Idiot's at Kitahara GMC work on any vehicles, especially a Duramax.
This comes from knowing the mechanics at the dealerships for over 15years now.

STV_Keith
04-23-2005, 02:35 PM
All the NEW six speeds were put on hold. The new handshakers are MB trannies. Not Dodge.
There was a stop due to puddling of fluid under the case. Needless to say, now they dont even have a good handshaker like they used to.
Plus, why would you buy a Dodge?
The Cummins (which will soon be phased out and have a Mercedes diesel) is an awesome motor. The old 12V are by far the best and more "shadetree mechanic" tuner friendly, but the rest of the truck falls apart around the motor. I'd rather have my Superduty. Then when my PSD dies in about 250,000 miles, I'll do a Cummins Conversion. Yeah BABY!
Everything available today is still NV5600 shifted. Brute trans. Why wouldn't you buy the best motor out there? The Dodge's these days are a FAR CRY from what Dodge put out in the mid 90's.

slingingsmoke
04-23-2005, 04:43 PM
you can no longer ORDER a new Dodge with the NV 5600 anymore..

Eliminator 4 Life
04-23-2005, 10:06 PM
So is it a Chevy or a GMC?
If you are ever in Fresno with a breakdown, the only dealership to have it towed to would be Hedrick's/ Hallowell Chevrolet in Clovis, they are an awesome dealership with top notch mechanics, plus can do warranty work on any GM Badge name, except Cadillic, that means if it is a GMC, they can do warranty work there, becauce I would never ever let the Idiot's at Kitahara GMC work on any vehicles, especially a Duramax.
This comes from knowing the mechanics at the dealerships for over 15years now.
Im sorry you feel that way well you can chaulk one up in there books for a mis diagnose (sp) on my diesel and I wont be back there again.....

dieseldog
04-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Well what happened with the oil leak??

Eliminator 4 Life
04-28-2005, 06:44 AM
Well what happened with the oil leak??
He told me they were sloppy with the oil changes and there was a bunch of oil sitting in the cross member there go figure you pay 51 bucks for an oil change then you gotta take it back :lightsabe