PDA

View Full Version : In Your Humble Opinion's

mororless
04-18-2005, 05:25 AM
My first boat is not yet in the mold yet. Hopefully this week. But because of money issues I only ordered the 5.0L carbureted motor. I have been told that is P***y motor.If I cancel my cable I will be able to upgrade 1 to either the 5.0L MPI or the 5.7L carbureted Motor. Which one do you guys thing would be better? Thanks for your help. Got to get ready for work. IÂ’ll check in a work during the day( I hope)

racecar.hotshoe
04-18-2005, 05:31 AM
How much is your new boat?

SDLifesaver
04-18-2005, 05:52 AM
If you have to cancel your cable to do a motor upgrade are you going to be able to put fuel in it? Insurance? All the crap you have to buy to be legal on the water? Fire extinguisher, life vests for all persons aboard, oar, throwable cushion, sound device, ect. Might want to make this purchase when finances are a little better. No disrespect but a boat can be a HUGE financial burdon. Good luck, and buy the biggest motor you can afford because going slow SUCKS. You will hate yourself later if you don't do it right now. Take it from someone who hates themself.

riverbound
04-18-2005, 05:53 AM
what kind of boat did you get ??? Size ???
That motor woudl be fine a skiboat or somehtiung small. But if you are buying a larger boat and then you are skimping on the motor to keep your self in a "big" boat you will be sorry.

UnionJack
04-18-2005, 05:56 AM
RB... No more Al's for you?

riverbound
04-18-2005, 06:12 AM
RB... No more Al's for you?
No, Had to find a job that gave me weekends off. Retail was really getting in the way of River time.
I keep meaining to stop by the salon and say Hi, But I have been very busy lately.

UnionJack
04-18-2005, 06:21 AM
we are getting busier everyday... who should I talk to down there to take care of some thing?

riverbound
04-18-2005, 06:37 AM
Darren is still there. He will get you setup.
Btw= I need the name and numbers painted on my new boat. DOnt you have a hookup ??

Burley1
04-18-2005, 06:42 AM
No such thing as too fast, and I have to ask "aren't you cutting it a bit close, having to cancel cable or whatever" Just a thought
But I would get the biggest thing I could buy
:cool:

Dave C
04-18-2005, 07:57 AM
get the biggest you can afford! screw it, spend some money you don't have either. :D
you never hear any of us say that got too much power, (except the insurance co. of course.) ;)
cable sucks anyway.

Nubbs
04-18-2005, 08:40 AM
My first boat is not yet in the mold yet. Hopefully this week. But because of money issues I only ordered the 5.0L carbureted motor. I have been told that is P***y motor.If I cancel my cable I will be able to upgrade 1 to either the 5.0L MPI or the 5.7L carbureted Motor. Which one do you guys thing would be better? Thanks for your help. Got to get ready for work. IÂ’ll check in a work during the day( I hope)
Another thing to consider is resale. I doubt anybody will want to buy a used boat with a 5.0.

Chase
04-18-2005, 08:44 AM
I am thinking mororless is more on the less side.... :D :D

Roxysnow
04-18-2005, 08:51 AM
Damn! I can understand wanting to purchase a new boat and all but maybe you should consider purchasing a used boat. You'll get a much better package (maybe bigger engine) and depreciation will be less. Cancel the cable anyways! You're going to be at the river all summer!

Beer-30
04-18-2005, 08:59 AM
No, keep the cable, cancel new boat and buy INSman's!

mororless
04-18-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks for all the input. The boat is a 21' Aftershock.
It's not that I am cutting it that close in the payment just trying to make sure that I do not become 'boat poor', that I can go out to the Havi/River and not have to sweat the small stuff like gas and food. Trying to work on a budget is all. I will go BIG though I think the resale and just having the extra power there if I want it.
Thanks All.

riverbound
04-18-2005, 11:57 AM
My advice will still be to at least get the 5.7. When (notice I said when not if) you decide to go to a larger boat you will be happy you spent the extra money and got the bigger motor. Look through the boat trader and you will see the underpowered boats in their week after week. It will be reall hard to sell that boat later on down the line.

goneboatin
04-18-2005, 12:30 PM
If you do the 5.7, go with the MPI - It always starts, no flooding, it adjusts for altitude changes if you go boating somewhere else. I've got the 5.7 Mag MPI in my 22' Howard. It's not the fastest boat out there, but it's not the slowest. It'll do about 60 mph full of gas and bodies. Plus with the MPI you get the Bravo 1 outdrive, not the wimpy Alpha 1 drive. If in time you upgrade to a 496, you'll be good for up to about 475 hp without it grenading.
But don't buy more boat than you can afford. If something breaks and it's out of warranty, $$$$. A yearly full blown service will set you back at least a grand, and that includes changing out the seawater impeller (a must, cheap insurance). I don't want to sound like your parents, but if you need to cut back now, don't buy it.

Tom Brown
04-18-2005, 12:39 PM
If I cancel my cable I will be able to upgrade 1 to either the 5.0L MPI or the 5.7L carbureted Motor.
Don't cancel your cable. You need that.
This is why God gave you a spare kidney. :cool:

jbtrailerjim
04-18-2005, 01:18 PM
I really suggest not getting the 5.0. When it comes time to resell that boat, it will be very undesirable to a lot of people. I'd at least get the 5.7. I had a 22' Essex with a 5.7LX (carbureted) in it. It only ran 55 but it sure was good on gas. Pulled skiers and wakeboarders fine. If you can pony up the extra cash I'd get the 350Mag MPI.

Speedin' Ian
04-18-2005, 01:23 PM
Just get the 5.7 carb motor, unless you can pony up the dough for the 5.7MPI, that motor will probably push you into the high 50's, maybe even 60 with perfect condtions. Plus the carb motor runs fine, definately do not get the 5.0, you will kick yourself everytime you go out.

jackpunx
04-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Save the money.. and get a used boat.. there are a bunch out there.. they are from guys like you that needed to have something brand new.. and realized what they really liked after they got it.. so they sell them cheap because nobody wants the under powered boat..
this way.. you can save some money.. and not be boat poor..
otherwise..
just buy everything.. then make your budget around boating.. everything else takes a back seat..
have fun and be carefull :D

riverbound
04-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Save the money.. and get a used boat.. there are a bunch out there.. they are from guys like you that needed to have something brand new.. and realized what they really liked after they got it.. so they sell them cheap because nobody wants the under powered boat..
this way.. you can save some money.. and not be boat poor..
otherwise..
just buy everything.. then make your budget around boating.. everything else takes a back seat..
have fun and be carefull :D
This guy knows all about buying sometihing underpowered than having to build it up after the fact ;) ;)
JP, we are going to have to hook up soon, now that I will be a Stoker owner I might be able to hang out with you :D My next trip out I should have it (first weekend in may)

Kilrtoy
04-18-2005, 03:21 PM
You have got to be kidding right...
That boat wont even do 50 with that 220HP motor.....
Buy a used boat.....
SCUBA STEVE has a 21 aftershock with a jet for the same price and it already has a crazy stereo in it...
If not....6.2 MIN motor...... or the 350 MAG....

Beer-30
04-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Seriously, look at USED! I had my heart set on a new one also. Then I started wanting bigger motor, and didn't want to start from scratch on the stereo. I limited myself to $55K. I was approved for 100. I could've gotten either a brand new 21-22 footer with base motor, maybe a 6.2 for the money. I started looking at used and saw few year old Eliminators, Cheetahs, Nordics, SleekCrafts, everything. And that was winter time! I found mine in December and bought it in January. So I started looking at base 21s and 22s. Ended up with 30' (bigger than I wanted, but oh well!) with nice starter stereo (2-10s, 6 6x9s, 600watts, 10 disc) and a 496HO. Disc brake trailer, bimini, nice strap-on (don't go there) cover. Sure, it doesn't have a warranty anymore, but at 140 hours, I don't care! I know I won't be wanting a bigger boat for years to come.
INSman's 23' Dana already has a grand stereo, two props, an HO, low hours, and I guarantee you're gonna pay $45k-$46K for that Aftershock when all is said and done. Hell, he may be even lower by now! The guy has a new one with twins ready for pickup....take advantage of it!

Kahuna
04-18-2005, 07:11 PM
I got the 21 AfterShock Skier last year with the 6.2 Merc and the top speed is in the low 60's. I went with a new boat because I want to go through the whole new boat building experience. I got the boat for about $36K and wallk out the door for about $39K with tax and fees.

INSman
04-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Yeah, what is this guy thinking ??? :hammerhea :hammerhea
Dude, call me quick and you will have a boat next weekend !!
Don't play around with anything less than a 496, and when was the last time you saw a good write-up on that Aftershock you are looking to buy ??? :jawdrop:

MAINEVENT
04-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Buy a used boat (Save a ton) to carry the fam bam and float you around... And when you feel the need for speed Get some gas money, a bottle of goose, and towels for a good wipe down and be a Boat Biatch to some one who has a faster boat for a day :D

Mrs. Bordsmnj
04-19-2005, 07:27 AM
We just sold our 21' Aftershock over the weekend. It had the 6.2 in it and only went around 60 or so. :sleeping:
Follow the advice on here and go the used route.