PDA

View Full Version : how many people really work on their own stuff?

Dave C
04-18-2005, 10:19 AM
How many of you really work on your own stuff? I not talking about you oil change guys either. ;)
Are you not afraid to dig in and get really dirty? such as starters, water pumps, fuel pumps, modifications, cam, exhaust changes, etc. etc.? Even if you take it to someone occassionally for their "expertise," do you do most of your own work?
Also I know EFI requires diagnostic tester but would you remove and replace and freshen up your motor or swap out non-efi parts?
I used to do this stuff all the time but I'm getting old and lazy.
Also we already know that you flat bottom and jet guys work on your own stuff. We have been reminded too many times already, damn it ;)

JetBoatRich
04-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Probably not as much as I should :messedup:

Spotondl
04-18-2005, 10:31 AM
Also we already know that you flat bottom and jet guys work on your own stuff. We have been reminded too many times already ;)
Damn Skippy!!! :D :D :D

Tahiti350
04-18-2005, 10:38 AM
I do all the work on my stuff except for the Diesel injection system. Too much expensive shiat to screw up there. I have a small handheld analyzer that will work on all my cars, and am not afraid of a little EFI work :rollside: . I'm one of the ones who figured out how to swap the early GM Crossfire injection to older cars and make it all work :idea: . Didn't have the luxury of all the books out now, just wiring diagrams and system operation knowledge. Put a Crossfire system on a 265 cid SBC, ran hard (for the CID) and pulled to around 5500, plus got 26-28 mpg in an '87 Monte Carlo. :D
For those without the ability or desire to work on your own stuff, you are missing a big part of the fun of having the toys in the first place. :devil:
"Yes, I built it myself!!" :cool:

Dave C
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM
so you put the red wire on the yellow wire and when it made a funny noise you moved it to the green wire... repeated this until it worked?
I hear ya!
. I'm one of the ones who figured out how to swap the early GM Crossfire injection to older cars and make it all work :idea: . Didn't have the luxury of all the books out now, just wiring diagrams and system operation knowledge. Put a Crossfire system on a 265 cid SBC, ran hard (for the CID) and pulled to around 5500, plus got 26-28 mpg in an '87 Monte Carlo. :D
:

FastTimmy
04-18-2005, 11:12 AM
For the cost of paying somone else I can srew it up two or three times..... :D

lucky
04-18-2005, 11:17 AM
I have not found any one to work as cheap as i do :rolleyes:

Jbb
04-18-2005, 11:19 AM
I do....cant afford it any other way...But I do sometimes trade out paint work for other things..

Tom Brown
04-18-2005, 11:35 AM
I do....cant afford it any other way...But I do sometimes trade out paint work for other things..
... like maybe putting some tribal flames on a barrow in exchange for some shovel work?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF0050.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF0052.JPG

Jbb
04-18-2005, 11:39 AM
... like maybe putting some tribal flames on a barrow in exchange for some shovel work?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF0050.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF0052.JPG
That would be vacuum work....Kanatard.... :D

Tom Brown
04-18-2005, 11:41 AM
That would be vacuum work....Kanatard.... :D
I forgot how you jet boys do it.

Jbb
04-18-2005, 11:43 AM
I forgot how you jet boys do it.
Bad memory ....that explains why you were so grumpy in our interview..?

gnarley
04-18-2005, 11:46 AM
If there is a problem on the water I might be able to fix it since I know all my junk, I don't work on the upper or lower unit internals but I do everything else. That gives me piece of mind since there are so many shops that let unskilled workers do the little things that turn a good job to crap.

beer hunter
04-18-2005, 12:54 PM
I used to do a lot more of the wrenching crap myself (cars/jeeps, boats, bikes) but in the last 4 or 5 years, it's just been easier to pay someone else and save the skin on my knuckles :D

Tom Brown
04-18-2005, 01:04 PM
I don't mind doing some of my own maintenance to save a few bucks.
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/primerHull.jpg

superdave013
04-18-2005, 01:24 PM
maybe if I just paid someone the thing would get done.
what fun would that be?
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/48corner_rounding-med.JPG

jackpunx
04-18-2005, 01:25 PM
I pay someone and he gets it done right.. the first time.. when you think about it like that.. in my case Im saving money..
Plus Im way to pretty :D

It's Only Money
04-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Today in this busy world it's all about having the time. When I do I dig in and do what's necessary. I've built motors from the ground up. Don't anymore because I have the resource to have others do so. But, when I have the time I do all of my own maintenance. Priorities in life sometimes dictate that I farm this out but I would prefer to do it myself because I know it was done right if I do.

mirvin
04-18-2005, 01:45 PM
It depends on what it is......I'll do it if it makes sense. Like routine maintenance...brake jobs, etc. If it's easy and it'll save a few bucks I'll do it.
For instance, my Silverado needed a new itake gasket. $12 part. The dealer wanted $1100 to do it and my truck would have been out of comission for a week. I just did it at home on a Saturday and was back on the road....
mirvin :wink:

Dave C
04-18-2005, 01:53 PM
Looks like I should have put two more options:
#3: F*ck that. I specialize in my job (i.e. making $), let someone else specialize in working on my boat.
#4: I own a whacka so I have to go to a mechanic. Whackas are so complicated Einstein himself couldn't figure it out.
:notam:

BOBALOO
04-18-2005, 01:57 PM
I do everything myself b/c I am a cheap bastard sometimes. I also turned wrenches for 9 years so I know what I am doing but it is just a hobby now.
This winter I put a new cam and lifters in, had the heads done but I assembled them, and bought the outdrive alignment tool and taught myself how to check the drive alignment. Money saved, ALOT, plus it is relaxing to me to work on my own stuff and know it is done right.
If you break down on the water I can probably help.
A few weeks ago I installed an Edge lift on my 4x4.
And last night I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.........

Boozer
04-18-2005, 02:00 PM
For the most part I do all my own work. With the boat so far the only thing I have done is added oil to the drive when its gotten low and swapped a couple busted props. I got really lucky moving the boat to Havasu because the guy who stores my boat is really good friends with some well known boat mehcanics. I just had a 100 hour service performed on my boat and it cost me a 12 pack of beer. If it weren't for having that hook up I'd have done it myself.

OkieDave
04-18-2005, 02:02 PM
I do a lot of my own work including building the mold, the hull, the motor and the pump. and rigging. and the trailer.

Restless22
04-18-2005, 02:17 PM
I am way to perttty. Dave, :2purples:
You know how we do it. :hammerhea
Dam...If I only had a boat to work on!!

Forkin' Crazy
04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
I did all mine. The only thing I didn't do was build the hull....
Here I have installed a light weight flywheel:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/767flywheel2.jpg
:cool:

Tom Brown
04-18-2005, 02:21 PM
.... this time. :D

Tom Brown
04-18-2005, 02:28 PM
Here I have installed a light weight flywheel
I'll bet you lightened it yourself.
What's with the middle carb hanging down? Can't you keep that OMC together?

phebus
04-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Here I have installed a light weight flywheel:
:cool:
Man, now that's a beer bong!! :D

Forkin' Crazy
04-18-2005, 03:44 PM
I'll bet you lightened it yourself.
What's with the middle carb hanging down? Can't you keep that OMC together?
I didn't loctite the bolt. :yuk: The reason the heads are off, is I thought it digested it because the motor was rattling. Turned out to be a magnet had come unglued in my flywheel.. :confused:
I was so happy that it didn't go through the motor, I got light..... er lit! :cool:

Tom Brown
04-18-2005, 03:46 PM
By the way FC, I love those cleavage air horns. :D

Dave C
04-18-2005, 04:08 PM
wow the results surprise me. I didn't think so many would roll up them sleaves and dig in. I thought it would be the exact opposite.
Well I knew you whacka guys would work on em because you have no choice in the matter considering you have to wrench all the time. :devil:

Forkin' Crazy
04-18-2005, 05:57 PM
wow the results surprise me. I didn't think so many would roll up them sleaves and dig in. I thought it would be the exact opposite.
Well I knew you whacka guys would work on em because you have no choice in the matter considering you have to wrench all the time. :devil:
LOL!!! mines been together since '98. I guess it's about time for a rering, water pump, etc. :cool:
You must have me mistakened for one of the Mercury guys! :rolleyes:
The main reason is I know it's right. I don't want to get into anything that will scare 100mph with some yahoo working on it! :rollside:

Dr. Eagle
04-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Probably not as much as I should :messedup:
:idea: Probably more than I should...:D

77charger
04-18-2005, 06:15 PM
same here.

cdog
04-18-2005, 06:28 PM
A good test would be, how many guys here have a mercruiser engine. I'd bet 95% in the IO croud do. I'd also bet that 98% of the jet and Vdrive croud builds their own stuff. I'm a vdrive guy with a IO now but will come back to my roots someday.

Dr. Eagle
04-18-2005, 06:30 PM
A good test would be, how many guys here have a mercruiser engine. I'd bet 95% in the IO croud do. I'd also bet that 98% of the jet and Vdrive croud builds their own stuff. I'm a vdrive guy with a IO now but will come back to my roots someday.
Personally I'm comfortable doing most anything on the engine... the outdrive... that's another story altogether. On that piece of equipment... I'll change the oil and that's it!

cdog
04-18-2005, 06:45 PM
Personally I'm comfortable doing most anything on the engine... the outdrive... that's another story altogether. On that piece of equipment... I'll change the oil and that's it!
I agree. On my Vdrive I built the BBC 496 in it. It was fast but a real pain in the ass. This time around I had the engine built for me but I did the wiring harness and the serp belt set up. The good thing is, I know what everything is and does so if I have to pull a micgiever I know what i'm workin with. As far as the drive goes, well I put them in the same field as transmissions and rear ends on cars. Theres such a small margine of error, better to pay someone to do those for ya.

dave186
04-18-2005, 06:57 PM
i have a jet, so i guess i have to work on my own stuff. and i have never taken my own vehicles to any other shop than a tire shop, but now i work at one so i even gotta mount my own tires!

Mandelon
04-18-2005, 07:01 PM
For the most part I do all my own work. With the boat so far the only thing I have done is added oil to the drive when its gotten low and swapped a couple busted props. I got really lucky moving the boat to Havasu because the guy who stores my boat is really good friends with some well known boat mehcanics. I just had a 100 hour service performed on my boat and it cost me a 12 pack of beer. If it weren't for having that hook up I'd have done it myself.
Yah, those Bayliners can get tricky! :p

Dr. Eagle
04-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Yah, those Bayliners can get tricky! :p
Anything slapped together quicker than you can say "tripple mocha" is likely to be tricky... :D

Tom Brown
04-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Anything slapped together quicker than you can say "tripple mocha" is likely to be tricky... :D
Doesn't boozer drive a Bayliner TM-23?

Dr. Eagle
04-18-2005, 07:09 PM
Doesn't boozer drive a Bayliner TM-23?
Is that the Tripple Mocha 23 foot special edition... Festus... Eh?

superdave013
04-18-2005, 08:20 PM
I'm a vdrive guy with a IO now but will come back to my roots someday.
Once you're hooked your hooked. I bet you feel like you're cheaten on your past roots every time you fire up the new I/O. lol
I've checked out your old rig. Nice schi schi you had there.

Kindsvater Flat
04-18-2005, 08:32 PM
I build all my own stuff. Not many can afford a Pfaff engine.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_motor2.jpg

Dr. Eagle
04-18-2005, 08:35 PM
I build all my own stuff. Not many can afford a Pfaff engine.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_motor2.jpg
How does that thing run inverted like that?.... ;) :D Is that one of them bottom feed carbitators... :D

Kindsvater Flat
04-18-2005, 08:37 PM
As you can see I'm changing the oil. :D

Dr. Eagle
04-18-2005, 08:39 PM
As you can see I'm changing the oil. :D
It's nice that engine pops out of the boat so easily for the oil change... :wink:

Mandelon
04-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Are you kiddin,? I bet its a bitch to get the boat flipped over and pulled off the bottom of that motor!!!! :eek:

Dr. Eagle
04-18-2005, 08:45 PM
Are you kiddin,? I bet its a bitch to get the boat flipped over and pulled off the bottom of that motor!!!! :eek:
Oh that must be Mandella... the sangers are super easy....

cdog
04-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Once you're hooked your hooked. I bet you feel like you're cheaten on your past roots every time you fire up the new I/O. lol
I've checked out your old rig. Nice schi schi you had there.
It's tough. I have plans to get another someday. Funny how some guys will never what it's like to drive a v drive. I put a lot of work into that boat. While I love what I have now, I search for pic's every once in a while to get that fix. I'm glad he's keepin her lookin good. She was kinda like a first love.

Dave C
04-19-2005, 09:17 AM
no not really... all you do is stab it at the wrong time and it goes right over. ;) :supp: